Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Angle of Descent

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 04:04 Edited at: 29th Jun 2008 00:49
Angle of Descent Engine:

[Latest Downloads are found on this post]

This engine is a room with variable gravity. It's a 2D engine using the Box2d physics wrapper. The idea is that you can't change your direction in mid-air, you can only change direction when you bounce off something (Think of the Battle Room in Ender's Game). Controls consist of turning left and right, which dictates which direction you will bounce in, and increasing or decreasing your bounce power.

Some games will have additional controls, Space Potassium for example, allows the player to shoot in the direction he is pointing.

AI in the games takes over whenever input isn't detected for several seconds. AKA, if you leave your guy alone for a while, the computer will take over. This is implemented so that you don't have to decide if you want to play 1 player or 2 player, the game figures it out for you ^^. It also means that if you are in a 2 player game and your buddy leaves or takes a quick break, you don't have to pause, the computer will play for him automatically without any stop in gameplay.

Games:

Space Potassium

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?txey2j0skzj

Goal: To shoot the players of the opposing team, which turns them momentarily into bananas xD. You can pick up powerups (The ?'s), which change your weapon. The game ends when a team has 10,000 points.

Controls:

Player One (Blue):
Turn Right = Right Arrow
Turn Left = Left Arrow
Increase Speed = Up Arrow
Decrease Speed = Down Arrow
Shoot = Space
Random Boost = Keypad '0'

Player Two (Orange):
Turn Right = D
Turn Left = A
Increase Speed = W
Decrease Speed = S
Shoot = Shift
Random Boost = Q

Features: ( '*' = Complete '-' = Upcoming '^' = In Progress )
* Physics Engine
* Controls
* AI
* Win Detection (End of game)
* Powerups
* Sound
* Music
* Menu System
^ More Powerups

Kabash

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?iazmgjy3t2o

In Kabash, the goal of the game is to collide with your opponent at a greater speed than him. Points are awarded based on how much faster you are moving. You can pick up a buzz saw which will ensure victory at every collision, but it will disappear after a bit. Bombs will spawn occasionally, they explode and move stuff around.

Controls:

Player One (Red):
Turn Right = Right Arrow
Turn Left = Left Arrow
Increase Speed = Up Arrow
Decrease Speed = Down Arrow

Player Two (Green):
Turn Right = D
Turn Left = A
Increase Speed = W
Decrease Speed = S

Features: ( '*' = Complete '-' = Upcoming )
* Physics Engine
* Controls
* AI
* Sound
^ Powerups
- Menu System
- Win Detection (End of game)

This is a random sentence about squirrels.
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2008 21:48
I see that there hasn't been much interest ><

Perhaps this will liven things up.

In this next version an AI is included for both players. Basically if you stop playing for a little bit, the AI takes over, but the timer should be long enough that it will never take over when you are still playing. This way you don't have to bother choosing 1 or 2 player, the game can tell for itself what you want. After the AI takes over you can start playing again at any time simply by using your controls, which will reset the timer.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?gpekmcygyzm

I saw that about 5 people downloaded it last time, so surely someone has an opinion? Tell me what you think

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2008 00:26 Edited at: 8th Jun 2008 00:27
@ Phosphoer
Hi, I read your first post when it got put up and I intended to reply later, I just forgot. (sorry)

But now reading your second post, it seems like an even cooler idea.

I will download it sometime as it looks like an interesting and unique game.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2008 01:04
Ah, yes - I had intended to reply as well. Idea is pretty darn original!

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 10:48
Thanks for the comments guys ^^.

This is the second installment on the Angle of Descent engine, a game called Space Bananas.

Note that I'm still going to be updating the first game, but I wanted to see what else was possible with this engine.

In this one you control a little spaceship, controls are the same as before except Blue Player uses Shift to shoot and Orange uses Space to shoot.

The goal is simply to shoot the opposing team's spaceships, which will momentarily turn them into bananas, thus disabling them for a short period of time.

Once again there is no score limit, so the game continues forever until one of you decides that you won xD.

The same AI system has been applied, and in order to discern between the ships, the team's score hovers next to the ship you control.

A screenshot:

And download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?xwj6jntl10v

I have yet to finish adding all the sounds for this one, right now I just have a laser shooting sound, but there will be more.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2008 06:37
A small update, which adds a nice juicy splat sound when a dude gets banana'ed ^^. It also adds a slight variable gravity, I decided it was fun to try to curve your shots a bit. The gravity switches randomly between being very light in the downward direction to none at all.

There are also a few other random changes, such as lasers now 'die' after hitting another player instead of bouncing off, there was a slight problem with the score because it gave points for shooting bananas. Also you now spend less time as a banana after being shot.

I'm thinking about making a online enabled version of these two games..but know nothing about multiplayer programming and not many people seem to be interested anyway ><.

Download is attached No new screenshots because it still looks essentially the same.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2008 13:36 Edited at: 11th Jun 2008 13:41
nice work i enjoyed playing the first one , just gonna try this one.

very unique well done .

[edit] cool just played it ,like the stars are they just sprites under gravity, cool effect anyways.

toshiba satellite 1.6 core duo + nvidia geforce go 7300
windows xp pro.
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2008 21:45
Thank you

I assume you mean the little green moving pixels in teh background? They are not sprites actually, they are just made with the Dot command. I have an array for their X and Y position and that is affected by the force of gravity and explosions. They also have a bit of code which makes them 'cluster' or group together. Usually they spawn because a previous dot went off the screen, and when that happens it is positioned randomly, but each dot also has a life, and when that expires it spawns next to the last dot created, which makes a growing/spreading sort of effect.

I don't know why I put that in the game, it's kind of random xD. They are mostly just there to show what direction the gravity is going/how strong.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for additions to either of the two games, or ideas for another game using the same room, feel free to throw them at me!

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 10:33
Update for the space bananas game (I shall update the first game next):

Added a bunch of stuff, this has a main menu, although "Options" And "Info" don't do anything yet :p

I also added some powerups, which are the throbbing ?'s in the game.

The game now ends at 10,000 points so you can actually win! Hooray! ^^. 10,000 seems like a lot but it actually goes by pretty fast :p

Have fun!

Attachments

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 22:16
Whoops, small update, the above version gave all kills to player 1, this version fixes that xD.

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 16:08
New game is pretty fun too . 10,000 indeed goes pretty fast.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 00:37 Edited at: 29th Jun 2008 00:39
Thanks ^^. With this new update 10,000 no longer goes quite as fast so the default win score has been changed to 2,500.

List of changes:
* Menu is now complete
* Music!
* Re-work of the lasers
- Teams now have different colored lasers according to their ship's color
- All the laser graphics have been re-created
- The spread shot has shorter range and moves a bit slower
- The big shot has a little bit shorter range and moves a lot slower
- Powerups now have ammo, when you run out you default back to the basic laser
- If you shoot a friendly ship who is currently a banana, it will heal him and give your team a point
- In light of the above, friendly fire is turned off, to prevent you from repeatedly shooting your teammates and then healing them to gain points.

* There may be other changes that I forgot about :p

You may download the game from here, or at the link in my first post.(I upload here and at mediafire above to preserve bandwidth)

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:22:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:22:07