Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Who else studies Martial Arts...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 00:50
Karate is more the arms, they learn kicks but mostly arm work ... and Judo - i never really saw that as anything more than a pure defensive art. To much rolling around on the floor and hip tossing, if i wanted that i'd become a wrestler (teehee)

CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 02:54
Karate- generally 50% upper body, 40% lower, 10% grappling (the standing kind)

Judo- 100% grappling (standing and ground)

Tae Kwon Do - 70% kicks, 30% upper body blows

Muay Thai - 45%/45% on punches and kicks. The remaining 10% is the clinch grappling stuff they do.

Kung Fu - varies greatly from style to style. Northern styles (ie Shaolin) seem to exhibit much more kicks than the Southern styles (ie Hung Gar, Wing Chun).

Capeoria - 100% kicks and wierdo acrobatic footwork with handstands.

Brazilian Juijutsu- 100% grappling. The ground kind.

Akido- 100% grappling - the wrist flex/standing kind.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. There are so many sub-styles that I could easily get pinned with counterdictions.

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 03:59
Jedi - 90% Force (telekinetic, lightning, etc), 8% Lightsaber, 2% sucker punch/kick

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 04:27
@Raven

You underestimate Judo I think. Sure it is defensive, but I was able to pull down a guy over half a foot taller than me in training a few years back, and I won the event (when the lill guys go down, they just get back up). Still, its a great introduction to the world of martial arts, and an excellent platform for moving onto more aggressive forms.

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 04:28
i bet nobody here tried Silat

CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 04:49 Edited at: 14th Jul 2003 04:51
Cool, Silat! Yes, that Indonesian art is so underestimated and hardly talked about.

So......
Tell me about it.

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 05:05 Edited at: 14th Jul 2003 05:07
From I've tried of the modern silat, its more of disabling your opponents using speed, not hitting or knocking ppl off, unlike the old style. Its not like wrestling, its more like trapping your opponents into submission without too much body contacts, just simple twisting limbs to dislocate those joints and snap those veins

Moreover, Indonesia seems to continue the practice the old style silat of aggressive, fast moving disabling opponents; while Malaysia's style develop/adapt into patience, disabling opponents that 'starts first'. Either way, they both combined one another to balance the situation.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 10:11
Rob i'm not saying it isn't a good starting place, but it is hardly an agressive form... the only time you can use it really is to defend yourself.

look at it, if you sweep the legs all your doing is imobilising the person - it would take alot of skill and dedicated training to learn howto use the grapples in an effective offensive capability, particularly without killing your opponent because Judo has strick rules that you must not hurt.

i mean have you ever seen the move where someone comes at you, and you grab thier shoulders place your foot just below thier gut (where thier bladder should be) then using thier momentum fall into a roll then just when you back hits the floor you push gentle (but wiht enough force) to throw your opponent over ... your suppose to push with the momentum as it makes it simler without as much strength.
problem with that move is you can kill someone if you do it wrong, ripp open an internal organ and they hemerage to death

the arts i've trained in are quite balanced in nature, its something learning about all of this ... not just the phsyical side but the mental side has taught me

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 11:07 Edited at: 14th Jul 2003 11:08
Ok, quick histroy lesson (You sure your sensis were qualified, they meant to teach you histroy, at some level).

Ju-Jitsu was original martial art par-se. The Kendo and other arts came later or were from different countries.

Jikishin Ju-Jitsu was originally practiced by the Samuri in case they were de-mouted in battle. It was also the Royal Martial Art as all the Chinese (Or japanes, i connot remeber) royalty learnt it and became masters in it.

It was later that a western born chines (or japanes ) guy went over to China or Japan and first thought of Judo as a Pasive sport that would be more suited to the western world.

From Ju-jitsu came the Modern Ju-Jitsu, Judo. Then came Karate of which i believe is a wast of time as it is undiciplined and promotes violence. And above all makes little kids think they are the next bruce lee. But then again i am a bit bias as group of karate newbis thought they were the best and tried to mug me after their training. They left with quite a few bruses.

The first thing a newcommer learns in Ju-Jitsu is the rules of the use of Ju-Jitsu. You are only allowed to participate in aggressive stuff if you are deemed to be mature enough. From what i have seen Karate is agrresive with shouting an all from the offset, And most of the people soing Karate that i have seen are much more concentrated on their screaming with every punch than the technique.

Well thats my 2pence

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 12:12
@ Rob K. Judo is OK, but if you want a all rounder Ju-Jitsu is the best. I mean, if you want to do grappling, you can. There are loads of Kata work you can do, Weapons, and Sparing as well as Random Attacks (I was 4th Best in the world, damn i missed out on that one)

I have never done judo, may do one day, i dunno

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 18:36
Martyn, how much Chinese history is tied with the Japanese history of martial arts? All I know is that the Chinese began practicing martial arts many centuries before the Japanese did. That's right, kung fu has been around longer than Ninjutsu/Karate/Juijutsu/Judo. As a matter a fact, of all the Japanese arts Judo is by far the youngest, while Chinese five-animal boxing has been around for over 1000 years.

However, there is quite a difference between Chinese and Japanese arts. The Chinese stressed fluidity and power withing a flowing balance of movement. The Japanese, on the other hand, stressed hardness and very sharp, stopping-and-continuing movements. I think this points to the fact that the Japanese probably invented their martial arts themselves with little enlightenment from Chinese imports. However, I am not qualified to teach the history of martial arts, so if anyone could expand...

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 18:53
Quote: "of all the Japanese arts Judo is by far the youngest"

And here is a quote from on of my martail arts books (Collectable ones):

Quote: "Judo, forty-one Lessions in the modern science of Jiu-Jitsu."

The Jiu and Ju are interchangable depending on the translation. In a sense Judo actually means Jui-Jitse.

Ju-Jitsu is a Japanes art that pre-dates Judo.

As for Karate i cannot at the moment find the book where i read about its history. I will keep looking.

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 19:01
I found the link to Ju-Jitsu from karate

Quote: "While most Japanese styles of Karate appear to have descended from the Chinese art of Ch'uan-fa, Goshindo Kempo Karate owes its development to some of the Jiu Jitsu schools that flourished in the days of the Samurai."

This is a bit pre-dated as in 40+ years old. Most old styles have now gone. Although there are still some places that practice them. Quite a lot of the modern karates (like the one above) have roots in Ju-Jitsu.

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 19:11 Edited at: 14th Jul 2003 19:12
Oh and:

Quote: "As a matter a fact, of all the Japanese arts Judo is by far the youngest, while Chinese five-animal boxing has been around for over 1000 years."

I know for a fact (I love my books) that ju-jitsu has been around for over 2000 years. So i would expect the chines ones to be around a bit longer, although both chines and japanees arts would have started within 1000 years of each oher.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 19:18
‘å‚«‚È—Í‚Å‚Í?A?d‘å‚È?M—Š‚ª‚ ‚è‚Ü‚·?B(turn on your jap disp mode)
its a common term in Ju-Jitsu ... means with "Great power comes great responsibility"

its a very honourable of the martial arts though, cause it takes great trust from your sensei to teach you the more complex things.
i still wanna learn the 3" punch, been practising it and i've got it down well but not well enough

CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 19:40
I saw a demo-video of a Wing Chun expert performing the 3 and 1 inch punches. He had a person holding a chest protector; standing behind a set of chairs.

The Wing Chun expert would first make contact, draw away the appropriate # of inches and then thrust forward. The sorry dude he punched flew backwards into the set of chairs.
I though that was almost as cool as the TKD master's 540 spinning hook kick through 3 one inch boards.

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 20:45
yup its one crazy powerful techniqué hats for sure
if you do it right you can actually fragment bone (and i've seen it done).

you have to be so careful if you know alot of the more experienced techniqués because it is just so easi to hurt people without realising it. thats probably why people prefer to spar with me, because i have some pretty good control over my moves capable of performing them to a hairbreth touch - Feena can too, so we have some pretty interesting matchs ... because you can use that quite strategically when you fight.

you come in like your really putting some weight behind something so they brace for it ... slip the weight and counterbalance the attack - can get some good hits off that way
they end up looking pretty fanciful, but it isn't by intent - its just a matter of trying to shift the weight around so you don't fall on your ass

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 21:27
here is me:

here is solidz:

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 21:37
lmao!

actually, if u check back all my posts, i'm more of this:

CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2003 02:35
@ Raven.

Control is a very important asset to an advanced martial artist. I must admit that I'm not a blackbelt, yet, but I am a rabid sparring freak (long-muscular legs make great weapons). However, control seems to come extremely slow for me. There was one time I spin-kicked a shorter blackbelt in the head (foolishly thought it was just a nicker) and he had to sit down for a few minutes because of the dizziness. It was a good thing it was a small open gym (and he was wearing headgear), else my instructor would have saw it and given me alot of pushups to work on.
Out of frustration one day, I left my brain in the dryer and began doing rapid kicks to one of my schools metal poles. I ended up with a nice bruise on my instep - a testement to my sad situation. It was then I realized exactly why I'm not a blackbelt yet.

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2003 02:42
if the Force was not created, Obi-Wan would've said "use your brain Luke!" lmao!

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2003 06:04 Edited at: 15th Jul 2003 06:05
<-- mattman after a poin in the groin from Solidz.
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2003 06:48
Solidz = gonna get some boing boing tonite

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2003 10:35
@CrayZemon

I was down to pass my sho-dan with honours, but left casue my partner was much like you, although he could not control his strengh and his style was all over the place. I got bruses from touch sparing, can you imagin proper sparing?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 04:42:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 04:42:21