Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Help needed with objects & camera's...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 12:39
Ok, I have this code, that I get from various sources from the net. It works fine, but only one problem exists, I will list it now...

I tried to get one code to work together with another code (splicing codes,) & when I try to get my camera to jump, the code calls for an object 1 to be present.

I dont have an object 1, & I am trying to create a first person shooter style movement (to learn & add onto.) What I want to do, is create a box & make that the player 1 object (for tests until I can get my object made.) I want the cube to be what the other players would see, if they joined my game (depending on the net.)

Since this is a first person shooter, I dont want the cube to be visible, I just want it to be there acting as object 1. How would I go about making the cube invisible, while also keeping object 1 (which I wish to be the cube) there.

Do I use one of the lock commands to get the cube to be the player, & if so, how do I keep the cube from being visible on the screen (like it would be in half life, or another first person shooter?)

I will post my code for anyone to see if they need to...

Thanks,
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 13:09
This is how you do it:

make object cube 1,1.0 : ` create a cube
hide object 1 : ` make it invisible
anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
The FPSEngine provided free for download on the Cartography Shop site is a nice template for a FPS... I converted it to a 3rd person engine myself...

Attreid
Years of Service
User Offline
ccart'shop look good, and I'd like to buy it, but ... with the demo, we cannot try the levels, so I won't buy it ...
anakin, do you can tell me how you do sliding collisions with a wall that isn't .. hmm ... that doesn't have a 0,90,180 or 270° rotation ?
I tried and failed.

"He will come...the voice from the outer world,
bringing the holy war, the Jihad, which will cleanse the Universe and bring us out of darkness."
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 16:36 Edited at: 6th Jul 2003 16:37
I didnt know you could even do rotations other than 0, 90, 180, or 270 degrees. Anakin, how do you do them in CShop 2.8? I own CShop 2.8, but I dont know half of the features in it.

Oh, & BTW Attreid, I think that if you convert a .x map into a bsp map, the collission is done automaticaly, even though im not sure if it will (I havnt tried, I just read.)

Thanks,

Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 19:51
Hey, just a quick question, but is it possible to make racetracks in DBPro, like seen in FZero X for N64? I have tried CShop, & I couldnt get it right, I want to have loops in my tracks, but im not sure if I can do it with matrix's, so is it possible in any other way to do this kind of effect in DBPro?

Thanks,

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 21:36
you could make a .x model, but then you have to do all the collision, maybe .bsp's can do it???

hi guys
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 21:43
Yeah, I went ahead & made a model of a racetrack before you replied, & I had already tried to convert it to bsp, but the bsp had errors, so I decided to just make it a .x file, now for my next questions...

Lets say I have a nice little movement code, a square, a third person camera, & the .x & the skin for the .x file loaded into my project all in source. Then lets say I want to make my track in place of the matrix, so the player could drive on the matrix. I can do the collision, but how would I make my code, so that I could walk on the .x file.

The .x model also has a loop in it, for the player to go around. Based on the little that I know right now, which I will post what all I have in a source, what all will I need to add to make this work properly?

Note: I dont have the collision done for the .x in this source, but I do play to add it in a bit.

Thanks,

anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "ccart'shop look good, and I'd like to buy it, but ... with the demo, we cannot try the levels,"

Attried- I meant they offer a demo... um game sort of, not the actual CShop itself... In this "game" they have their source...

Here is the FPS demo I was telling you about:

http://darkbasic.fileburst.com/cartographyshop/dbfps.zip

I really like the organization of this FPS over the demo ones that come with DB or DB Pro... (Although DB had a really good step by step tutorial...)

Quote: "anakin, do you can tell me how you do sliding collisions with a wall that isn't .. hmm ... that doesn't have a 0,90,180 or 270° rotation ?"

I'm really new to DB/DB Pro, and I really don't understand the difference between sliding collisions and just collisions... But in CShop, you can export a .col file which are the collision information for your created level... Then you can use a function provided by the FPS Engine demo with this .col file and now the level can be traveled in and you wont walk through walls.... Sorry if this doesn't answer your question.

Quote: "I didnt know you could even do rotations other than 0, 90, 180, or 270 degrees."

hmm... yea I don't know the answer to that but the screenshot is picture of the player in third person perspective... the camera is just in front of the character... hmm Id guess that would make it 180... anyways when Im finish with the template I was going to release it as a ThirdPersonEngine/template if anyone could use it...

Quote: "Hey, just a quick question, but is it possible to make racetracks in DBPro, like seen in FZero X for N64? I have tried CShop, & I couldnt get it right, I want to have loops in my tracks, but im not sure if I can do it with matrix's, so is it possible in any other way to do this kind of effect in DBPro?
"

I think it is possible, in fact I might be able to do it with this Third person engine by substituting a car in as the player model... RPGamer posted a link for NuclearGlory.com for a collision DLL but it came with a demo (DarkBASIC demo dont know if it will work in PRO) of a race track up in the air... it looks like a sonic racing game...

I guess I can post the file somewhere, if RPGamer doesn't post it again... it sucks this forum doesn't have a search engine... or am I wrong about this?

Quote: "but how would I make my code, so that I could walk on the .x file."

The way I did it required CShop, and I used the plugin available on the CShop page to export .col. Using the URL to the FPS Engine above as a template, you can see how Josh loaded in the .col file and the function he used... The FPS Engine is extremely well organized which is why I like it so much... He separated a lot of code such that the main .dba file is extremely short.. You can probably just extract what he did and paste it into your code... hopefully

Anakin
anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
No one probably cares but I thought I'd show another pic... Working on monster AI and the fighting engine... on a plain flat area...

anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
um guess I should of cropped it down ... :/
cypher
Years of Service
User Offline
I DL the http://darkbasic.fileburst.com/cartographyshop/dbfps.zip but it is missing some files, DBP says can't find blah. blah blah.

any ideas?

Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 23:56
I have that problem with al my DB files, I just can't get them compiled in DBpro.

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 10GB HD, Riva TNT2 Ultra 32mb
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 00:03 Edited at: 9th Jul 2003 00:06
first rule of getting help for technical subjects

can`t find blah blah blah

is not helpful, how would you feel if I replied "well! just alter the wotsit and tweak the dooda", could we have the error messages please, what it normaly means is something has not been unzipped to the correct location or you have moved the exe outside the program folder or not got all the required files in the program folder, or you put the program folder somewhere it doesn`t want to be cos you didn`t read the read me, I do swear some people think we where all at their house watching and saw what happened

Mentor.

@Anakin, could you edit that piccy or remove it please, it makes the thread twice as wide as my screen

cypher
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, ok, my bad. DBP says it can't find file "filename.dba" even though the files do exist. I even added the whole path "c:\dpbpro_fps\data\updatecollision.dba" and I get the same result starting with a file I don't even have called;

progs/loadentities.dba

So I "rem" the include for that and then it moves on to the second file -progs/listenerparent.dba which I do have yet it says it cannot find it either, even when I put in the full path.

Could it be that I am trying this at work with a machine that only has the DBP demo on it and not the DBP full version with 4.1 upgrade?

Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 01:28
i got the full version of DBpro end got it patched to 4.1 but i still get errors like: Runtime ERROR 1003 - could not load bitmap at line 35. this was when i tried to compile ICED but when i compile it whit DB it works perfectly.

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 10GB HD, Riva TNT2 Ultra 32mb
anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
Well the FPS engine won't work in DBPro since DBPro changed some commands and its full of bugs... I mean Append Object command which is still supported doesn't work in DBPro or at least it didnt for me... I wrote about all kinds of problems/errors/bugs I encountered in the DBPro Discussion forum area... as you can see by responses towards the end, it became obvious that the DBPro fanboys wanted to argue about anything but the problems...

I own both DB and DBPro and all the software offered by Dark Basic Software, including the audio/video programs as well... Trying to migrate to DBPro became a problem because of DBPro itself... I didn't know I was buying a beta product or I would of waited until it was more stable... I can't get Animation to work very well via the APPEND OBJECT command.. so I gave up for now...

Anyways, there is a DBPro FPSEngine floating around.. but its full of bugs but it could possibly be DBPro's bugs.. Unable to tell or care until DBPro is more stable...

Anakin
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 17:05 Edited at: 9th Jul 2003 17:08
you should get a load if you put in the full path and it is all
correct, the first error is because your included code is trying to
load something you don`t have, (as you worked out), I take it you
have read the readme for the included routine?, this sounds like you
are trying to load a level from matedit or something that provides
collision data for your levels, I am pretty sure matedit does not
work with pro at the moment, (I use all my own home grown systems so