Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Total Newbie!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, i'm a total newbie...in everyway, i've looked at this site and understand some of the stuff...i'm gonna be the darkbasic hands on vol 1 and 2 (should i or are they too outdated?), and i want to start small (like i hear u should lol) with pong, but i want to add in more than just two bars and a ball...i want to add in a story *think twisted metal meets pong*, and have a picture in the top corner showing ur chosen player and the character ur going against (while ur playing the classic pong way of course) The story would of course be done in a show picture and text comes up on the screen kinda way. So is this kinda game possible for a newb? And other than dark basic professional...what else should i be looking into buying? (dunno if i should dive into blender 3d for something like this lol) thanks any and all help would be great! thanks for all the time anyone takes out to read this.

"Tastes like Halloween"
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2008 00:23
Start with basic pong. You'll learn a lot from just that.

Then add to it.

Things you'll hopefully learn from pong are,

- Timer based movement
- Collision
- Vectors (possibly)
- Object creation and movement
- Sprite creation and movement
- Scoring

There's more, but you get the idea. A very simple game can get complex pretty quickly.

You probably don't need to "buy" anything else at the moment. Almost everyone will recommend you get Sparky's Collision DLL which is free. There are several other free DLL add-ons too that cover many of the things you might need for just about any game project.

Dig in and throw pong together and see what happens.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 14:20:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 14:20:21