Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Game Creator Store for X10?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 04:55
Is the store coming to X10?

Once upon a time I thought getting on the X10 train was the way to the future. But I keep watching feature after feature go to X9.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
MLLamble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 05:14
I don't know about the store coming to X10, but I agree with you. I'm sick of X9 getting all the updates! X10 is a better system, and has more versatility, and should be getting the focus.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 07:37
If you read up on the subject (and you obviously didn't or you wouldn't have posted this in the first place) they are going to get the store working in x9 first.There are a variety of good reasons for this.
TGC sells a variety of products and I am sure the owners of every one of them want something.
If you stick around here very long surely you will aquire some patience.
As far as your observations about x10 blowing x9 away...not at this point.
FPSC x9 is a more polished engine,you can do more with it because it's been around longer and Nickydude released that awesome guide, there is more media available and media is easier to make for it.
x10 is the future and has some cool stuff...it's just not quite there yet.When TGC takes x10 to where they wish to take it (hoping for some ATI support as well) I have no doubt it will be a superior engine.
The fact is that TGC has some schedule (I suspect it involves letting the drunkest person throw a dart at a dartboard or something) on what they are doing and when they plan on releasing products.
There's going to be a store for x10 sooner or later.So let's all take a deep breath,reload and whack a zombie or two...

The floating skull is gone but the flames burn on!!!
SBOVIS
Years of Service
User Offline
I have to agree with the others FredP, the whole forums here got very excited about x10 version before launch, it launched and people boght the version, even updated their systems and even paid for new systems to use the wonders of what it advertised. Now it seems the support for it from TGC is waining with just promises instead of action.

I for one have both versions, and if anyone really wants to develope with this software they should look at X10 for the future as X9 (IMO) really is not an option.

Just do not hold your breath people!!
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 18:18
Just looking for info on plans for X10. I've plenty of stuff to work on, so patience is not a problem. But X10 was persona non grata in the last newsletter!

Point taken re:TGC Store. I would add that it would be nice to not mix X9 and X10 news together. It's bad enough that people keep posting X9 issues in the X10 forum.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
Static Spartan49
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "don't know about the store coming to X10, but I agree with you. I'm sick of X9 getting all the updates! X10 is a better system, and has more versatility, and should be getting the focus."

Maybe, but not near as many people have Vista compared to the amount that have XP.
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2008 03:37
But you won't see "new features" put into XP and not Vista.

FastBurst 2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 00:13
Well people not Having Vista will soon disappear very soon. AS a Microsoft MVP I was informed 3 months ago, that XP after Sept 2009 will no longer be supported.

The Last service pack SP3 for XP was released and that is all there will be.(Same thing happened when XP came out did away with 2000, NT, and 98SE)

I personally think they should concentrate on the future as it is coming up faster than you think. On a side note for those that are against Vista and saying it has issues. (You really need to think back in your memory as EVERYTHING they say About Vista being non-compatiable and unstable and all that hoop-la is the EXACT same thing they said when XP first hit the market. Starting to Show my age now. No one wanted XP because was so new and not many manufacturers supported it yet. HERE we are almost 10 years later same fire storm. I have Vista for about 4 years now, Yes I have had it that long used to be called LongHorn, with no issues We have been developing Vista since 2001)

Anyways, I have to say X10 is great and was so promising yet, the lack of support is 2 thumbs down. X9 is great and gets support constintly and updates. X10 not so much...

~James

Phoenix Sentry Programmer & CoFounder
shadow651
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 16:52
I dont know why people complain about vista, it is far better and easier to use, i've had one or two issues that lasted a day at the most with XP i normally waited a week and then had to restore my computer

[url] Operationblackmesa.vossey.net [/url]
Forums [url] http://operationblackmesa.vossey.net/forums [/url] OPBM Developer
TechGirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 17:15
Yes XP is on it's way out, courtesy of Microsoft. Vista is coming with all new computers. X10 compatible graphics cards are getting cheaper and cheaper (8800 is now $179).

What I am really in need of is X10 compatible Model Packs. I'd love an X10 store so I can pick and choose the items I need, but if right now they could just make most of the Model Packs X10 ready, I would be happy...

At the very least, how about a time frame posted on the Model Packs...example: Model Pack 4 - X10 ready July 1. Model Pack 5- X10 ready July 15, etc.

Thanks

TechGirl
(Yes, I'm really female!)
Holloguts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2008 06:36
Well I use both XP and Vista (new to vista) and I have to say that vista is a pain to begin with. I think the problem is that there is so much focus on security that using the OS becomes a nightmare when you first start. Running progs in admin mode helps, but forget to do it when installing some things and the nightmares start again. The trouble it caused with X10 was frustrating. Had an external drive connected. My documents are set for the external drive and when I installed x10 all fpi and fpe scripts were installed to the external drive as well as the c: drive.

At one stage I couldn't run x10 if f: drive was connected and couldnt edit fpi's if it wasn't. MAD! Sorted now, got rid of user accounts, everything is done in admin mode. I know it's not good, but it stops a lot of hassle, and I do have norton full security running and check all downloads.

As for the store in x10. It won't work unless every item within the store is first made x10 compatible. You think that's going to happen? From individual developers? There is no point in purchasing a wardrobe only to find it is only ankle high in size. No scaling in x10 stops the store presently being used in x10. The packs and stock material are not very good in x10, they are too big. We can find out how to change the size within a modeller, but do you really want to do that with everything you purchase? I don't. The games in x10 look fantastic, but characters look like fat giants and furniture to suit them.

The only store that will work in x10 is a dedicated x10 models store (hopefully scaled correctly), but I would prefer scaling to be introduced into x10 even at the cost of instancing, or given the choice within the engine for either. Scaling in x10 would allow the present store to be availble for x10.
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2008 15:43
well, correct me if im wrong, but fpsc x9 is getting more attention cos of the migration. lee is a busy man, so just be patient.

Please check out my WWII Media Pack 1 FPSC thread... http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=131014&b=3&p=0
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 16:08
Quote: "Running progs in admin mode helps, but forget to do it when installing"

Yeah, I didn't realize this until most of my media for Poser was loaded. It all went the that crappy "Virtual Store". Which meant that half of the time the app couldn't really find the right files. Had to reload tens of thousands of files. Augh! And in FPSC, it took me forever to find where the video capture was stored. How do software vendors manage to get it so wrong when they have the best of intentions!

TechGirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 16:58
Aaagreen, If we could just get an idea of a timeframe for the models to be X10 ready, that would be very helpful. X10 has been out for what, 6 months now? If we could just be told, hey we are busy finishing up the FPSC stuff, but in a month we will be working on the X10 models and they should be done by ____ time.

Many people upgraded their comps and graphics cards for X10, spent $70 on X10, bought several model packs at $20 each and are just waiting for the model packs that they need to complete their games to be X10 ready.

Just a timeframe, that's not too much to ask for...

TechGirl
(Yes, I'm really female!)
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 17:10
You guys did realise we had to wait 2 years(if I remember it correctly) to get the first patch for FPSC X9 right? X10 got updates almost straight away.

SOTA Engine
Purchase
Source and Non Source versions available!
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 18:03
Quote: "X10 got updates almost straight away."

They were fixing things that were supposed to work upon release.
Supporting you product is not something to brag about. It's part
of doing business.

Now on the plus side (something to brag about), Lee was very responsive to issues we were having with getting X10 to install smoothly with Vista. It is much easier.

I think most everyone here is respectful, and supportive. Folks just want information. We're seeing a lot of communication on the X9 side. I don't think X10 was even mentioned in the last newsletter?

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 20:22
X9 had issues that needed to be fixed too, but they only got fixed 2 years later... Have patience, TGC are just a few guys, not a whole design and programming team of 50+ people.

SOTA Engine
Purchase
Source and Non Source versions available!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 11:37:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 11:37:28