Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] If your thread has been locked...

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 06:53
It was probably me as an attempt to clean up the Showcase forum.
If you post about your game without a download per the rules your thread will be locked.
BatVink was nice enough to leave the threads open but the fact is that nobody has attempted to make any change yet and if your thread does not meet the requirements it will be locked as usual.
Please remember that this is a Showcase forum and the idea is for people to stop in and see what's up not to attempt to avoid the place.
This is part of an ongoing attempt to clean up the FPSC forums.
I appreciate your cooperation and understanding.
Special thanks to BatVink and all of the other mods who have given us a hand around here.

RIP Floating Skull unknown-2007 we will miss you in FPSC x10
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2008 01:31
Wait im confused whats this rule, ive been away for awhile again, you have to have a download in showcase now?

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2008 01:43
Apparantly that was the rule from the beginning.The sticky must have gotten moved over the last two or three years.
If you post about a game you have to have a downloadable game/demo in the thread.
Look at it this way...
If someone has to have a downloadable game/demo to post about their game in the Showcase forum at least you know they made some effort instead of slapping some crappy screenies in multiple threads as tends to be the case around here.
Over time we can clean up the Showcase forum so people will want to come and visit here.
The name of the forum is "Showcase".
It's time we starting living up to the name.

RIP Floating Skull unknown-2007 we will miss you in FPSC x10
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2008 02:02
Really.
Well if i visted the forums as much as i used to, id be pretty upset with that rule lol. But its whatever. you do have a point dont get me wrong. But it seems like the reasoning behind that rule is to keep newbs from posting their first wips.

Death has no end
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2008 02:09
A "Showcase" really sounds more like showing something off rather than offering it up to play

Anyhow, not really that much trouble to setup a demo, is it?

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2008 02:14
Quote: "not really that much trouble to setup a demo, is it?"

it is for newbies who want to make a thread showing off their game and asking how to make a demo. And it is when your trying to show off the geometry and layout of a level, but dont want to release it and give everything away. It is when your not ready for a demo, but youve still built enough of the level to be able to build revenue and fans for the game. thats just a really dumb rule, but im not going to argue with it, im not in charge. but i can guarentee you, your already losing peoples respect tgc. All i have to say, is instead of locking the newest threads, you better get to the old threads that have no demos, and all screenies. Other wise its a double standard.

Death has no end
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2008 04:58
It also takes ages to upload it on filefront if you have a crappy internet connection. It took me the better part of a day to upload Codename: BLAMMO!!!'s demo. It also took up a lot of my monthly usage.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2008 05:11
True. For that matter, I think the majority of my projects haven't had any demos, but then again I didn't have a whole lot of them.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2008 16:03
It's actually been stickied since August 8th, 2006. If people don't read the stickies (or tha AUP), then they can't complain when threads get locked for legitimate reasons.

Quote: "http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=86163&b=25"

This may sound harsh, but it needs to be said. Dealing with posts and emails from people who complain when rules have clearly been breached takes up a ridiculous amount of time. Mods don't have time to monitor every thread, nor should they have to. All mods are normal users who offer up some of their time to keep this place in order.

Many things don't get locked because there isn't the time, or a little leniency has been offered to keep the peace. Right now, there's too many posts suffocating the work that deserves to be here. It's not double standards, it's cleanup time.

Don't be under the impression that this is being done to annoy people; it's quite the opposite. Many people come, and go in a short space of time, leaving a wake of destruction behind them. The majority of dedicated forum users and users of the products understand and appreciate why the forum needs to be cleaned up from time to time.

Finally, there are always discussions happening behind the scenes on how to improve things. Changes take time, and are only implemented when those concerned are happy that they will help not hinder.
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2008 22:05
I understand what your trying to say, and i agree to an extent. ive been around for ages here. And ive read every sticky. Im pretty sure EVERYONE was under the impression you didnt NEED a demo, you just needed a screeny, a video, a demo, something of that nature. But i still think it is a double standard. if your gonna spend the time to lock these "Work thats suffocating the work that deserves to be here" you should be locking ALL of the famous threads that dont have demos, thats over half the posts in showcase. But wait you wouldnt do that, cause you dont want to piss everyone off, its just the new posts that are getting locked. idk bat after saying what you say i just get offended even more, but like i said im not trying to argue this rule.

Im just trying to state my opinion on it.

Quote: "
Right now, there's too many posts suffocating the work that deserves to be here. It's not double standards, it's cleanup time."

Well if you can spend the time locking like 13 new game posts, whats stopping you from spending a couple more minutes and locking the older threads. is it cause if you do that, you know your going to have ALOT of pissed off people? thats impression im getting.

Death has no end
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 00:06 Edited at: 27th Apr 2008 00:07
I just locked a showcase thread by bloodeath because he asked for it to be locked.

However, personally I will not necessarily lock threads that do not have an attached demo download. A worthy showcase post does not necessarily need one as far as I am concerned but it should be worthy in other respects. A downloadable demo in and of itself may also not guarantee what constitutes a worthy showcase post in my opinion - it depends on overall content.

Other mods may have a different opinion and they may take appropriate action as they see fit.

"There are those who said this day would never come - What have they to say now?"
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 00:07
I just made a topic in the general discussion about this thinking this thread was locked, my bad please delete it and I'll leave my response here.

I think the demo rule is a bit extreme. The main members of this section of the forum are younger users new to the world of game design. Asking them to release demos of their first game (which are sure to be poor quality) is just just going to crush their game-making esteem quicker than some constructive criticism on a screen.

I see what you are trying to do, and I respect that you want a more structured community, but some of the long lost projects on this board have been an inspiration to the community, even without demos.

Add the risk of piracy and media stealing to your list and you're ensuring only stock media games dare to be posted, and rarely even then.

Seems like you're suffocating the creativity, just my opinion.

Paul
foobly
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with Bloodeath. Being an owner of one of the 13 or so posts that were locked, I must ask the question, why do you lock our few posts, even with the required screen shots, but you don't lock other posts without a download able demo?

If you're worried about people abandoning their work and never updating again or something, and need something to prove their merit to post on the freaking showcase board, then how about you lock posts with a week of inactivity or something.

If you're gonna lock posts citing a lack of download able demo, then lock ALL of them, not just a few new guys'.

Thanks.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 00:12
I'm with Paul112 on this one, no doubt. You're limiting peoples' creativity with this rule, mods.

foobly
Years of Service
User Offline
A.I., did you ever upload a demo to your KOLA thread? I don't see it getting locked in an effort to "clean the showcase."
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 00:39
A demo may be released within the Today-Monday timespan.

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 04:14
I don't have a problem with mods locking threads, as long as they have a good reason. I just wish that when you lock our threads, you say why you locked it. Is that too much to ask?

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 04:15
Note the may. I like your sig though AI

[img]
[/img] Official Airmod fanboy. Member of the Airlside fan club
TeamASP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 05:53
Locking threads? How about deleting threads? May I request someone of authority to close/lock/or much better, delete this thread of mine, TGA - by Team|ASP since that idea was already in the city's dumpsite.

Independent Game Creators of ADdU - Team|ASP
foobly
Years of Service
User Offline
@A.I. : I mentioned in my post that I would have a demo of my game very soon. Now I'm just going to have to needlessly create another post for the demo, adding another topic to the total count. Doesn't that cause more clutter than just allowing users to expand on their current existing topics?
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 14:48
Showcase threads should relate exclusively to a members game development and make available for all to see evidence of some serious thought and development along the road to an end. i.e. making a game.

Some of that serious evidence is enough as far as I understand any common sense and reasonable interpretation of any AUP or forum rules.

I have an opinion on the interpretation of the forum rules. It is not necessarily that of TGC or the other Mods. I personally will not lock Showcase threads simply because they do not have a demo. If that is the rule as intended and I do not beleive that it is, then I personally will neither support it nor enforce it.

Make no mistake though, threads which do not show some serious evidence and indication of a serious attempt at gamemaking will be dealt with harshly and without warning as they have always been.

"There are those who said this day would never come - What have they to say now?"
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 00:19
Quote: "Finally, there are always discussions happening behind the scenes on how to improve things. Changes take time, and are only implemented when those concerned are happy that they will help not hinder. "

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 05:24:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 05:24:51