Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / zEngine2 - Walk Physics

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 03:20
run as admin looks like it unpacked all the files in the directory, but it still crashes with a debug error. No text or anything, just the option to debug (which doesn't do anything).

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 09:05 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 09:06
Hmm.. Well I don't know what could be wrong and I don't have Vista so I can't reproduce the bug. (If this is Vista related at all).

I've been working some more on the editor now. Finally got windows (that use zdepth) working, the treelist gadget (allthough the hard part was to get the slider working. After a whole night you are now able to click on the arrow buttons, scroll the mouse wheel or click and drag the slider, yay ).

So much to do. :/

I allways afraided from a clowns. aww..

Attachments

Login to view attachments
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 10:37
Interesting. But one thing. Why have a sword? I think the dagger in the third installment was a better idea than running around with a big sword in your hand. It's quite clumsy.

The editor looks great! Keep it up!

- Elias, Damezean, Nackidno, Wonderboy

AntocGames - http://antocgames.se.nu/
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2008 19:05
Is this still being worked on?

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2008 19:14
I think so. This is getting really nice!

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 12:13
Yes, still working on this. The reason why I haven't posted is because we don't have internet at home (just moved).

Anyway, a short summary of what I've added is this:

* climb ropes (might need to rewrite this part though, it's too buggy)
* Swim (need to write better water buoyancy. Also can not swim up/down yet)
* Water shader (refraction)
* Footstep sound (based on map object. Not on dynamic objects as of yet (need to setup a custom UDT and array library for entities (such as weapons, crates etc. etc.)))
* Light visibility (depending on light sources, you are visible in light, partly visible in weak lights and hidden in shadows)
* Some bug fixes (for example, now it isn't possible to get stuck in mid air)

When I get internet at home I will write a full report and upload three videos as well as a demonstration module of the player movement module (which is finished, except from a few bugs and the rope module which has to be rewritten).

BUhBYE!!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2008 23:25 Edited at: 14th Aug 2008 23:26
Won't run. Needs some kind of dll or something or failed to load the dll...can't remember which.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 01:00
Ok. It would help if you knew what the name of the dll is.

Anyway. I couldn't bother writing a "full report" so this will do.
There is no new demo out. Too many bugs that needs to be fixed.

Player Movement Movies:
Features Walkthrough [wmv] 8.44mb
Light Visibility & Footstep Sound [wmv] 1.79mb

Progress:

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 01:53
Wow wow wow! That's really cool!

So the rope is alot of boxes jointed together to make a chainlike effect? It looked like it though.

About the water visibility part. Is there possible to make it so that it's harder to see you depending on how deep into the water you are? Like if you are in the bottom of a pool, you are more hidden than swimming right under the surface?

I wonder, will you release this after the game is done? This is very impressive and I would love to give it a shot!

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 17:23
Yea, the rope is built up of several boxes. This was the best method to choose for me because 1: in the editor, it is easy to have a slider decide how long the rope will be. length is nr of boxes. and 2: in order to simulate weight I need to find a point on the rope where the player has his hands. when that opint is found i add some downwards velocity to that object/point.

At the moment you are 20% more hidden if you swim under water.

My original plan was to write an awesome game engine and release it as open source once the game I intended to write the game engine for was done.

But then I started thinking about stuff.. Like all the hours I would need to spend helping others how to use the engine and other stuff like that. Write a "how to" document and stuff. Tutorials and etc.. Ehh.. that's just not me.

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 22:19
That's quite clever.

So you are not going to release it then? =/

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 23:44 Edited at: 17th Aug 2008 23:48
We'll have to see what I decide at a later point in time. Right now the only thing I am interested in is if I can pull everything off.
The Player Movement module is/was probably the easiest thing to code in the engine.

After I fix all the bugs in the player movement module a new demo will be out, and I can start working on Player Interaction Module.
That module will handle doors, buttons, elevators, lights, pick stuff up, and much more. In order to start this module I need the Player Inventory Module done as well (lucky for me RedFlames is working on that, and he's doing a damn fine job at it).

A table of progress can be viewed here: (note that this list is not final. I will add more stuff here when I get more into the particular module and when I get new ideas.)

Attachments

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 23:59
Ok, I was a bit to forward there I think *haha. My bad.

Awaiting the next update and the demo. Keep it up!

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 23:20
There's an annoying bug that makes the game unplayable on 60fps or lower.
It's because I use Dark Physics built in timer based movement cmomand.

The help files say:
Quote: "When using this command your program will produce the same results whether it is running at 30 fps or 130 fps."

Which is totally wrong. The fact is that it performs excellent at 100fps+ and inaccurate at <60fps.

Also because I suck at water physics I am unable to figure out how to write better water buoyancy. Either I get the player to automatically float to the surface or sink like a stone to the bottom. Either way, it will not stay put in one position on the y plane. Gravity or not, the problem persist.

GAME OVER. (not really)

cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 01:52 Edited at: 19th Aug 2008 19:41
The players movement looks real in the video.
well done and keep it up

Quote: "The help files say:

Quote: "When using this command your program will produce the same results whether it is running at 30 fps or 130 fps."
Which is totally wrong. The fact is that it performs excellent at 100fps+ and inaccurate at <60fps."

I notice that too but I think I've found a way around it.
try this:

note: I have not try this code myself.
hope this helps
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 03:48
The above code is what I use (or something like it, anyways) although I found while doing a physics demo that it takes a bit more work. If you start lagging because of the physics, you'll enter what I think the help manual refers to as a well of despair - the physics engine needs to compensate for lost time and at the same time takes longer, and it keeps going and going....resulting in really poor performance. Also, make sure you cap the timer if you want to keep things from falling through the floor when you load in a new object or something.

djchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 03:52
the latest demo does not work, when you click "Player module" it opens up the nvidia drivers page and exits

Your mod has been erased by a signature
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 11:06
Thanks for the feedback! I'll see if any of this helps.

djchaos,
Do you have the latest version of PhysX Drivers? They are downloadable from nVidia's homepage. I think the reason why it opens up the drivers page from nVidia is because you don't have those physx runtime drivers. But I could be wrong.

In the next update, I'll see if I can include these drivers, as it seems people who don't have Dark Physics, doesn't have PhysX drivers either.

Expect a download to be at around 20megs. (not only does the drivers take some space, but there is so much media in the engine now).

Master Xilo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 23:22
FPS: 60 all the way through*
The average FPS should be taken from the last 10 secs and has some kind of bug (always stays at 50).
*just at the beginning, I only have 40+ fps for some seconds...

The ladder climbing sound sounds weird and I hope you're going to give the player a body (but we're talking about the engine, not the media...)

It's very well done!

Benji
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 03:35
It says "MFC71.dll not found" when I try to run it.

My signature is empty.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 06:56
That was an issue I had with some of my old DBP projects when I switched over to vista. The obvious solution is to get the DLL, but since not everyone evidently has it, I figured I'd put it in the game directory so I can include it if neccassary. Funny thing is, I found that if I compile with Synergy, it isn't a problem...

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 22:44
Quote: "Funny thing is, I found that if I compile with Synergy, it isn't a problem..."

Thats impossible as Synergy still uses the DBPro compiler, its just the IDE...

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 20:15 Edited at: 9th Sep 2008 03:05
Hey all.
I've been unemployed since May this year. So because I now have very little money left I started actively searching for a job since around middle of August. I decided not to be distracted by dbpro and other hobbies. What this means is that I haven't done any work what so ever on this engine.

But because I now got a job (at Vetco Gray, in case you've heard of it) and start working again on the 15th of Sept. I will be able to program again without a bad feeling in my stomach .

Master Xilo,
Because you have 60 fps I am excited to hear how you were able to climb the rope and swim in the water! (But maybe that isn't implemented in v1.0.4).
On my computer when I run at 60fps (usign vSync) the physics is messed up. I can't climb the rope because it's tossed about and I can't swim in the water: I get stuck.

As you mentioned, I am only working on the engine right now. Media will come at a later point. But I have played with the idea of using a model for the player. This way I won't have to code each and every camera movement for walking, jumping and etc.
But because I can't model or animate I dropped this idea and will probably add it at a later time.

Benji,
Attached is the dll you need.
Put it in your windows/system (or maybe it was system32) folder or the game directory.

(edit: sig test3 (lol, pretty.)
edit4: wonder if I can make a dynamic sig..
(edit: testing dynamic sig)
(edit: yay it worked)

Attachments

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 03:25
Quote: "Thats impossible as Synergy still uses the DBPro compiler, its just the IDE..."

Maybe it's a setting it passes to the compiler. The fact is, it's not impossible evidently, because that's how it works for me. What exactly causes it is the question.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 04:25 Edited at: 11th Sep 2008 04:25
Good luck Lukas. If only you could finish all of the great projects you have started, we could live our lives darkbasically satisfied.

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 00:08
I really want to make this game so I'll do my best!

yorker
Years of Service
User Offline
hi lucas loved the engine... the walk physcs are really nice... keep the good work..
btw how you protected the data of your game i mean you have packed it into some files is there any plugin for it or you coded it yourself?
regards

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:22:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:22:33