Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Polycounts and camera range.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone,

Wow only been programming in C++ for about 4 days now. I have already created a world with a ball walking through it. Full with footstep soundeffects and music. However, and I'm sure this one of the biggest issues with making an RPG. The more models I ad the alower the engine. I know that's apparent. But my poly count on my buildings are already low. There is just too many. I have my camera range set to 50000 because I have a skybox. When I set it lower I lsoe the skybox. My question is

How many polygons is too much for a seen and is it better to user one object with a lot of polygons or a bunch of objects with lower polygons.

Also is there a way to create a skybox model that isn't effected by the camera range so I can set the camera range lower essentially lowering the number of polygons in a scene but still allowing me to see the skybox.

Thanks
Deeamon
aersixb9
Years of Service
User Offline
Your video card should have a polygons/second rating...

That being said, DarkGDK seems pretty fast compared to C# Direct3D...but how you write the program matters a lot. If it's worth it, swap models when things are further away. (From a hi-poly model to a low-poly model based on distance from the camera...) There may or may not be a built in feature in video cards that does that exact thing...also I think there *IS* a way to render the skybox without having a large draw-distance, but I don't know how to do it in DarkGDK! In DirectX, you simply draw the skybox before you draw anything else.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 21:34:16
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 21:34:16