Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Project Lv1A

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 05:51 Edited at: 22nd May 2008 06:06
This is my first WIP ever. Today I finally think I'm far enough along to put out a WIP. So here goes.

My project is based on Direct X 9.0c and Ageia/Nvidia PhsyX ver. 2.7.3. I started this project because I originally switched to GDK, and while this is very good. I felt like "heck, I'm already programming C++, why not just use the Native API's".

So while, this isnt written in DBP/GDK, it is very much based on the knowledge that I have gained here. Also everything that I do first is prototyped in DBP. If I know it works in DBP it will work in DX/PhsyX.

So a feature list is as follows. DBP/GDK can do all this.

1. auto-detect screen resolution
2. AA - auto detection
3. Shader's
4. PhsyX

Other than that its very basic. I tried to make the controls as solid as possible, while implementing timer based movement.
This is the most complex progam I have ever written. The learning curve was very steep. I almost gave up on many occasions.
note: I have noticed a "bug" where the shaders do not run on Nvidia GFX cards. But there is only one thing being shaded so its not a big deal(right now).

Please let me know what you think.

I FINALLY GOT A DOWNLOAD FOR YOU ALL.

http://www.debatefaith.org/files/ProjectLv1A.rar

(this is still a test phase, before the actual demo is released)

Thank you.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 05:54 Edited at: 22nd May 2008 06:21
here is a screen shot.

As a note I turned off AA because of the fact, I was trying to get deffered shading working. But you can have deffered shading with AA. The render targets dont's support it. AA is off in this demo because I'm using a render target instead of the backbuffer. I then texture a screen aligned quad with the Render Target. So its exactly the same output as using the backbuffer. This is the reason why AA does not work with Deffered Shading.

I am thinking along the lines of a traditional 8 light limit. This way people with GFX cards not so good can still play the game. And those with good GFX cards can turn the shaders on. I'll use a multi-pass shader with 8 lights and just recycle the lights throughout the level. Anyways thank you for taking the time to check this out.

Attachments

david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 05:56
here is another

Attachments

david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 05:59 Edited at: 20th May 2008 04:10
And Finally one more.

Attachments

Juggalo Memnoch
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good but when tried to download from the first post it says it's an unknown fle type and i can't open it
Jeff032
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks nice

Maybe you fixed it because I can't tell in the third SS, but in the first two, it seems like you aren't sorting your tree branches, causing the edges on some of them to look a little weird. You should draw all the opaque meshes first, and then the transparent ones from back to front.

Also, the download button in the first post isn't working.

david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 13:19 Edited at: 19th May 2008 13:24
for some reason it wont upload properly. I'm gonna have to find somewhere else to put it. I need a host. hmmmmm

ill try here in this link again

new DL: here
Jeff032
Years of Service
User Offline
Still doesn't work

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 19:01 Edited at: 19th May 2008 19:14
Looks pretty.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 20th May 2008 00:41
Quote: "Still doesn't work "

What doesn't? The three images open fine here (with one repeated) - but the initial download link was broken and has since been removed.

Quote: "note: I have noticed a "bug" where the shaders do not run on Nvidia GFX cards. But there is only one thing being shaded so its not a big deal(right now)."

Curious. I'd like to see those shaders - I do most of my shader work on an old nVidia FX 5200 card and don't usually have problems. Or are you using SM3? I can only test SM1 or 2 here.

[P.S. I've seen your e-mail. I might already have the shader you need but, if not, it should be easy to amend an existing one.]
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2008 01:02
@GG thank you in advance for any help. I only use SM2.0 cause most cards are that. In the future maybe not. SM2.0 seems to be
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2008 01:06
@GG thank you in advance for any help. I only use SM2.0 cause most cards are that. In the future maybe not. SM2.0 seems to be a good middle ground. For some reason the .rar file won't upload properly its only 16mb. I'll repost the images and a link for a download. I really want to know what people think about this.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2008 02:43 Edited at: 20th May 2008 04:23
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2008 02:49 Edited at: 20th May 2008 04:33
[href] ftp://jegas.com/archives/coderelated/directx/davidw/DavidW_Dx9_Ageia_Raw_00_02.zip[/href]

This is Current

T Rev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2008 04:24
Hello everybody. My name is Trevor and I am a Chief Level Designer working for Control 17. I heard that some of you guies like it so far???
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2008 04:44
Well I would really like to get some more responses from the community. So I guess I got to post a new picture. Anyways I've really been working hard on this.

I've managed to get this:

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 22nd May 2008 14:29
Quote: "Well I would really like to get some more responses from the community."

Problem is probably that we have to download one of the recent DX9 updates to get your demo to work.

When I've done that you might get a response from me on this WIP.

[I'm still looking at your shader issue though.]
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 03:57
Ok so its been awhile since I have updated this thread.

The Engine is now in the beta stages I call it Lv1B. This has many advanced features that Lv1A didnt have.

Lost device/Reset device.
Fast Object management system.
Timer based movement.
Overall optimizations resulting in a more stable system.
Hardware state detection/resulting in optimal settings/best performance based.

Support for multiple levels
Fast reloading of levels.

TO DO:

Unified lighting system (with shadows).
Character Animation.
Fix final shader bugs.

I will be posting a new demo featuring the new engine this weekend.

Thank you.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 20:33
SWEET.... DEMO DEMO DEMO LOL Looking forward to it!

david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 02:32
Well as things progress, I still dont have a demo with the new (updated) engine yet. I got alot of stuff into the engine now, and have been set upon by a million bugs. Mainly Shader bugs, but now I have all that behind me and I really understand how to use shaders with Direct X. I would like to give thanks to Jason Sage and Green Gandalf for helping me with various aspects and finally tracking down all the issues.

I have gotten convex and static triangles meshes working properly with PHYSX. Cloth, Soft Bodies and Force Fields are planned. They really arent so hard to implement really. As I've been working on the basics I really didn't focus on extras yet.

All my shader issues are finally solved. Added frustum culling and distance calcs for speed issues. Using GG terrain and Evolveds parallax shader.

Screen shot.

Attachments

david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 02:06
Ok massive progress on the engine. Things are really starting to come together. Here is a screen of the new work.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:25:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:25:50