Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / TigerBoots - [[fast action platformer]] with editor!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 01:34 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2008 02:05
TigerBoots 2.5D Platformer Game

Video!:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO0lBDTFSgU

Video 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_DbCkv93kU

Background
Tigerboots is an old name my friend made up a long time ago for a website. Some guy owns that website tigerboots.com (which we wanted) till september 08 so we couldn't do anything with it. He's movin' away so I figured I'd send him off right and call my engine that I'm working on TigerBoots and make a little game out of it.

You are TigerBoots, a tiger with boots for legs and weird places are being attacked for no particular reason right now. You jump on platforms, punch bad guys, stupid stuff like that. I'm no programmer so it's not gonna be anything like, D&C but this is sort of my pong you could say.

That being said, I've got a perfect track record for
completing games without the support of others so if you're reading this, do post, not just read and leave. It means a lot to me even a simple good luck

Screens

Enemies

A fish

And of course the crab I made that I use in everything. Credit goes to Corey M. (R.I.P. Corey) for animation...

New screen of hub level:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 01:51
Hehe, this looks like it could be a fun WIP. xD It reminds me of my own cartoony style.

Best of luck, I'd like to see this do well

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 02:52
more pix

Attachments

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 02:52
another

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 03:48
In that case: good luck!

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 07:47
I'm curious, could you show a vid? I ask because I want to see what kinds of platforming mechanics you've got so far.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 12:27
This look really cool, I can't wait to play it!
Keep going, and say to yourself "If I don't make this I'm going to disappoint a lot of people." Especially the Dark lord of the Sith!
BEWARE!!!

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 15:34
Quote: "stupid stuff like that"

i thought those things were the meaning of life!

great look, and especially so with the fish! if your insanity wasn't so obvious, i'd think there might be water somewhere in the game

oh, and...

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 17:05
Those models are really cool looking I like the style.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 18:23
Quote: "Credit goes to Corey M. (R.I.P. Corey)"

R.I.P? What? Is he..?

Your signature has been erased by a mod - 340 KB is a little big don't you think?
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 19:02
Awesome models as always

Looks like it could be a very enjoyable game

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 21:01
Hey thanks a lot guys! I really ppreciate the support.

Quote: " if your insanity wasn't so obvious, i'd think there might be water somewhere in the game "

There will be on some levels That doesn't mean the fish has to swim though!

Quote: "R.I.P? What? Is he..?"

Nah he's not dead. He was here with me as I wrote that it means 'really intense programmer' and its a lil' inside joke between him, me and some other people from the forums. Seeing as he's not a very intense programmer, almost as lazy about it as me its a tongue in cheek kind of thing
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2008 16:21
Looks good, would also love to see a gameplay video
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2008 21:15 Edited at: 18th May 2008 21:17
That fish!
I love it!! PERFECTION!

Good luck!
Please make an emoticon based on that fish.

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 02:46 Edited at: 13th Apr 2011 22:19
Is Andy a great font or what!

Looks cool.

Click the signature for my site!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 08:51
I like the art style a lot, reminds me of the old Rare games(such as Banjo Kaazoie).

Will be great to see what kind of gameplay you have later one.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 13:37
Quote: "Is Andy a great font or what!"

Well I try! (Names Andrew btw, it does make sense even if its an appalling joke! )

@The crazy - This is looking great. Will be following it closely. You've actually motivated me to start game making again. Thank you!

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 03:34
Quote: "I like the art style a lot, reminds me of the old Rare games(such as Banjo Kaazoie)."

I love banjo kazooie! Can't wait for the new one

Thanks a lot guys! Progress: Fixed a lot of editor bugs, made it run more smoothly. Alos, I switched over from loading the object for every platform to instancing (what was I thinking?? ) I worked on the animation a lot too these past few days. ie. when he jumps to do the correct animation, walking, hitting ect. And also started building an enemy editor. I'm making the enemy editor seperate just to keep things clean for me as my programming is rather messy Again thanks guys!

-oh, and I was wondering. What is a good video capture software for dbp games in your opinion. I know many use fraps but I understand frame rate can get buggy, ect. Anyone use an alternative? I've been trying out hypercam but it always leaves artifacts (I believe this is what they're called) across the screen
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Feel free to use that villager guy I made if you want Sorry I had to abandon the project :\

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 09:24
Just a small update: Did a bunch more animation on the main character with jump idle swim ect. Just to let you guys know I'm still working
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 15:39 Edited at: 30th May 2008 15:43
Can we see a picture of him jumping?

EDIT: It would be cool if you expanded it to the 3rd dimension and mad e him run through a cave come out the other side to jump up some platforms and run to jump on a enemy head before parachuting down and bouncing on two fish before jumping on land and winning . Just my two thoughts on how it could be made super awesome 30 Quid worth after the basic platforming is done.

Where can I get the codes. I know how to build it with codes. GET IT. I HOPE U UNDERSTAND. DUHH
DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 17:49
Ha! I read it, left, came back and then posted. My evil is beyond belief

Good luck!

I'm Pro grammer.
Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 18:12
I've read it twice now, merry christmas...I mean good luck

'Ooh 'eck chief'...'crumbs'
Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
looks good, keep on it.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 31st May 2008 00:38
Looks good, good luck.
What's the "story" of the game if there is any?

Cheers,

-naota

"I used to do a lot of time travelling when I was younger. I called it 'ta-kwee-la' You would drink this potion and wake up 3 days in the future!" - Craig Ferguson
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2008 04:25 Edited at: 31st May 2008 06:25
@Dared: Sounds like a cool idea! But I'm a little confused. Are you saying it would be a cinematic sequence, or actual play?

@Aaron: Story :p ...well, they're on a pirate ship, and they crash on this island which is the hub for the rest of the levels. And they're being chased by bad guys for some reason. Makes a lot of sense huh

Okay guys, I had an idea I wanted to run past you all. I was thinking, instead of one big game, I would release say, three levels a month as I continue making the game. Each new installment would move the story forward and add new features as I programmed more. I was working on getting a quick demo out when I realized, hey, why not just do a little demo each month that could continue the storyline, ect. Might be a bad idea I don't know, but I've never seen that done. My reasoning behind this is my love of webcomics like The Noob and others. I find myself every two weeks awaiting the next installment to be posted. I'd like some feedback on this

Today I've been working on the hub level and adding old characters that I have to watch the character as he is walking and stuff. If I go with my plan for the monthly game thing, there will be three levels: A platoforming level, a swimming level, and maybe some kind of shooting level. After completing these stages, a final door opens to a boss battle. Beat that and you get a little cinematic. So unless I get some big criticism on this idea, thats what I'm planning for now

Attachments

Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2008 07:11
Dude, for one of the levels he blocks must be arranged in a smiley face, just because it would rock so hard lol, if you dont when i get near the editor i will lol ^^

My MMORPG: http://green-man.pbwiki.com or check out the forums at http://mechtech.webmmorpg.net
My RPG: www.roguesapprentice.tk
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2008 09:31
Violent Pidgeon, I'll be making that smiley face just for you! And about the editor, do you guys really want me to release it? It's terribly primitive but works for me. Unfortunately I dont plan to make it more user friendly but I reckon it could be done...
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Im just saying if you expanded this to 3 dimension movement and pulled some good camera angles along with automated actions like pulling a chute automaticaly instead of manually(not to imply this is already your plan) and some lock ins so the player isnt constantly fiddling to hit his enemy on the head if he jumps on it to bounce.

Where can I get the codes. I know how to build it with codes. GET IT. I HOPE U UNDERSTAND. DUHH
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 19:14 Edited at: 1st Jun 2008 19:17
so... you're say he should completely redo his game because it could be done with 3D movement? Great plan.

Of course it he wants to, good for him. But seriously, a 3D platformer plays completely different from a 2D one, and that's a decision you make before you start coding it as one or the other.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 00:01
I like that idea of releasing a few levels every week. One thing though, you should do it like this:
RELEASE the runtime which loads the levels, ONCE. The runtime should come with all scripts and everything. Perhaps with the level editor too (You should provide specifications for how to load the level, or code to load the level too, incase someone wishes to make a "better" level editor).

Then, release the levels. The runtime should say if a level has been played or not, this will help players in determining the new levels.

If you need to, you can release patches, or whole other version of the runtime as necessary, that way the "unnecessary" times, the user will have a nice, small download.

Cheers,

-naota

"I used to do a lot of time travelling when I was younger. I called it 'ta-kwee-la' You would drink this potion and wake up 3 days in the future!" - Craig Ferguson
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 00:46
Dared I think I get what you're saying, do you kind of mean like (just for instance games i've been playing recently) super mario galaxy's automatic camera or much of the camera in sonic adventure? Not necessarily a bad idea but just maybe not for my game I agree with Bizar as I'd rather not switch from a mainly 2d engine to the full 3d aspect of what it sounds like you're saying but thx for the idea. I may implement it in the future

What I'm going for is more of a Super Mario Bros kind of camera situation. Nothing too special as (like I said before) I'm terribly unexperienced when it comes to programming

Aaron, I think thats a great idea! I'll look into how I can organize my code to make things more easily updatable.

Updates
Implemented damage system
Matched animations of running, idle, jumping, spinning to correct controls
Made it so the character actually turns instead of just 'rotate object 1,0,90,0' ect so he just switches left and right, but now its actually a quick gradual
Character now gains momentum in the first few seconds of walking to running
Fixed a camera bug that make all the objects look a little weird while turning directions. (accidently albeit but I'll take what I can get )
Jumping now has a sonic-esque ball around the character
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "so... you're say he should completely redo his game because it could be done with 3D movement? Great plan."

It was a suggestion.

Nice progress,Crazy.

A short and simple suggestion.
Add a large textured plane to the background.

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 04:04
New Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_DbCkv93kU

No, I haven't stopped working on this just been busy with summer not being inside much. Added code for three types of enemies: Walking, bullet, and jumping. Yes, the bullet looks like bullet bill but I assure you, it's not. That is clearly a bullet bob

Oh, and about the fire particles, I wanted something to be blocking the portal like fire and you will have to put it out and I think those particles are a little (or a lot) extreme and may cause slowdown in frame rate. Definitely not final, that.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 05:26 Edited at: 14th Jul 2008 05:28
@ The crazy
Haha, I love it man, you've definately achieved a good standard game. (However that particle effect is concerning. :S)

Nevertheless, GLaD to see you haven't given up on this, keep up the good work.

EDIT:
Oh and by the way, I just thought I'd point out that your video is called:
-v-
Togerboots: The Game - Video 2
-^-

xD

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 20:44

Looking awesome!
There's stuff everywhere!

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 23:47 Edited at: 15th Jul 2008 23:48
Thanks guys! I have a question though. I keep getting a strange error. Does anyone know what this means?

Attachments

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 02:53
Hey guys, I need some testers just for fps, load time, ect. If interested email me at crydrk@crydrk.com
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 16:52 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 16:52
Hi, I sent you an offline message & an E-Mail but the postmaster returned as a Failure:

But yeh, I'm up for testing if you like.

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 22:06
Yikes, that's not good. Okay anyone wanting to help test send an email to crydrk@sbcglobal.net rather than at crydrk.com.

That is definitely not good...
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2008 18:43
Looking crazy alright! Great work man.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Crazy did you add me on MSN? Someguy called George who had the email address of "crydk". Anyways nice work.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2008 21:27
Quote: "Hey Crazy did you add me on MSN? Someguy called George who had the email address of "crydk". Anyways nice work.
"

Yep that's him

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2008 08:30
Yeah thats me :p
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 02:03

New image w/ new enemy
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
I may add,
From Left to Right..
Crazy Crab, Tornado, Bullet Bob, Tasukete.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2008 22:16
looks really cool and hope you finish it as i know how it is to have an bad finishing record
i started today with an yust for fuun low spec wolfenstein clone to keep me a tiny bit on with programming.
as i noticed that i have forgotten alot of simple stuff and neads to refresh my self with some basics.
cheers
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 23:17 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2008 23:17
Thanks to the help of Alucard, Tigerboots now has its first boss character!

Kärr the Anihilator!

model created by alucard
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 23:18 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2008 23:39
Oooh scary!

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 00:24