Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Daibotron

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2008 19:10 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 17:43
Right, so this is a game with similar type gameplay as Robotron but controlled by a webcam. Fairly straightforward. Possible future plans include online scores, voice recognition (weapons change), top down rotatable 3D Gauntlet type maps, and multiplayer options.

So see what you think and give me some comments and ideas! Ta. Oh yeah, and it works by finding unique colours, so have two different unique colours in both hands and it works pretty well. I find marker pens (see screenshot) pretty good.

Here is a demo:-
http://www.eyetapps.com/daibotron/daibotron.exe This is v.0.2.0. Just put exe in a directory and run it. Thats it. Note to quit use escape key rather than the usual "X" button as this is currently disabled. If it fails to run just try it again, or run a webcam app (Skype) to view the image, close, then run Daibotron again.

Version history:-
v0.0.1 - 10Apr08 - Initial setup of things to kick off
v0.0.2 - 17Jun08 - Getting the program to not hardcode paths
v0.0.3 - 18Jun08 - Only checking the camera every now and again to speed things up
v0.0.4 - 18Jun08 - Camera settings on config screen (video format and compression dialogs)
v0.0.5 - 19Jun08 - Option menu
v0.0.6 - 20Jun08 - Change of look
v0.1.0 - 21Jun08 - Simple enemies
v0.1.1 - 22Jun08 - plasma background
v0.1.2 - 23Jun08 - Fix for version number
v0.1.3 - 23Jun08 - Use D3D for text
v0.1.4 - 23Jun08 - Shooting enemies (red laser)
v0.1.5 - 09Jul08 - Death for player (shield)
v0.1.6 - 10Jul08 - Killable enemies (red laser explosion)
v0.1.7 - 10Jul08 - score
v0.1.8 - 10Jul08 - Spawning enemies
v0.1.9 - 17Jul08 - Online hi-score charts
v0.2.0 - 17Jul08 - Sound effects

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l187/Crivens999/Daibotron/v0-0-1/config.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l187/Crivens999/Daibotron/v0-1-1/options.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l187/Crivens999/Daibotron/v0-1-1/play.jpg

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice!

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2008 21:05
Sounds awesome, but doesn't work for me.

Game starts up but is just a black window which I have to force quit.

Using an intel iMac(They have a built in webcam) and running XP.
I know the camera works with XP because I've used it before.

Hope to see it working, I love these sort of games ^^.

This is a random sentence about squirrels.
DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2008 21:09
Very slow but very cool. BTW my webcam is just slow so it might not be the program.

I'm Pro grammer.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 01:53
Quote: "BTW my webcam is just slow so it might not be the program"
Yeah, thats the one problem. One machine of mine runs pretty quickly (unfortuantly being shipped back to the UK now) but another one with a cheap webcam runs pretty badly. Because of the different specs of webcams it makes it difficult to run well for everything. When I do the fine tuning screen I'm thinking an option to check less often might be in order. Would speed up slower cams but obviously would reduce accuracy. Will chuck all options in so people can muck around to get the best setup for them.

Quote: "Game starts up but is just a black window which I have to force quit"
I've noticed that a couple of times on mine. Try starting up a webcam app to get an image then quiting and then running Daibotron. Sometimes needs a kickstart for some reason. Also could be loading in driver software so wait a few secs. Finally it could be the windows location I talked about. Is your windows on C:? It has a check for if a webcam is not plugged in, but I'm betting system files not where it expects them causes major cock ups. If I can't get the system directory from inside DBP then I will just ini file it.

Cheers

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 04:38
Looks like an interesting and impressive project, but i don't have a webcam.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 12:27
Quote: "Looks like an interesting and impressive project"
Ta. I think overall I'll keep at it. First to put some tweeks in to the control method and the way it uses the DLL, then to add a fine tuning option, and finally to add enemies and the like. After that if people are still interested I'll consider making it like I finally envisioned it. Basically some levels like Robotron, and others with top down 3D mazes that work like Gauntlet did (hopefully with rotation of the maze with some sort of hand gesture). Oh and possible simple voice recognition too. Would be sweet to be able to change weapons using your voice for instance. By using both hands currently to move and shoot it sort of limits the options for doing anything else (unless the object in your hand is a mouse or other type of input device of course).

Cheers

ozmoz
Years of Service
User Offline
nice job
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 10:49
Right, updated to v0.1.1. Main things are a new settings option (from the 1st webcam setup screen). Will speed up quite a bit to select the lowest size your webcam can handle. Mine shows the size per frame, so you get an idea how quick it will be in comparison. Obviously smaller is faster but also less precise. Is a bit of a balance sometimes.

I also have added a new options menu which allows you to tweek how the thing works. Best one is the colour match scrollbar that allows you to set how sensitive the webcam is. It can try to find the exact colour, but this is not always possible, so changing this can make it less fussy. Although if there is similar colours in the room then can get confused. Really makes you think what to wear...

Also added a few enemies. You can't kill them and they can't you, and at the minute just sort of go after you. Thats about it. Oh, and also added a nice plasma background. Can't remember who originally posted that code, but thanks to you all the same (much like the person who posted the original webcam code that Daibotron is based on - Ta!!!).

Cheers

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 17:46
Ok, so new version 0.2.0 is out. Use the link on the first post. It is now an exe rather than a zip, but just plonk it into a folder and run it. Thats about it.

Now can shoot things, they can shoot you, online high score chart, and sound effects. I'm probably going to freeze it for a bit as I have a few other interesting projects I want to do before coming back to this. Plus my life is getting well hectic now.

Now off for a beer!

Cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:28:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:28:32