Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / WarZone

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 19:10 Edited at: 26th Jul 2008 19:10
I know the frame rate in the pics is very low . But nearly all of use will have a faster computer than the one I'm using at the moment! Luckily I'm getting a laptop in a few weeks time though . I used a speed test made in DB I found on the forums and this is the result I got, pic attached...

There are 10 types of people, people who know binary and people who don't!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 00:07
Dude that processor is 10 times better than me.. Only thing you actually need is to get Real GPU and not those crappy builtins.

Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 04:57
I have found the problem with the frame rate! With this line of code in the editor:

I get an average of about 10 fps! But when I take it out I am getting 30 fps! I think it's due to the pick object command having to deal with the huge amount of vertices in the terrain. Well anyway I am working on fixing it now, trying out diferent things, seeing which is faster. I am thinking about raycasting, if anyone has any suggestions on a method that is fast then please do post, thanks!

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 05:47
Maybe displaying variables on the panel on the right of your editor has an effect. I always get a performance hit when I have constantly updating variables on some BlueGUI element. I assume just do it the old fashioned way.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2008 00:15
Quote: "I am thinking about raycasting, if anyone has any suggestions on a method that is fast then please do post, thanks!"

I am not sure, but afaik the pick object-command does use raycasting. And even if not, you'd still have the same problem. However, what you could do is a kind of pseudo-raycasting: You stepwise move a virtual point from your camera through the mouse until its height is beyond the terrain (or its x/y-coordinates are outside your level). It would probably be much faster..

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2008 13:06
And use sparkys raycasting.. its much much much faster.

Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 01:32
Sorry guys, been a while since an update. The progress has been going slower than planned lately. I said I would release a demo.. this has been delayed a bit but I am going to try to work on a nice working demo this week and I'll see how it goes. Anyway atleast the editor is finished and here is a short video of it for you to watch...

Don't worry about the frame rate in the video as the video recording software slows down the computer an awful lot.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 20:49
That looks awesome, i like how easy it looks!

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 22:00
Wow that looks awesome . Makes me want to add object importing to my editor

Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 09:13
those maps look familiar...
i could swear they are from battle tanks 2.

What do you get when you combine the 2 coolest things ever? JESUSAURISREX!
Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 09:30 Edited at: 14th Aug 2008 19:29
sorry, edit.

Attachments

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 13:30
answer = editor or maps?

If answer = maps
This is wip and i dont care as long as it is wip
I can create some real maps for the final game
endif

if answer = editor
I dont believe it
endif

White Fang 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 15:06
hopefully this isn't true because i've been looking forward for this game

I'm a noob help will be accepted
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 16:26
He is just using the maps as placeholders.. Not the editor..

Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 17:56
@Jesusaurisrex: Lol! Your saying I didn't create that editor?! haha, I made that editor in Darkbasic Pro, I didn't get it from anywhere, I programmed it myself. And well about the maps... If you look through the thread you will find a post saying that 2 of the maps in the game are not mine, as Roxas said, I am using them as placeholders. In the final game all the maps I will create. Any questions?

Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 19:34
oh sorry, i must have missed that one. im realy sorry its just that the maps in 2 of your posts looked incredibly familiar and i thought you where a fraud... im realy sorry. i was too quick to judge. my bad. i think you are doing an incredible job, nice editor.

Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 01:23
It was just a missunderstanding, I'm glad it's cleared up.

Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 01:48
I know there is no team requests on these forums but I thought since I have something to show that I would mention that I am looking for some help on this game. I was wondering if any 3D artist or level designer out there would be willing to help. You can email me at cbyrne101@hotmail.com, thanks.

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 09:17
Hmm, well i could most likely help with some level design if you want.

RIP Max-Tuesday, November 2 2007
You will be dearly missed.
john117
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2008 06:14
That is a nice engine. Can't wait for the demo. Keeping this in my favorites...
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
That level editor looks great!

The screenshot of the helicopters and the ocean is my favorite

Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 01:30 Edited at: 27th Aug 2008 01:32
Thanks everyone, sorry about the demo running very late, I hope to have one up in not to long. And the level editor is finally finished. I am including 4 more vehicles to the game engine, so the game now has 8 vehicles you can use, I will be leaving it at that. Well here's another screen of the editor:

I'll post again shortly since there hasn't been an update in a good while.

Edit: Forgot to mention... I'm looking into using Lua for the mission scripts so that after creating a level Lua will be used to create a mission for that level.

soso
Years of Service
User Offline
its really nice engine is he str engine or fps?
Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 00:22
@Soso: Eh I don't really get what your asking, it's in 3rd person at the moment, but when ur walking around I will add an option to toggle first person/third person.

flickenmaste
Years of Service
User Offline
Demo plz?

[url=http://userbarmaker.com/][img]
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 10:44
Wow, This looks just better an better!

- Elias, Damezean, Nackidno, Wonderboy

AntocGames - http://antocgames.se.nu/
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2008 19:58
This looks really nice, good work!

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 18:28
Looking awesome i think this is gonna be a really nice game.

Quote: "Demo plz?"

Can you publish a demo in the coming future if you would have time, please?

Thats more like it

http://bergice.blogspot.com/ << Please enter my blog and click ads
Demos,Examples,Tutorials,Portfolio
Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 00:33
Haha yeah sorry guys I'v been so long without a demo, its just I'm back to school and have been quite busy! I will release a early demo next weekend though. In it you will be able to control the tank, humvee, scud launcher, and apache. It will probably just have very basic AI and will be more like a little playground rather than a proper battlefield. I am still working hard on the game though and I will be releasing atleast 1 other demo before the game is released. Anyway for the mean time I have a short vid for you..

Another thing I have almost completed and will show a pic of very shortly is the scud launcher targeting system, it basically just goes to an ariel view of the map and you select where to target and the rocket hits the target. I will try to add an explosion even a basic one for the mean time.

Well anyway really greatfull for the support and comments, thanks guys.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 15:06
That looks awesome!

Looking forward to the demo too!

http://bergice.blogspot.com/ << Please enter my blog and click ads
Demos,Examples,Tutorials,Portfolio
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 13:50
Looking really great, the vehicle control looks good.

Just a few things I noticed

1) Perhaps there needs to be a smoother transition when entering/exiting a vehicle? You could have markers displayed on entry points (an icon on the floor by the doors to the vehicle)

2) The scud launcher doesn't seem to have any kind of aiming device, would be nice if when you raise the rocket you get a top down satellite view from which you can aim the rocket?

3) The trees falling is really nice (and something I'm building into my game), but can I suggest that you use a curve value to rotate the tree? Right now they seem to go straight from standing to fallen, whereas it'd be nice if they collapsed gradually!

Ps, how did you get the tank tracks to animate? Is it that the tracks are assigned to a specific limb, and you're just scrolling the y of the UVs on that particular limb? I haven't got tanks in my game yet, and that's how I thought of doing it, but if that's a viable technique I'll go with it..

Looking good dude, can't wait to see how it comes along.

Peas
J

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2008 01:48
Quote: "Ps, how did you get the tank tracks to animate? Is it that the tracks are assigned to a specific limb, and you're just scrolling the y of the UVs on that particular limb? I haven't got tanks in my game yet, and that's how I thought of doing it, but if that's a viable technique I'll go with it.."

The Dark Matter tank tracks can be made to appear moving by scrolling the texture (with values smaller than 1). I believe that each wheel is a limb as well, and they can be rotated (or their texture can).

Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2008 00:19
Hey guys, good news and bad! In this demo there won't actually be any AI, so it's just like a little playground to mess around with the vehicles. But don't worry, there will be another demo in a few weeks probably, which will have working AI to fight against, and the working new vehicles. Anyway the good news.. demo is here!

It's just over 3mb and is .rar compressed. Hopefully you won't be to dissapointed that there is no AI just yet. Anyway get downloading and just post if you have a problem. And I know, there is quite a few glitches in the demo, but they will be cleaned out soon enough. Demo is attached.

Attachments

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2008 00:26 Edited at: 15th Sep 2008 00:41
<Downloading>

EDIT:
<Played>

Review:
Good areas:
The gameplay was cool, the vehicles move nicely and it all seems to work pretty well. I especially like they way if you get out of a moving jeep, it carries on moving. Also, although the colour was completely off, the fog underwater was done quite well.

Bad areas (by the way, this isn't a rant, just things you probably know you need to impove):
Jumping out of a helicopter in mid air, means you land on the ground and the helicopter is stuck up there.
I don't know if it was intentional but you can't move the rocket on the scud launcher while driving, but you can move the turret of the tank while driving.
The above water texture seems very low res.
I feel as well as a colour change to the fog underwater the water object should still be visible.
The controls seem hard to use. I thought it was a demo where you just flew around in a helicopter until I realised how to get out of it. (Also, not being able to sprint, strafe or even move backwards as a soldier was annoying.)

Ah listen to me, I sound like I'm not giving you enough credit.

For what it was, it was very good , just, keep up the work and it'll be great.

Out of interest, is the sync rate set to 100?
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2008 05:47
Nice. Very nice in parts, but obviously it's not finished.

I really like the island. Whenever i make terrains they look repetitive. Yours looks sweet. The water and sky look good too, although you should probably enable filtering for the water.

Nice models. I noticed on the TEL, only the frontmost wheels steer. At least the front 4 wheels should steer. Possibly all 8.

Watching the tank wheels from the side, they sort of "flash". I guess lighting was drawn onto the texture. Not a big problem really.

Couldn't find how to decrease altitude in the helicopter.

Obviously you don't have collisions between things yet, or with the water.

So basically what's there is good and runs plenty quick enough, but there's a lot of stuff still to do, which no doubt you are already aware. I look forward to seeing more. Happy coding!

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2008 07:15
Very nice on the demo, I can't wait for a demo with an AI. Btw, would you post the demo on the first post? It'll make it easier for all of us.

Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2008 00:15
Been a while since I posted so thought I should! Don't have much to say at the moment, have been busy with school over last 2 weeks. Well anyway I should have done this much earlier but here is all the controls for the demo.

Controls:

Thats the main controls for the previous demo.

Update:
I almost have a pretty decent AI system for the Tanks in the game now. Although I still need to make the AI a bit more random since at the moment they basically all do the exact same thing, and they end up merging together!

Oh and one question I wanted to ask was about some of the darkmatter 2 models... Some of the vehicles seem to have no animations for the movement.. I thought this wouldn't cause any trouble since I am moving the limbs manually for the other vehicles anyway.. but not only do the models I'm having trouble with do not have animations, but they don't even have proper limbs for the wheels! If anyone has any suggests then please do post.

Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 19:04
Hey, I havn't updated posted any updates in a good while now because I have been busy with school and other things. But anyway the level editor is now fully done and works great. The game engine now has 6 vehicles. There are also 2 static vehicles for scenery (The APC and SA-8). Anyway most of the vehicles control quite well now.
Well here is a couple of pics.

The first one is just a little test flight of the huey and the second is the result of jumping out of the apache over the water!
@COwbox: Oh the frame rate is set to 60 fps in that demo!

What I'm working on at the moment is implementing collision into the engine. I have already been experimenting with it so it should be finished pretty soon. Anyway, as always feedback is welcome!

baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 19:48
As always, its looking damn good!

I enjoyed the demo a lot, nice and open-ended at the moment .

Keep up the good work Conor!

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr300/tristanbacon/TheGameReview/thegamereview_banner01.jpg
Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 19:42
Sorry for the lack of updates! I will try to keep them a bit more frequent! Anyway I have been working on collision lately and It's apart from a few small bugs it's working pretty well. You are now also able to run down soldiers and crush them..

I hope to release another demo of the game in a couple of weeks which will have some AI in to fight against. I plan on releasing the full game at the end of the year along with the level editor so you can create your own battlefields. I'm not sure yet if I will charge a small price, but sure I'll see how it goes! Keep posted!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 14:19
@ Conor B
I'm GLaD to see this project is still here, I was getting worried it had stopped.

...Soharix regains one of its rivals...

(except we've not made a WIP for our project yet xD)
Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2008 01:17
Wow it has been quite a while since I posted an update, sorry guys! I have been doing lots of other things, but don't worry I'm still working on the game.
I want to release another sort of playground demo pretty soon. It won't have proper AI (I still need to implement proper AI) but there is quite a few new features to the game including collision, swimming, running down soldiers, destroying vehicles/soldiers with the tank gun, apache launches rockets etc.

Just some info on the final game:
It should hopefully be released at the end of next month alongside the level editor so that you can create your own battlefields!
They will both be free to download from a site I am setting up.
Although the game won't have a proper story it is just a skirmish type game (Basically a deathmatch).
I plan on rewrtiting a new/improved version of the game engine in Dark GDK which I am going to use in my next game (Starting it about a month after I finish this game).
There is a few features which I didn't implement into the game which I would like to add to the improved engine for my next game; like 1st person/Lua scripting etc.

Here's a screenshot of a test level using a few models imported from fpsc (Engine also automatically handles there collision):

I think I forgot to ask before but if a few people could tell me what sort of speeds they were getting with the previous demo then that would be great! And as always comments/questions are welcome. Thanks.

Anyway I hope your not to disapointed with the lack of story etc with the game! It's my first game and I'm happy enough with it anyway!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:31:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:31:31