Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Terrain questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 15:16 Edited at: 20th May 2008 14:42
Hi people. I've just started programming in DarkBASIC. Only got the demo at the moment, but will be buying it when I get the cash together. Only been using it since Saturday.

So far I'm only experimenting. Just learning really. So far I've managed to create a matrix and use a simple bitmap as a displacement map and displace the matrix. I've given it a simple (yet horrible) texture to give it some kind of graphics. I've also managed to make a driveable 3D object which goes around, following the terrain (though doesn't bank on hills, only nose up/down so far). Quite pleased so far!

Anyhoo. I've briefly experimented with trying to make the matrix be lit properly, but without success. How exactly do I make it take its lighting from the light I've made? Also I did initially get the terrain commands working, but found them much less powerful compared to the more manual matrix approach, is this correct? Also how do you put different tiles on different parts of the matrix? I'd like to crack these issues later on when I get home from work, so some help would be....well helpful

Thanks
Nick
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 16:46 Edited at: 19th May 2008 16:47
Quote: "how do you put different tiles on different parts of the matrix?"

Use the PREPARE MATRIX TEXTURE command on a sheet with a couple different textures, and use SET MATRIX TILE on each part of the matrix.

Unfortunately, I don't think matrixes can be affected by automatic lighting. Maybe someone else has a workaround for this.

By the way, that's not bad for 2 days of learning

Unterseeboot - Has you played it?
Los Mineros are on leave...
NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 22:09
Hi. Thanks, I've not done any 3D programming before, only simple 2D stuff. Not done any programming in quite a while. I'm really getting into DarkBASIC though! I've done quite a bit of 3D modelling though.

According to the command help there is a command to make it sensitive to light.

SET MATRIX Matrix Number, Wire, Transparency, Cull, Filter, Light, Fog, Ambient

Doesn't do anything though, well from what I can see.

Another question which isn't terrain related. I'm trying to stop my object from being smoothed, as it is way over smoothed. Its only a very simple object, and I don't want it to be smoothed. I've tried the smoothing command, but it still seems to be smoothed to a massive degree. Any thoughts?

SET OBJECT SMOOTHING 1,0
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 20:31