Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / (Gah, too eager, can't resists) How's everyone's project coming along?

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 04:59 Edited at: 9th Jul 2003 04:59
Well, someone knew one of these posts was coming along, and I guess it had to be me.I know we get one of these threads every month, but now more than ever I feel that some projects are really coming along.
I guess I'll start with myself, since I decided to start this thread.

Matrix Editor:
Percent Complete:15%
Started 7-8-03
Currently just finished my raising and lower system, and am adding textures, and a save system(thanks again AzureZeal)

Particle System:
Perecnt Complete:2%
Started 7-8-03
Well, there's a really good chance that this will be combined with the Matrix editor(makes sense of course).Currnetly just started building the backbone.

3D fighting game(my sig lies sometimes "2d fighter in progress" )
Percent Complete:3%
Started 6-24-03
Once my matrix editor gets completed this game will finally start on the get go.As of now there are only untextured models, so that's where the 3% comes in.(now you see why I'll need a good particle systme for powerups)

Unknown RPG
Percent Complete: 0%
started 6-4-03
Still in concept design, but I guess that counts for a ongoing project.May be dropped(for now), if I decide to really get into the fighter.

I'm also working with Inkybro, and his team, on Wizard duels, but I'll leave that for him or another member to post.

Well those are my main projects for now, and like the posts says, I'm eager to hear of all or some of your ongoing projects.

Yellow:Wanna publish my game microsoft, cuz i no u rich so...Can I have my bag of money now?
Microsoft: *snicker* Tip of the month-Microsoft will never(probebly) publish your game.
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 05:03
I have too many to list. I have planned/started about 40 projects, most of which 25-50% complete. I don't know if I'll ever finish one.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 05:04
I'm working on a vague and mysterious project with a vague and mysterious person that will be done a vague and mysterious time from now . I hate making promises or commitments, so I rarely tell anybody until I'm finished-- which is why it seems like I never work on anything

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 05:18
Yea, never seems like I'm working on anything either, infact this is the first time I've ever shown my projects real progress.Oh, well, I'm hoping 1/4 will be finished.

Keep posting on your projects.

Yellow:Wanna publish my game microsoft, cuz i no u rich so...Can I have my bag of money now?
Microsoft: *snicker* Tip of the month-Microsoft will never(probebly) publish your game.
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 05:41 Edited at: 9th Jul 2003 05:43
If you really want to know about the projects I'm currently working on:

o 3D Chess game. See http://www.freewebs.com/andrew11/; click "3D Chess"

o A game somewhere between Mario 64 and Zelda OoT (Don't know what that type of game is called; arrow, help me out here. ). I won't release any story yet, but It's pretty crazy. Take my word for it. Currently in late planning stage. Hope to get it done sometime in the next 100 years.

o Mesh matrix editor (primearallyf(sp?) for the above game).

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 05:51 Edited at: 9th Jul 2003 05:52
Currently:

Zoids: The Ancients - C++ w/DirectX - Mech MMORPG
most of the world format & physics done, have a few of the minor models and characters finished ... but compaired to current projects it looks just like its my first game in C++ - it is but it still looks bad to me.

Jedi Knight: Duel of Honour - DBP w/DarkKarma - Multipler Action
i've got a single level for this done, but i dunno what the hell the other coders are actually working on... as it sure as hell doesn't seem to be this. And one can't even be bothered to tell me that he was gonna be away from the summer which really pissed me off (this is why i hate working in teams with people from here, they do a little work then leave me hanging )

Space Hulk : Mysteries of the Sanguinius Armisture - C++ w/OpenGL/OpenAL/idNetwork - Survival Horror
This is due out August 2004 on EA Games (4years in the making and well worth the wait)

Zelda: The Shadow Pyramid - DB/DBP - Game Engine/Action RPG
just a few loose ends to tie up really, sorting out and finalising fmtBSP 14 for DB & DBP ... trying to get the Cel Shading to work right in both (both are using a plugin for the Shaders)

7th Day Project - C++ w/Luma - Think its a new Genre
have a demo underway which is a full 12hr pre-story the the main game in November, you miss out this and you'll miss alot of the storyline and baggage that comes with it. This is the ONLY project that really matters to me.
November 2003 - Demo Release (aka 7dp-Genesis) [not spelt wrong]
Qtr2 2004 - Full Release (aka 7dp-Innocence)
beyond 2004 - ?There will be more?

i have an entire stroy planned out, and how many games i take to complete the entire story i'm not sure. i hope that the game will hook onto fans of Animé like Ghost in the Shell as the story is just so much of an involved story allowing you to evolve your character into an extension of you.
Something new planned which i don't think i've ever seen another game do, is your character will be saved - and you can access her in the next game... so you can either start with preset standard or start with your old character from the previous games.

Tatoos / Battle Scars / Weapon Skills / Fighting Moves / Fighting Techniqués / Strength / Agility / Stamina / Injuries

will all be passed on from game to game ... which will allow you to rather than just play each game as a single story - really get into the feel that each game takes of exactly where the last ended.

The setup of the missions means that the less experienced you are the slower the game gets you involved, whereas you come from the previous game you can choose to take the easy versions of mission or the hard ones or just relaxing ones. Each mission is structured in a way that you choose the difficulty be choosing what tasks you want to complete. Some are timed, some are setup to switch between a partner ... Some you have to use you ComOp to navigate things.
each mission just has several aspects to choose from, depending on which you choose determins the difficulty of the next set of missions - determines what happens in the story.

althought the underline story is set the character are pitched to run along a few dynamic routes which means being a veteran or newbie will show you different aspect of the story, it will either go into details you won't know or overlook those you do know. It's like being able to take a film and watch it over and over again - each time noticing there is more to it than originally meets the eye.

hopefully this will take away the general myth behind "graphics make a good game" ... cause although the graphics are second to none, your focus will be so closely on the story and gameplay the graphics will just be like "whoa! i never noticed how cool that looks before" when you're like in an airvent looking down at cops and watching the dust flutter through the sunbeams comming in... projecting compisite soft shadows that add just so much depth.

another thing about the graphics is i'm getting sick and tired of this Softimage SUPERSOFT style of people. the only title i've seen to date which looks like the people were actually developed through skill rather than the mesh divide are those in Resident Evil (on the GC) ... i've also been getting sick of the extreme unknowlageable use of Cel Shading - although the i'm not sure if to go with a Cel or Real look right now, the cell look is pretty amazing as i've tried to give it a cartoon look without taking away from the realism at all. Anyone who has seens the latest Ghost in the Shell cartoons will have noticed that they're cel shading is exceptional - and although my own isn't quite that good yet, it is slowly getting there.

but knowing me i'll change my mind at the last min and take it out

-----------------------------

well thats about all that i'm working on, exluding the plugins. most of this all really finished actual work within the next few months - then i'll be reclusing to work on 7dp and just improving it before the deadline release.

[edit-]
There is also Op: Desert Fox ... but i don't wanna say anything about that until its released

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 05:58 Edited at: 9th Jul 2003 05:59
Sounds like you've got the load, but as for the Cel Shading part.

I say go with Cel shading rather than the realism look.It's something that can really make the game stand out from the others, and if your able to keep the seriousness and feel of the game, then you'll have a great thing going.

Space Hulk: 4 years in the making! I bet it will be well worth the wait.

Keep posting folks.

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 06:12
My Planet Side simulator (15% complete)
Genre: Strategy/Simulator/FPS

World features (85%)
Special effects (15%)
Ships (2%)
Upgrades/Weapons etc... (0%)
FPS [main part of the game] (2%)
AI (0%)

Features:
-Fly around and take complete command of your own space Battleship
-Seemlessly (and I meen it) fly into the atmospheres of planets with lush jungles to hot volcanic rock formations.
-Build your own worlds with the world editor allowing heightmaps, object placement, cloud formations, ambient sounds, atmosphere and water colors, and hopefully many more features as the game goes on.
-Walk around planet surfaces or inside your Battleship
-Pilot a variety of different vehicles from large battleships to fighters, to tanks, to submarines.
-Establish planetary or subterrainian colonies*
-Command a crew of NPCs and/or
-Fly with your friends and dominate a planet over LAN or Internet.

* feature is being debated and may not be implemented

I have different ideas for the story lines. I may have Campaigns (over glorified scenarios maybe) for single player. Each camaign takes place over a single planet. My leading thought for the "story" is that the map builder makes the stories. Scenarios/Campaigns may span over multiple worlds, but each campaign will probably a single war and the length of the war is completely dependent on the player's actions. Random events might also drive the story. Shipment causes piracy to rise or diplomat insults world leader type situations that can cause wars.

Current Projects: Game Spawn 85%, mini BSP maker 50%, Height Mapper with many features 75%, Space Tactical (Like BC300AD) 15%.
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 06:13 Edited at: 9th Jul 2003 06:16
Ewwww.... I HATE cel shading. It's so ugly. I think they totally ruined Zelda (also game play and story sucks IMAO). He looks like a... Well I won't get into how bad the graphics are. It's not appropriate.

Well that's my opinion. Don't start a huge debate on this topic though!

@Raven
That's quite a long list of games you've got there. And you plan to finish every one? Good luck!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 07:10 Edited at: 9th Jul 2003 07:15
Zelda is one of the best uses of Cel Shading i've seen yet, the whole affair was very polished - the story might be lacking in it but then it is aimed at kids not adults and for a generation who've grown up around the cartoon which looks similar.

that aside, from that list there is only a single title i'm working Solo on - that's 7th Day Project, well cept the soundtrack... some of the people i got for that i was surprised actually.

as for cell shading ... this is basically the look i'm going for

due to my non-discloser, the very contract which prevents magazines from posting shots also prevents me (if i don't want to void it)

so these are shots from Ghost in the Shell : SAC - mine isn't quite as complex and inclusive as that yet but i'm getting there
i think its a pretty sweet style of Cel Shading which just hasn't been attempted before so it would make it stand out from the crowd, but as everyone is using it now - i think it might actually be better just to go with realistic.

[edit-]
before anyone says "hey that ain't cell shading" all of the vehicles are 3D models ... and the second one the world is 3D too.

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 07:26 Edited at: 9th Jul 2003 07:27
That cel shading actually dosen't look too bad. It looks almost exactly like an anime cartoon. Much better than the Zelda style cel shading, IMAO. If you can do that then go for it .

Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 12:31 Edited at: 9th Jul 2003 12:31
CHAOS-RPG
% complete 5
Progress
Engine, modelling etc. AT the moment i am working on a map editor for it.

Dark worlds are all around us.Open your eyes and you will see.You are still half asleep
http://destined.to/ukchaoshttp://masterchaos.proboards20.com
Jeffro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 13:03
Project?, What project?

I'm just working my way through the book, having fun though and have got some ideas for when I have a (much) better understanding of programming (and 3D graphics).

It's never as easy as it looks!
CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 20:54
Currently Programming a somewhat generic, yet promising 2D engine for a future project. After that future project is completed, a 3D engine will be in the works!

Retro Cheese 2D:
-full advantage taken of DBC's pixel collision functions.
(The hardest part of modeling a 2D engine is pretty much taken care of...)(Well, we'll see if AI give collision detection a run for it's money)
-lots of scrolling stuff.

Mysterious Future Project:
I say 1% because the idea is based off of my work in Retro Cheese 2D.
It's going to be an action/puzzel game similar in respects to the gameplay of Jetpack and the blast-em action of an asteroids clone in an overhead view.

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 21:12
' hopefully this will take away the general myth behind "graphics make a good game"'

Nobody thinks that. They are an important facet of a good game, like everything else.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 22:03
Quote: "Nobody thinks that. They are an important facet of a good game, like everything else."

i suppose tetris has ground breaking graphics?
sure they add atmosphere but, tell ya what read the first post in the HL2 thread above mate ... or any review of B&W2 ... sorry but the first thing out of most peoples mouths are "the graphics are..."

this is why i don't want anyone to see this game until they're playing the demo - i don't want them to be going into it thinking about the graphics, i want them to start in the LA apartment and mess about for a bit and truely get to grips with the controls ... after a while the graphics won't even occur to them. The feel and play of the game are what your focus will be on, the graphics are yes still above par to similar games - but they only actually aid the fact of not noticing what they're like.

Grand Turismo4 to me is another game which really has this effect, if you play it before your read about it ... the one thng you come away thinking is "wow... now THAT is how a car game should be!"

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 22:08
Yea, you make a good point about the graphics Raven. That's the way I felt about Asheron's Call2.I tried the 15(or 30) day trial, because I said to mysefl "Those are some awesome graphics", and to me the game turned into a boring, walk around the world,kill 1000 rats, piece of crap game.Gameplay was very shallow for me, disagree about AC2 if you want, but that just shows that graphics are what hooks a person at first, but gameplay is what will determine if they stay for more.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 22:27
Just finished one.

I'm looking for ideas on what to do next.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_103.zip
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 22:44
Buy me Microsoft

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 23:37
You don't need fancy graphics in a good game, just so long as you can look at the screen for more than a minute without going blind/insane.

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 23:53
Update

Matrix Editor:
Percent Complete:20%
Started 7-8-03
Adding textures, and a save system(thanks again AzureZeal),also just got an interface up.It doesn't look very professional, but it will be changed later, and is only temporary.

Particle System:
Perecnt Complete:3%
Started 7-8-03
This will be combined with the matrix editor.(Why have 2 different applications, when they can be combined for convinence?)

3D fighting game(my sig lies sometimes "2d fighter in progress" )
Percent Complete:4%
Started 6-24-03
As the matrix editor becomes closer to completion, this game does also.I've just modeled another character.( no texture)

Unknown RPG- is in the same state as the top post.

Well those are all the updates on my project, and I have a really good feeling about it.I'm gonna try to finish a saving, and loading system sometime today.

*Mouse-lol, someone finally read my display I guess.

Quote: "You don't need fancy graphics in a good game, just so long as you can look at the screen for more than a minute without going blind/insane."

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 04:32
Graphics aren't everything, but if a game has horrible graphics, relative to other games, it won't sell, and it'll be harder to play.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 04:46
but they do sell... thats the whole problem, people buy them on graphics - realise the game is actually crap but they've already bought it.

the publishers go DIRECTLY on how well a title retails and not on if they're brought back or anything.
Reviewers always favour crap games that have good graphics... there is no way in hell i want my title be though of as just a pure graphics fest.

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 05:53
Quote: "the publishers go DIRECTLY on how well a title retails and not on if they're brought back or anything.
Reviewers always favour crap games that have good graphics... there is no way in hell i want my title be though of as just a pure graphics fest."

lol i do cos thats about all i can hope for at the min half decent graphics in the games i create cos i sure suck at coding!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 04:47:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 04:47:01