Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / My Future Plans for a Space Tradeing game. (Questions)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 10:57
First off I just purchased DB Pro a few days ago.

My plan for the past year or so off and on is to make a Space Tradeing Game. With Research,Tradeing,Exploreing,Combat,etc.

My question is where must i start when learning the DB Pro language that will lead me to makeing my game? What should i read tutorial wise? I found alot of FPS and RPG tutorals but nothing that dealt with the kind of game i would like to create.

Will the game engine in DB Pro beable to handle the kind of game id like to make? Can it handle Persistant systems? Or would i need to buy or create my own game engine?

Do i need to buy any of the other programs that are on this site for the kind of game i want to make?

Someday id like to make somthing simular to EvE Online or Star Sonata but offline and not really as Massive as those though.

I have alot of ideas rolling in my mind its just i dont know where to start. Lately ive been dreaming on what the game will look like just wish my dream was a realality already hehe.

I know i should ignore the media part for now and do the codeing first but when the time comes im not sure how im going to do the 3D Modeling,Story Telling,Voice Overs,etc. I say this is cause i dont know how to do any of those and hireing people to do those i hear can get extreamly expensive. Im a 1 man team err will be lol.

Could i please get some suggestions,advice etc?

Thank you very much in advance for the help.
StevetS
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there, check out the stickies, the tutorials and start small. (e.g. pong, invaders, asteroids, pac-man, defender, etc.)

You could start on your trading game from the off but what you'll likely find as you go along is that you'll constantly be re-writing and re-writing your code as you learn more and become more efficient / experienced.

I think Star Wraith was a space game written in DB (though I've never played it) and it shows the kind of things you can do.

Check out the 3D and other media forums for links and recommendations for good (and free!) modellers, audio software, etc. Read the stickies first. Don't buy anything until you are sure you're going to need it and its going to be a benefit.

And most of all when you come to do your Opus, Plan It Out First - all of it, into big blocks, then break the blocks down into smaller blocks, then break those down into smaller parcels of code until you've thought of everything and know how to put it together. This is most important part of programming (and doesn't even need a pc to do it).

Then go to your computer and start coding.

Good luck - will look forward to seeing it develop.

JamesJB34
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 16:01
ok thank you for the help.

Incase your wondering i do want to make money off the games id make (if there good of corse ) in the future.
CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 18:30 Edited at: 28th Apr 2008 18:31
reminds me i got Dark basic classic nearly 7-8 years ago and got dbpro for almost 5 years now. my plan was to make almost the same game as you are planning...and still havent started making that yet, still learning

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
JamesJB34
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 18:44
So about 13 years learning? i thought this language was suppose to be "easy"?

hmm ill be like in my early 50's by then before i even get around to makeing the game i want and by the time im done i might be in my 70's or early 80's . Whats the point? i could be dead by then.

Sorry for sounding so negitive just wish i started when i was alot younger . Didnt realize the "learning" was going to take so long.
CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 20:30
oh no, the language is so simple to learn..i think i got that fixed in 2-3 months period only.

just havent got in the mood to make the game for the last few years.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
JamesJB34
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 03:11
Oh ok then i apologize for my negitivity. I just took/read it the wrong way.

Sorry
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 19:24
It helps if you have some programming experience in pretty much any other language. This is BASIC, so it's really easy once you have a general understanding of variables, conditional statements, and loops.

I started with AppleSoft BASIC about 24 years ago, so this is like a blast from the past for me..

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2008 03:32
If you are completely new to programming, then many tutorials will probably be over your head at first as they assume you know the basics.

Tutorials 1 to 4 here will get you started so they make a little more sense:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99497&b=10

TDK_Man

JamesJB34
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2008 08:49
Yes i am somewhat new to programming,i tried teaching myself C++ but i almost went bald lol.

In school long time ago i learned a little programming on the apple,wich kinda looked like this;

10 hi
20 goto 10
30 end

or what ever it was but i got a D in computer literacy
forgot what that language was called but it looked easy.

thank you TDK for the info.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 14:29:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 14:29:44