Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Half-Life 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 18:31
I didn't like half life

Life is a terminal disease.
You never survive it.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 18:39
Ahh but you see now that can't happen to me because you just told me what to do

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 18:41
<--- beat both HL and Opposing Force.. too lazy to finish-up Blue Shift

I'm actually not really hype on HL2 (i'm definitely hype for Snake Eater! ), i'm more on Condition Zero

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 18:43
Max Payne 2 is actually my pick although I hope it's not going to be too much like the original. Then again, he certainly looks different. o_O

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 18:52 Edited at: 12th Jul 2003 18:57
(starting a flame post)

Snake can kick Max's bullet time ass & still have time ta' bitch-smack Gordon's face! (Snake DOES hit ppl with glasses! lmao!)

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 18:54
Max would strangle Snake with a... snake... one he ate as well. Yeah!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 19:00
lol i hope that Max Payne 2 ain't much different from the original either - it sure does look much improved though, hope this time they're gonna have a longer story ... the last one just seems too short and linear. i'd love to piss off an entire city.

and find out if that guy kept his words and let you back out on the street of if someone else breaks you out hehee, i really don't know anything about MP2 cept a few screenies .. think its better that way too

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 19:07
You know, i wonder why there is so much "hype" around HL2, when i'm gonna save my money and wait for "Duke Nukem Forever" and "Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater". I mean HL2 looks like a nice romp, but i think that its gonna be all show and little play. Now Counter strike condition zero is a different story, that good ol online (and offline this time) goodness.

Opinions are like a$$holes, Everybody has one.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 04:33 Edited at: 13th Jul 2003 13:14
Quote: "when i'm gonna save my money and wait for "Duke Nukem Forever""

All you need to do for that is save 1 cent a year and you'll have more then enough cash for when it comes out.

Not much is known about MP2 so I'm going to be very kind and scan my 10-Page Gaming Magazine Article... 4 of which actually contain text and the rest are huge images but who cares, there's some decent info in it.

Edit: I r have bad gramma

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 11:49
Regardless of what Raven thinks of HL2 - I enjoyed HL1 immensely and will be buying HL2, and maybe Doom 3. Hey Valve, that's one customer - Only another 5 million or so and you're quids in

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 14:13
lol i enjoyed HL too... but HL2 has the same pitfalls, and everything rises your expectations for it to be more than it really is.
don't get me wrong it is good - i'm just really advicing you that if you want to actually enjoy it ignore the hype, else you will only be disappointed.

i mean just look at how many people saw Matrix-Reloaded can came back going "oh well that was just disappointing" and then they spent weeks tearing it apart for every little detail.
Hardcore fans weren't AS bothered but you still heard alot of them also like "well i was expecting something more."

and that is exactly what is going to happen around HL2, especially when Joe Public realises that you NEED a Shader based card and that they don't have one in thier machine. Oki so there are of people with them, it still will be the very first bitch.
it does have a software mode, but somehow i think its gonna be taken out before release as i can get upto 22fps 400x300x16 on my AthlonXP 2400++ lol

personally i know what my money is on this christmas.
and exact get the review up me wanna checkout what is said about it - i've not been getting PCG lately cause they're delivering to the wrong blasted house.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 16:28
Quote: "don't get me wrong it is good - i'm just really advicing you that if you want to actually enjoy it ignore the hype, else you will only be disappointed."

The hype includes the 25 minute vid, which impressed me greatly and should give a pretty good idea of the gameplay, the AI there was both unscripted and very impressive. Ditto the physics.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 16:44
Quote: "and exact get the review up me wanna checkout what is said about it - i've not been getting PCG lately cause they're delivering to the wrong blasted house.
"

Lol kill 'em, and spell my name right GRR! Anyway, I'm making a new topic for it now, lol.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 17:35
? unscripted Ai ? ... i'm not sure who the heck told you that - although it isn't exactly NPC style the Ai is still very close to the original, i mean just because you give them a choice of three or so lines or a few more options doesn't mean it ain't still prescripted (something you can only see from playing the game and not seeing a video)
and the physics just isn't as impressive next to similar titles.

i seriously wouldn't sit there and be all like "oh this is gonna be the best game ever" about it because you WILL be disappointed.
it is the next part in the HL saga, and it is a new story rather than a new perspective... try and see it from that point of view than how the engine behaves, because how it plays and behaves are different.

and as i've said before the aim in a rolling demo is to give the user the best impression of a game - they'd hardly have people raving about it if they showed you how guards that fall off roofs can get stuck in concrete like the maphia are about to drop 'em in a lake... or have someone turn to you and say something like "man i could really go for a soda right now" when your trying electrocute a sewer monster.

and i didn't see any shots of when you go to high in the levels that your grenades actually just shoot OUT of the level... you see it flying through the skybox and have the screen shake as it explode - funny but another anooying bug.

they might get most of them fixx no doubt, but the version i have here is essentially the gold. also the story isn't as fluid as before, there are alot of Rambo/Commando style excuses for doing things - you'll end up taking on a whole battlion of people just simply because you have to retrieve like a stupid powercell for a scientist ... and such. The puzzles are really dumbed down it places the game close to Q2 than HL in that respects.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 20:09
Quote: "something you can only see from playing the game and not seeing a video"

C'mon Raven - you haven't played the game, I thought we'd got over that nonsense.

Quote: "or have someone turn to you and say something like "man i could really go for a soda right now" when your trying electrocute a sewer monster."

Obviously, but that sort of thing didn't happen in HL1, I seriously doubt they would downgrade the AI.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 21:00
Quote: "but that sort of thing didn't happen in HL1,"

I beg to differ, i was brutily wounded so many times because i was distracted by a scientest saying "why do we all have to wear these ridicules(spelling) ties". I hated that line. But i'm gonna talk to me cousin frank and try to pry the hl2 beta outta his cold living hands.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 21:02
oh btw, if you have 56k, don't even think about wasting your money on CS:CZ you will not get to play online, and if your comp is under 933mhz, i strongly suggest not even going for the offline.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 21:09
Quote: "I beg to differ"

Okay, fair enough. It just never happened to me that was all, I just assumed the AI knew what to say. Still Valve never said that HL1 had any form of context sensitive AI. Whether or not that is in HL2 I don't know.

Still, like I said, Valve have got one customer. Besides the HL2 game, there are all the addons as well. I love CS and Natural Selection, and I'm sure sequels will appear for HL2.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 21:36
i wouldn't guarentee sequals... atleast not within similar timeframes.

if your planning on playing it Yuko then i'd STRONGLY suggest alteast a 1.2Ghz Processor and GeForce4 Ti4200 ... prefferably an Fx and you'll want more than 256mb Ram - that is if your want the levels to actually load within a decent time, the portal system now works on a dynamic basis, so the more ram the bigger the section of level you can go through before it loads the next one.

Quote: "C'mon Raven - you haven't played the game, I thought we'd got over that nonsense."

no you guys just assume this, like you all assume everything... i'm a registered Beta tester. Some people do it as a professional ya know - i never did, but i'm on the same list as those people cause i knew someone at the time
i get picked alot more than others cause of the sheer range of systems i own, my brutal honest about what i think of titles, my expertise explaining problems & my kack to absolutly bugger up games without even trying.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 21:41
<<<<not registered beta tester but has a cousin who is(well he might be a theif, but he hands me the games he don't like, FF11 CS:CS...ect maybe HL2 next week.)

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 22:28
@Raven

Surely all beta testing programmes require you to sign an NDA?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 22:41
Quote: "Surely all beta testing programmes require you to sign an NDA?"

yeah means we're not allowed to talk about features in-depth, show screenshots, redist beta copies, give away more than 10% of the story line, etc, etc...

i haven't broken any of it yet - not that anyone would really listen even if i did go too deeply into any titles.

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 22:44
*sniff i'm listening..
*looks around the empty hall

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 22:53
Quote: "give away more than 10% of the story line"

What a strange condition! - That 10% could easily be some major fact. And if everybody gave a different 10%, the whole storyline would be out there.

Someone on another forum who was testing the MMORPG SW:G said that they weren't allowed to give opinions or verdicts on the product either.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 23:32
lol some companies have strager rules... you sign a general NDA for everything - but each company you beta for generally gets to you sign another one specifically.

from what i hear the SW:G one was one of the more brutal, they got very little feedback and access beyond like saying if there was a bug or not - that was one i tried to get into ... biggest insult had to be when a friend got in and she didn't even want to be in it and then said she'd give her place to me.
it was like "yeah and whilst your at it i think my ego could do with another roshamboing!"

hate people doing that... i mean if it ain't anything important that i've not bothered to get then thats cool - but when you try your best to get something and fail ya know its cool to fail with dignity its not cool to succeed on a handout

they were all so pissy about the Beta test around that, i personally hope that E&B crushes it on the MMO market... we've got our first galactic war, and it's pretty sweet cause like its being held over servers - can't wait til they release the planned update to merge the entire universe so you can swap servers without swapping users and such.

ho well, theres a huge beta test of another program comming up - i can't wait but i'm also worried cause i'm not sure i'll want to keep quiet about it i've been waiting for this sequal for like ever!
i'm getting the GC version of it too wish is awesome hehee

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 23:38
Apparently SW:G has some pretty huge flaws - ie. content, or lack thereof.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 00:00
wouldn't surprise me... it seemed like a clone of JK2 only make for online use - and they wanted to release Starfighter seperate which just made me chringe.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 04:03
Actually I heard that it was basically a MMORPG set in the Star Wars universe, so just like any other RPG, you spend most of your time killing wamprats to gain levels and get stronger. And that most definately is not what Star Wars was about.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 04:29
@Raven

It is nothing like JK2, which is an FPS. The idea is that you go round, kill guys, sell stuff, gain levels, and then.... that's it because of a content deficit.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 10:16
Rob JK2's engine wasn't just usefuly for FPS games
and i'm shocked that a games developer who say something to the contrary.

i know what SW:G was, that doesn't mean it didn't look and act like JK2. I mean if you've ever played JK2 download JediMod or AdminMod or Jedi++ because all of them add features which to be honest seemed to make everyone stop fighting and just want to sit around and hang out - kinda became like an online community like Cybertown or something.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 04:45:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 04:45:09