Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / hackers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 07:05
there was supposed to be a sort of hacking 'contest' sunday, i'm sure you all heard about it...anyways, anyone see a funked up website or anything today?
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 07:19
this forum lol!

i remembered i replied to a Blitz user, and Mattman came in and chuckles at my post, and now the whole thread is gone, zip!

hmm.. Rich-Bot is on the patrol

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

eightfoot514
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 07:23 Edited at: 7th Jul 2003 07:23
well, for about 2 mintues today, everytime i went to yahoo, it redirected me to something else...i'm not really sure what it was, but after a few mintues it was back to normal. i'm thinking that might have been more screwy on my computer or my isp's end rather than yahoo...dunno
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 08:19
Hacking contest? Where did ya hear about that? D'you know if it was legit?

Anyone checked the .gov sites ?

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 08:21
Someone called me a cracker (not the computer term) once, closest thing I can think of.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 08:46
They realized that once Yahoo News ran with the story, it was no longer hip (anyone ever notice that Yahoo often posts news on as much as a three month delay? they do that all the time with research).

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 11:02
cracker = password breaker. hacker = software pirate or a person that goes around password.

Most hacks are FTP cracks, just password checks (like each possible combinabtion, can do it using a perl program very easily), although monitoring the ports for the username/password is easier. FTP does not encrypt passwords when they are sent so even though catching the data can be hard, getting the information can be quite easy

Hacking on the other hand requires intamite knowolege of the system, the OS mainly and also port scanning and invasion tools. And if you are very lucky you will find an open port. getting in on the other hand is not so easy, you need a mix of trojan and worms in before you do anything, then enough computers to make a decent size attack. Doing it with one computer is near impossible as the ammount of time that would be needed.

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 11:17
there are legitimate hacker contests
they're not to pirate software, but someone programs a barrier program - you're suppose to break through and download a JPG or grab a name ... something silly.

they have alot of them in Germany where the Internation Hackers Union is they're kinda fun even if you don't know what your doing

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 11:30
hackers in the first sense hacked demo software to unlock it.

now they are responsible for everything.

I hack my computers (doh) On rainy days i set up a comp in the corner, stick red hat on it, network it to a laptop to make a 'internet' then break into it.

You know how easy it is with the stuff you can d/l off the internet. I can practice ready made DOS attacks, but the only thing is i am not good enough to get around a firewall yet, and hacking from windows is very hard as you do not have the tools you need.

And the reason i do this? So i know how the attacks happen, knowing how hackers hack means i can take steps to prevent it on my servers. Also i know what to look for in the log files, expecially when hackers are trying to DOS, and i can also spot code red virus trails and attacks in the access files (mainly casue it called windows commnads, stupid thing)

Oh, and i have never attacked any computer without the owneds permission, i did a mates coloed once, and took it down for a few hours, kinda kicked him into upgraging to the latest RedHat as credit card numbers were on there .

Hehe,

Mwhahaha

cya

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 20:18
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/07/02/tech/main561431.shtml

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 04:10
Eleonora867?! ... thats who is seriously taking claim for it?
hmm, that'd be quite out of character

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 11:00
haha, i heard of this before Andrew

Even saw some of the reminents, they brought some some charity and anti-hacker sites down.

I think the UK should make a public domain hacking squad. Get people trained to hack, maybe using some of the x-hackers as teachers. The only way to catch a hacker is to know how they got in and look for the information.

Although the ISPs do not seem to want to know, i have reported 3 attacks using somming called smurf, it does not mask the sending IP for the test packed sending before lauching DOS attacks. So i reported the IP to the ISP and they said that they would look into it, the DOSer is still there, using his cable line, even though i know of 6 people who have reported him...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 11:08
think thats a pretty good idea ... kinda like a Special Ops Data Espionage group
they already have Data Security Consultant/Engineers (the official term for a legal systems hacker)

everything is policed by people who understand and have been trained to stop them but illegal data access and development certainly isn't one which is being taken seriously enough yet.

although i know the UK and US police have a small selection of individuals who do this sort of work, they're not really trained specifically to target these types of people like Virus Developers and Hackers - nor have they been charged to hunt down hackers and try to prevent them from gaining access to suspected targets, right now its a case of they know what is the target and they wait until the person has gained access before they make sure who it is.

and just because someone organises such an inccident doesn't mean that they did anything themselves.

just seems silly now that computers are used for everything there are so little in the means of a human task force against it.

Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 14:02 Edited at: 8th Jul 2003 14:02
Anyone here from h3c? The wargames were brilliant.
I was known as Merlin and HMKMerlin on h3c. (Thing is it sucks now, no bbs or anything any more haven't been there in years, http://www.hack3r.org/ if I remember correctly)

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 04:33:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 04:33:58