Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Dug myself a heck of a hole.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So, firstly, hello! My first post here, though I've done a bit of lurking.

Secondly; I've a bit of a problem on my hands. Our college is taking part in a competition where we must design and create our own version of Asteroids. I've come up with an idea (which for now, I'll keep quiet ), but the entire thing follows the basic setup for an Asteroids game. Single screen, multiple levels, multiple Asteroids that split, a ship, lives, perhaps some powerups, as well as start screens, game over screens... I have no models, no sounds (yet), and litle to no knowledge of DB code.

The problem: I have to write and design the entire thing in 1 week. Well, 6 days now. I did work on a version in Flash, however as I'm relatively new to programming, Actionscript killed me. I'm using the College's version of DBPro to make it now, with the downside that all I have is the book that comes with the CD version to guide me.

So, I was rather hoping that firstly, someone could let me know if my task is possible. Can I get something worth looking at out in a week?
Secondly, as I want to try and do this myself, could anyone provide me hints and tips for a plan of action? Should I develop models first, then the sounds, then the game itself, then the little things (start and end screens), or go another way? I have SketchUp, but what recommendations could people give for making models (While the game will be as the usual asteroids, I'm hoping to use some 3d models, if that makes sense.). I also own Audacity, but is there some resource page with generic sounds? (lasers, explosions etc.)

Thankyou to anyone and everyone who survived the wall of text and can offer a newbie some advice
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2008 19:54
If you are a capable C++ programmer I would suggest getting your hands on DarkGDK. It's free with Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express.

The reason being that the only way I can think of that you might be able to crank this out in a week is by using sprites. You can crank out some simple 2D graphics as your models using a decent paint program. Should be able to do that in just a few hours if you aren't to artsy fartsy with it..

The reason I suggest DarkGDK is it's faster at handling sprites. With an asteroids game you could have around let's say 50 sprites on the screen at any given time, which is going to be REALLY slow in DBPro.

Make a few sprites of different sizes and make a test with DBPro. If you can get 20-25 sprites moving around on screen at once and maintain a reasonable frame rate then you should be ok using DBPro.

Then it's just a matter of coding the game logic, which doesn't sound to bad.

Aerie
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, to be fair, we've only really focused on VB.NET at College so far. From what I hear it's got similarities, so maybe it might be easier running that way
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2008 22:58
I'm always willing to admit when I'm wrong. It may have only been the circumstances that I was using the sprites under that caused the slowdown.

My last suggestion may be your best bet. Throw some simple 2D graphics together and toss them into a demo and see what you can do with it. Given that WindowsKiller can get over 100 sprites moving around on screen at once without a major slowdown on an old system, it sounds like it wont be to difficult.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 14:25:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 14:25:47