Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / City Builder (Game)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 19:46 Edited at: 16th Jun 2008 18:07
NEW VERSION -
I have created a new version. It's not quite complete yet but this new version is a significant improvement. The graphics have been significantly updated (including the resolution to meet the standard 1024*768). New buildings have been added along with a new city stat traffic. The game also generates random heightmaps and textures them automaticly and saves the heightmap with the city files. This means each city can have different terrain. The menu and load period have also been improved.

Screenshot of a city.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 20:21 Edited at: 9th Jun 2008 20:41
It looks really nice, downloading...

[Edit]
It's a really nice start! You may consider to use some sort of grid system like the one in SimCity (I can't remember if sc4 used grids, at least 2k and 3k did). Some buildings and roads appeared partially below surface, so you should add some kind of automatic terra-forming(a tool would be nice too).
Anyway, it's a good start(nice animation in the beginning). I'm looking forward to see how this progresses!

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 20:32 Edited at: 9th Jun 2008 20:34
Wowowowow, this looks great!!!

Downloading right now...

EDIT:

Is the picture of the train a norwegian one?

The ones i use in norway looks just like that

Programming Recorder: 2,5 months of dark basic
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 20:38
The picture of the train refers to a subway - I haven't acturly finished making the subway and so it doesn't do anything yet (it will improve your traffic index once I add that). I just got a random picture off google and scaled it down.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 20:40 Edited at: 9th Jun 2008 20:41
Cool game, but i dont understand how to play, you should add a small tutorial or something

All my buildings just turn transparent :S

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 20:42 Edited at: 9th Jun 2008 20:44
Quote: "All my buildings just turn transparent"

Doesn't that mean they have electricity?

[Edit] Oh, it meant the opposite.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 20:43 Edited at: 9th Jun 2008 20:44
Yeh, i fixed it now

Just build some mills

How do i earn money?

Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 20:44
If the buildings turn transparent it means they don't have the means to stay open. Look at the panel and it will display in red things which you city lacks. The lightnign bolt means you need more power so build more wind turbines (more to come I swear). The green and red men are workers - build houses to get more of them. You also need to have each building near to a road otherwise it won't be able to operate.

You'r right I should right a tutorial - I just wanted to see what people think about it so far and to see if there are any glaring bugs.
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 20:45
Money is earned by employing your people as you can then tax them. You people can be employed by constructing factories and farms - I will add more things soon hopefully.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 20:54
Cool, now i get it

I have a civilization up and running

But are there people?

Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 20:56
yea - I haven't realy put people or cars on yet. I might do in the future. 2D plains going around your streets would be cool. I was trying to focus on balacing the game because since all of the buildings infulence all of the other buildings changing one value changes the game drasticly.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 20:59
Look at this:

Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 21:03
Thats pretty cool. Your city is complty random with factories next to residential. Be carefull because the location of buildings in relation to others effects their production. Factories next to the skyscraper will drive lots of people away.

You have alot of money, workers and power. You can easily expand by building loads of factories and making massive amounts of money.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 21:12
Quote: "You have alot of money, workers and power. You can easily expand by building loads of factories and making massive amounts of money. "

I did

Now i have like 23000$!

Quote: "Your city is complty random with factories next to residential. Be carefull because the location of buildings in relation to others effects their production. Factories next to the skyscraper will drive lots of people away."

Wow, i didnt know that

Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 21:17
ah - this city I'm playing at the moment is so slow at higher dificultly levels.
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 22:00
Wow, really nicely done

Controls are very intuitive, excellent work!

It's definitely very hard >< I can't figure out how to make money, I build factories, wind mills, roads, houses, and farms, and yet I still go bankrupt within 5 minutes ><.

A tutorial would definitely be appreciated xD

This is a random sentence about squirrels.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 23:29
Quote: "If the buildings turn transparent it means they don't have the means to stay open. Look at the panel and it will display in red things which you city lacks. The lightnign bolt means you need more power so build more wind turbines (more to come I swear). The green and red men are workers - build houses to get more of them. You also need to have each building near to a road otherwise it won't be able to operate.
Money is earned by employing your people as you can then tax them. You people can be employed by constructing factories and farms - I will add more things soon hopefully. "

I found that usefull.

Now i play on hard :p
Very addicting game

Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 00:11
lol - I'm glad you like it so much. I'm going to try expand it by adding the rest of the buildings I have planned:

Stadium
School
Univercity
Clinic
Hospital
Manufacturing
Reasurch Facility
Shop
Department Store
Office
Corporate Skyscraper
Fire Station
Police Station
Jail
Millatry Base
Coal Plant
Nuclear Plant
Solar Plant

Quite alot of buildings to add still plus other aspects such as pollution, traffic index, security, education and health.

And of course the tutorial.
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 10:13
Interesting game. Though I don't like simulators. But I will follow this project anyways. And try the releases.

- Elias, Damezean, Nackidno, Wonderboy

AntocGames - http://antocgames.se.nu/
FPSC AGENT F
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 12:23
Reminds me of an old ps2 game called Rollercoaster world though this one has more functions might download it when I format my hard drive it has issues lol

FPSC AGENT F
ozmoz
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope ,humans in your game will very nice
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 19:31
FPSC AGENT F - sorry I never played that game. But on this game you run a city not a theme park.

ozmoz - what do you mean?
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 19:45 Edited at: 10th Jun 2008 19:46
@Lord Einstein - I think he means that humans in the game would look good, instead of a big city without any people in it. Like a ghost town...

- Elias, Damezean, Nackidno, Wonderboy

AntocGames - http://antocgames.se.nu/
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 20:11 Edited at: 10th Jun 2008 20:14
lol. it is a bit. I'll try add them in.

Not right now though - I've got an exam in History tomorrow followed by one in Geography.
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2008 19:27
I played it and it's very addictive! I have some suggestions, though:
- Don't allow players to place buildings right on top of other buildings (since that means you can basically make 2 small squares of road and just place all your residences and parks on top of one and all your wind turbines and smelly factories on top of the other)
- Make it so that the roads need to link to the rest of the city. I could presumably build two separate cities which are not at all connected but they would still have the same income. This isn't really a big deal, though.
- Keep adding to it! It looks very promising.

Also: how on earth do you play on Very Hard? I build a dirt path, but then I can only ever get enough people to work one one farm which isn't enough to pay for the 2 wind turbines I've got. Either that or I end up with too much drain on the electricity but then I find I don't have enough cash for another turbine... Hm...

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
You know what would be a interesting concept? If it was done cartoony. I love cartoony style, and for a looking good game already it maybe able to pull off.

Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2008 20:53
no. I don't realy like the cartoony style. I quite like a light feel to the game but not cartoony.

Darth Kiwi - I should work on a collision system next but I don't know how to make it so that the roads must connect between workplace and residents. The roads don't even properly connect at the moment. A system which autolinks them would be quite good. As for the very hard difficulty it may not be possible. Its all just based upon a simple formular which decreases the efficentcy of each building dependign on the difficulty setting. I havn't really tried it under very hard, I just put it in because I could.
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2008 00:55
Quote: "The roads don't even properly connect at the moment. A system which autolinks them would be quite good. "

Actually, now you mention it, I was going to suggest that after I saw the first screenshot. But then I played it and I forgot all about it

Quote: "As for the very hard difficulty it may not be possible."
Ah, that would explain it... I did that kind of thing with a railshooter game of mine. The enemies would turn you into swiss cheese before it was physically possible to move the target reticule over them...

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2008 16:56
Quote: "no. I don't realy like the cartoony style. I quite like a light feel to the game but not cartoony."

Agreed

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2008 22:28
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2008 23:28
I had another thought. While the right-click-rotate mousewheel-zoom feels very intuitive, and the right-click-cancel mousewheel-rotate-building also feels very intuitive, I sometimes find it difficult to decide quite where to put a building once I've selected to build it because I'm then unable to zoom or turn the camera (without first cancelling the build). Maybe you could have it so that the player regains the old movement controls (while in build-mode) by, perhaps, holding a key but doesn't have to go out of build-mode? So I could pick a building, hold shift or something to get the position right, then release the key and fine-tune the rotation before placing.

I just explained that in way more detail than was necessary, didn't I?

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 13th Jun 2008 23:33
A game that looks this good deserves a nice title graphic, email me at wehtam2 [at] hotmail.com if you would like this logo supplied in another format.

Keep up the excellent work

Need a quality logo for your website, project or program ?
Head over to Wehtam.co.uk
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2008 23:35
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 00:23
Wow. I love the logo. I am definatly going to use that on the game. I need to develop a new main menu as I have updated the resolution of the game from 800*600 to 1024*768 (the standard used). I would like to use that logo in the new menu please.

Darth Kiwi - a nice little change, it dodn't really bother me but a good idea on how to improve the movement system.

I have also began to add some new buildings. I have added 5 new buildings. The models and textures are done (they are simple like the other buildings due to my low skill level), but the buildings need to be programmed in so that they acturly do stuff now.

From left to right Manufacturing, Office, High Rise, Coal Plant, Nuclear Plant, Solar Plant.

More to come soon - I only have 2 more exams left to do.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 00:51
Cool!

And, a tip, its always nice to ask if other people wants credit when they give you media

The new buildings looks awesome, another thing i am really looking forward to is the humans and maybe cars, if you decide to add them tough

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 10:12
Quote: "I would like to use that logo in the new menu please."

It's yours to use as you wish

Need a quality logo for your website, project or program ?
Head over to Wehtam.co.uk
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 10:42
Thanks
Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 18:12
I have released an updated and improved version. I need to work on the tutorial and collision now. This version has traffic, new buildings new graphics and random height maps. Thank to Wehtam_ for letting me use the logo.

Download the new version at the top of the page.

Screenshot
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 00:53
I've tried downloading twice now and both times I get an error with the archive. Are you sure it compressed/uploaded correctly?

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 05:35
I actually quite enjoy this game!! It really is a lot of fun, albeit, once you know the right formula, things aren't so hard.

I found out that building radio stacks increased my income by $300 a pop. More that anything else I think...

Love it, cant wait for more!!

Grrenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 08:20
Found a bug...

If you are in the middle of making a road (Stretching it across the land), and decide NOT to make it, then click on something else to build, then go BACK to building roads, once you click on the land, it'll throw an error saying the object already exists.

I suggest making it delete the temporary object if another selection in the board has been made.

This is a very interesting game, but I can't seem to make any money.

I first build houses, then I build roads for those houses, then I build a farm, then I connect the farm to my houses with a road, then I build some windmills for power. After that, I am still not making any money, so I build an office and connect my house roads to that... but nothing!!! What am I doing wrong??

The one and only,

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 08:42 Edited at: 17th Jun 2008 08:46
Alright, figured out where I had been going wrong in my development of the city, lol.

I find it frustrating that you CAN go into debt, but if your income isn't above 0, there's no way out of it, because you can't build.

I was satisfied with my town for a moment and decide to raise their happiness by building radio towers... that's when I accidentally went into debt, and SUDDENLY my income dropped below 0! So my town has now failed. Here's a screeny of my town.

[EDIT]
Some suggestions for the next version:

- Whenever you de-select something so as NOT to build it, the temp building is still there. It should be hidden if we're not using it.
- The clicking for setting roads is WAY too sensitive. If I click and drag, it'll start making roads with no end in sight!! I also find sometimes when I click tostart/end a road, it'll register that I clicked twice when i didn't. So this could end up with a small crappy outta place road, or it'll start a new road when I was just trying to finish one. Very annoying at times.
- Finish the Bull Dozer! I would love to have the option of deleting things! Especially mistakes.

That's all for now. Keep up the great work!!!
[/EDIT]

The one and only,

Attachments

Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 09:26 Edited at: 17th Jun 2008 09:32
Darth Kewi - The others seem to be able to download it. I tried to just attach the appalet but it didn't work. Give me your email adress and I'll try email it to you instead. That might work better. It might just be a problem with your computer not beign able to run these graphics. Does your screen support a 1024*768 resolution and can you run evolutions reflective water demo?

Plystire - ah. Didn't notice that bug. I'm going to create a tutorial now to help new players. I want to make it so you right click on the building icons and it gives infomation about it and tips. Radio stations are not much use in a small town or village because they improve all buildings efficentcy by a small ammount. In a large city they are really good. If you go into dept you can click on your money to bring open the tax and loan window. You can then raise the taxes - less happiness, or take out a loan. Try that if you get into dept. Your city looks cool.

Greenlig - thanks for your support
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 11:30 Edited at: 17th Jun 2008 11:31
Thanks for the tip. I eventually was able to build my new city. Bigger, badder, better.

Attached is a pic of "PlyVille" version 2, lol. Hope you like it!

I wasn't aware of the radio tower's use, so in this city there isn't one... yet I was still able to make it rather big. Perhaps a radio tower would make this town even better and have a better chance of growing.

Also, I realised that you can build things on top of each other. (Makes those Solarpower plants much easier to put down in abundance, lol)

Perhaps in your next version you can also have different map sizes, too. I'd like to have more room to flourish, you know?

The one and only,

Attachments

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 11:48
Wow, Radio Stations really make a huge difference.

After placing some around the city, I came to a realization that this map is now too small, and I'm making more money than I know what to do with.

[see attached pic for final city]

The one and only,

Attachments

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 11:56
And here's a view overlooking the Gulf of Ply... and on your left you'll see the secret to PlyVille's success.

It's official, you got my attention for longer than an hour. This is a great game you got going here.

The one and only,

Attachments

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 12:03 Edited at: 17th Jun 2008 12:05
BUG REPORT!!!

After I was finished with my city... shown above... which looks really cool... okay I'm done with that, lol. ANYWAY!!! After I was done, I saved the city, then returned to the menu and loaded the game immediately (Didn't close down the game).

Here's what I found:

- Offices, Manufacturing buildings, Solar Plants, Nuclear Plants, and Coal Plants couldn't be seen (But were still functioning as far as I could tell)
- High Rises turned into little "bunkers"... yeah... that's the best I can explain it. Well, just look at the screeny and see for yourself.

Also, upon closing down the app and reloading it, my save game was no longer listed in the load game list. Although, it's data is still stored in the proper folder.

The one and only,

Attachments

Lord Einstein
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 13:00
HA. that is quite a bug. It seems I forgot to update the loading scripts when adding the new buildings. The little bunker things are the subway model and I know what was causing that bug. I will release these updates with the next version I release. Can you explain more about how your saved game was not listed. Did you remember to save it?

I'm going to try and add soem more buildings, a choice of the map size and a collision system as well as a sort of help/tutorial thing. I'll relase all of this in the next version. Keep finding bugs, I compltly missed those two.
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 13:37 Edited at: 17th Jun 2008 17:02
Ah, sorry to worry you - it works now. I think my net connection was just a little iffy yesterday or something. Can't play now because I have to research Chaucer but I'm eagerly anticipating it!

EDIT: Okay, I've had a little building fun. I think adding the new buildings adds a new dimension to it: do you risk losing big-time by going in with skyscrapers and coal power plants, or do you go slowly and start with farms and wind-power?
However, with so many buildings to choose from, a kind of "This building will give you 20 energy but will cost $2 in upkeep" pop-up would be helpful. Also, the factories, coal plants and nuclear plants all look a little similar what with those cooling towers. Might I suggest tinting the inside of the coal towers red and the inside of the nuclear towers green? That way you can instantly recognise which is which.
I also found that the camera moved even if I hadn't put my mouse to the edge of the screen. I think this is because you changed the resolution but didn't change the fact that the map moves when the mouse position is greater than 800 or 600.
I'd also like to know exactly what subways do, and whether there is any advantage or disadvantage to building dirt roads instead of asphalt.
Overall, a very addicting and fun game! Keep working on it, I'm sure this will be even better when it's finished.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 17:52
Btw, I had the same problem with the save game, but I assumed it was a bug you knew about. Shouldn't be much work to correct it though.

Greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:27:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:27:28