Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Cubic mapping not working...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Just downloaded the demo to try it out, but I can't get cubic mapping working.

Here's my code..(I've only been using this for about 30 mins, but I'm not a newbie to coding)

The images are valid textures because they work when I set them normally. But whenever I use set-cubic mapping I either get a black model or a shaded one.. No texturing at all. What am I doing wrong?
AntonyW3
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh I have a g4-4600, so it's not a hardware issue.

haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 20:20
If you want to see the cubemap easily try texturing it first with a pure white bitmap. That makes it work fine here...

project: light/obscurance mapper (85% done)
AntonyW3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 20:32 Edited at: 6th Jul 2003 20:33
Worked. Cheers.

I tried bump-mapping though, same code just replaced the cube-map func and it just exits on the function. Even in debug mode, with no errors..

Jesus, is this supposed to be stable software?

haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 20:36
Bump mapping is a little hit and miss. It has worked perfectly well on my radeon8500 since release but unfortunately not on everybodies elses cards. Hopefully U5 will fix these problems once and for all.

project: light/obscurance mapper (85% done)
AntonyW3
Years of Service
User Offline
Same deal with reflection shading.

No wonder they took out all the examples in the demo version, they'd only highlight how utterly unfinished this product is. Why did they release it so early?

Never mind, back to Blitz3D for me. :p

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 20:58
Quote: "if image exist(j) =false then end"

thats in your code. true and false is not accepted in db. only or and and are acceptable in db.

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
AntonyW3
Years of Service
User Offline
Doesn't matter. False =0, and since false isn't a valid keyword/const in DB it will be referenced as a variable. I.e 0. Same deal...

In this case anyway...

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 12:36
Quote: "
No wonder they took out all the examples in the demo version, they'd only highlight how utterly unfinished this product is. Why did they release it so early?
"

First of all, the demo is way out of date I think from September of 2002. The new demo will be coming out with upgrade 5. Upgrade 5 improves bumpmapping further and introduces Direct X 9 Pixel and Vertex shaders for both Nvidia's CG and Direct X 9 FX files.

Upgrade 5 will be out soon. The demo of DBPro is unfortunatly so out of date that it gives DBPro a bad rap, but the current language is nothing like that old out of date demo. Just wait for Upgrade 5's demo of DBPro and I think you will see that its not nearly as bad as you think.

Dark Basic Pro -- The luxury for game programmers everywhere
AntonyW3
Years of Service
User Offline
What do all these new features matter though, if the old ones are not working?

It's a shame, because spec-wise I should be using DB_pro... But reality-wise it just isn't worth it so far. I'll reserve final judgement until the new demo is out though, only because you mentioned the word Cg..Which made my skin do a good impression of a goose pimple bump-map.

AntonyW3
Years of Service
User Offline
This bump-mapping, is it that impressive and fast enough for actual real-time use(On a 128b ddr g4 4600? I don't care about lesser cards or market audience...I just want to create something to compensate for my pennis size. (Nah it's freakin' huge.))

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 12:58
What do all these new features matter though, if the old ones are not working?
"

Well they are not new features. They are Direct X 9 High Level Shading Language and Nvidia's CG which basically replaces the old assembler way to create Vertex and Pixel shaders. DBPro can use all three methods, Direct X 9 HLSL, Nvidia's CG, and the old Direct X 8.1 method of shaders.

A brand new bumpmapping shader is being used that is simply more stable and robust than the old assembler shader. You can change these shaders at will, just by loading the .FX file and applying them to the model.

However, that demo that you are using is old and out of date and does not represent the language that well. Use Upgrade 5 demo when it comes out instead.

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 13:00
This bump-mapping, is it that impressive and fast enough for actual real-time use(On a 128b ddr g4 4600? I don't care about lesser cards or market audience...I just want to create something to compensate for my pennis size. (Nah it's freakin' huge.))
"

Well it works great on my Geforce 3 even. Now with shaders though you have to be carefull because there is all kinds of different versions of shaders. 1.0, 1.1, 1.4, 2.0, 3.0 (video cards supporting 3.0 will be out this christmas).

Give me your email and I will drop a picture.

AntonyW3
Years of Service
User Offline
antony@excess.eclipse.co.uk

Cheers, been dying to see this.

Btw, some dude just released a cg extension for blitz..allowing you to use openGL and compile/use nvidia fragment and vertex shaders..without using a wrapper .dll... If it's possible in Blitz by one of it's users, it should be a doodle to do for the likes of Lee and Mike with their experince coding dbPro.

Not that I i'm supporting DB. I still prefer BB, but if DB gets it then Mark will have no choice but to do it I think

Man I'm stoned...

AntonyW3
Years of Service
User Offline
compile actual cg scripts that is, not asm.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
That display mode set display mode 640,480,16 is a bit low dont you think to be using some high powered things like mapping techniques.

[href]www.vapournet.com/~flyer[/href]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 13:27:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 13:27:59