Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Mipmapping

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 23:23
what is it?
---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT http://www.angelfire.com/vamp/epiccrossings/ILOVEDB.jpg[/img] ???
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Scrap Mechanic
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 09:41
Mipmapping is many levels of detail in a texture. In older games like doom and such, you will notice that the closer to a wall you get, the more blurry or pixelated the texture becomes. Mipmapping helps make it look more like it would in the real world by adding extra levels of detail, so that when you get close to a wall, you see the texture in better detail.

Hope that helps you understand it as that's the best I know how to explain it.

IRC Channel: #darkbasic on server irc.uk-net.org Ports 6667 or 6668. Helpers and game serves welcome or just come and chat!
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 16:32
I think that's detail mapping, but it might possibly be mipmapping.

Mipmapping is when smaller textures are used further away, since not as much detail is needed. The object of mipmapping is to make the pixel to texel size ratio closer to one, which causes less 'swimming', and makes everything smoother.

Once I was but the learner,
now, I am the Master.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 13:41:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 13:41:04