Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Would it be a good idea....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 21:26
Ok basicly, im in YR 11, last year of secondry school and about to do my final exams, then i start college in september for 2 years and then uni to game development. Would it be a good idea to learn DBPro instead of c++. im having a realy hard time trying to grasp c++ and i know DBPro is a hobby lanquage, i find it realy easy to catch onto it and once ive totaly finnished DB, should i move onto c++, i think and my ICT teacher thinks if i have experience in game programming with a simpler lanquage, i will find it much easier to cling onto the more complex lanquages like c++. So do you think it would be a good idea or would i be wasting my time with DB?

- Stephen
Twinsen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 00:12
yes, always learn a BASIC language before a PASCAL one and a PASCAL one before a C one

Could you help me treat my injured Dino-Fly ?
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 19:37
I don't really know what the current thinking is on the subject, but it used to be that you had to learn BASIC first, then you had to choose either ANSI C or Assembler. (yes I'm dating myself again.)

Slightly more recent information leads me to believe that C++ should be a good first language, since many of the other current languages look and act a lot like it.

In the end if what you're after is learning to write videogames for a living, almost all of the AAA titles out there (if not all) are written in C++. Recently things are turning towards C#, but a good understanding of C++ is certainly going to help either way.

Stephen Young
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 20:02
Ah well my friend is going to borrow me a C++ book he used when he was doing c++, hes onto c# now, but ill have a read of this book and have a good dig into it, i hope i can follow, thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

- Stephen

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 14:28:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 14:28:48