Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / ARPG?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was recently thinking & reading topics from other game dev. sites about teh genres of games, and how an Adventure RPG would go down well. An adventure RPG would not be so hack and slash, and be more based on your EXPERIANCE from game play, and only stats for magic / energy / spirit stuff.

I think an ARPG would go down pretty well, but how would one create it? For 3D, it would be daunting, but it would be clearly superior getting the "adventure" part down. Such as Zelda..Banjo Kazooie/Tooie..Super Mario 64..etc.

What I would really like to know is other people's opinion for how to do it in 2D. If an ARPG is able to be designed in 2D, then woah..that would just accelerate 2D RPGs again!...

I have found one game that is almost an ARPG, although it still is mostly RPG, it still has some fighting based on the user's skill level with the game pad / keyboard - Secret of Mana. Great game, if you notice when you swipe your sword at diffrent angles, you hit them harder. So its *not* based fully on stats, which is GREAT!

Anyways..any ideas?
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 04:22
"Secret of Mana" and it's sequel, "Secret of Evermore", are adventure games, though Mana might be called a RPG/Adventure. Adventure and RPGs games are so simalar that most people don't even seperate them anymore. I think you're confusing adventure game with action games, out of three examples you listed, two are action/3D platform game. If you want a true Adventure/RPG try Zelda 2 for the NES.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 09:23
I liked Seiken Densetsu 3(damn that was a pain to get shipped here)it was a good Action Adventure RPG(AARPG) for the SNES, hell the only reason i think it never came to america is because it was released WAY too close to the end of the SNES. It was a great 2D AARPG and if you can make one to its quality, i'll praise you. Hmmm, now i'm bored, guess i'll play SD3.

BTW Zelda 2 is one of my top 10 games all time, espescially cause ow it revolutionized the Adventure games of the NES(as did Zelda). If i saw one of its calibur, i'd kiss ya(not really but i doubt you can redo the greatness of that, and you can never make it in a golden cartridge)

Opinions are like a$$holes, Everybody has one.
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 09:31
I prefer AARPGs to the hack and slash ones. Story over action, content over flash.

Saying that, I consider Balders Gate 1 and 2 in the middle, games like Dark Sun (for GBA) more AARPG.

IMHO we need more Dark Sun type RPGs over the Dark Alliance games, but now days we seem to have more flash over content. But some of those are good to. BA DA was a fun romp.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 16:38
was secret of evermore a sequel? i didnt think it was, i thought only seiken dentestu or whatever was. but damn secret of mana was a good game, bbut why arent there more clone sof zelda : a link to the past. imo that was the greatest game ever invented and i dont think anything will ever be able to beat it.

yay i got db going again, now i can work on all these isometric games
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 21:02
Agreed Zelda 3 is the best of the series (Majora's Mask comes in second, followed by Zelda 2 only because of the massive difficulty). I got a zero game on it, no saving no dieing, hell I've done it on both the US and Japanese version.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 04:34:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 04:34:49