Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Thinking about buying DarkBasic : Have some Questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been learning C++ recently and it's been a good fit for me and how I think (object oriented programming works well with my mindset). However, graphics, sound and such seems somewhat on the overwhelming side to me at the moment, not the least reason which is that I have a full time job and so I don't have the time to spend learning all I should know.

I've looked at DarkBasic in the past, even downloaded a demo version awhile back and fiddled with it. So I have some basic questions here:

1. Is it possible to sell games created with DarkBasic Pro (my first question was going to be Dark Basic Pro or Dark Basic? but I read other threads and answered that question for myself). This isn't a necessity for me, but if not, or if it requires purchasing an expensive license or something I might wait awhile to see if I really want to pick this up.

2. Does DarkBasic support OOP programming? I assume at least it has functions/procedures.

3. I'm interested in some of the 'add-ons'. Specifically the Cartography Shop and 3D Canvas Pro. I saw some people suggest Milkshape over the latter. Opinions on these two would be welcome. Remember, I'm looking primarily for ease of use at the moment, but something that also can do great graphics.

Thanks in advance!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 22:21
Quote: "1. Is it possible to sell games created with DarkBasic Pro (my first question was going to be Dark Basic Pro or Dark Basic? but I read other threads and answered that question for myself). This isn't a necessity for me, but if not, or if it requires purchasing an expensive license or something I might wait awhile to see if I really want to pick this up."

Anything made in darkbasic/darkbasicpro is royalty free!But if you use something like 3ds Max too make your 3D models, then you pay royalties to them.Darkbasic/darkbasic pro are royalty free, and your entire game can be royalty free if you use royalty free applications, heck create your own applications in db/dbp.

Quote: "2. Does DarkBasic support OOP programming? I assume at least it has functions/procedures"

Your assumption is correct, well I think.I dunno what OOP programming is though?

Quote: "3. I'm interested in some of the 'add-ons'. Specifically the Cartography Shop and 3D Canvas Pro. I saw some people suggest Milkshape over the latter. Opinions on these two would be welcome. Remember, I'm looking primarily for ease of use at the moment, but something that also can do great graphics."

Well since cartshop3 hasn't been released yet, I can't recommend it too you yet.Milkshape is a very good 3D modeling program that's easy to use, yet if you put enough time into it, you'll get great(i mean great) results.

I don't think I've anwsered Question 2, really well, so hopefully someone else posts.

gambler welcome to the forums.

Yellow:Wanna publish my game microsoft, cuz i no u rich so...Can I have my bag of money now?
Microsoft: *snicker* Tip of the month-Microsoft will never(probebly) publish your game.
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 22:23 Edited at: 12th Jul 2003 00:16
you can make whatever you like in DB and you don`t have to even flash a "made in db" logo up when you run the game (unlike the demo...that forces one on you), you can make what you like and sell it as you please (as long as you dont sell any of the db compiler or key components...for example writing a compiler that compiled to db and includeing the db compiler with it to compile your source), in the words of FastTrack themselves (the makers)

FEATURES
Multiplayer (Lan and Internet)
Fully XP compliant
Online help
Showcase examples
Tutorials
No royalties or licenses<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Darkbasic is based on BASIC, famous for NOT having anything to do with OOP, BASIC predates the OOP concept by years, and even some of the major researchers have called OOP a "fashion" , the latest trend is for ways to make monolithic self modifying code with "helper" compilers that hide the complexity.
so in a way BASIC is ahead of the concepts pack, though I must admit I am biased, I have used BASIC since about 1974 and never saw the reason for any other language (apart from speed), C/C++ give me headaches when you sink into pointer frenzy, and why bother with HTML even?, if webpages where written in BASIC there would have been no need to create Java or any of the innumerable languages and dialects we have today.
but to answer the question, BASIC now has some limited OOP features, it`s more a matter of discipline and how well you write your code, some very large programs have been written in DB, so it realy does depend on how well you can handle the structure of a large project, DB has functions, user defined types and global/local variables, so you can include code from other files as functions and create librarys and even write your own functions (as a dll).

from experience (under win98) 3D Canvas eats all your resources and leaves you with nothing to open other apps in, as of last week you could download the full (old version) AMAPI modeler and the password for free off the net (off their site, legitimatley...NOT warez), so you might want to look at that since it will cost you nothing and it exports 3DS (to be put back into Pro), MilkShape seems ok, but I wasn`t into modeling that much when I had it installed and the demo ran out, so my experience is limited in MilkShape, we also have several home grown matrix/level editors for x models (or you could make your own) and you can use the free zoners tools to compile bsp maps if you make your levels as bsp and bsp level editors are ten a penny, hope thats some help, cheers.

Mentor.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 22:51
If you are a C++ programmer, you won't have too much trouble creating a DLL ... and if you can do that, then you're there!

You can use my C++ to DBPro interface library from my site, giving you the best of both worlds - Code in C++, access the DBPro engine!

Oh yes, and the interface library is also royalty free
gambler
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the responses... I'm still debating if I want to take the plunge, but it's likely I'll do so. I wouldn't say I'm a C++ programmer per se.. I'm a dabbler. However, I really like the OOP concept, and not sure I'd call OOP a 'fashion', but then I'm nothing resembling an expert in the software industry.

yellow, OOP = Object Oriented Programming. The basic concept is that instead of having 'procedural' (using functions and procedures, or.. if DarkBasic doesn't have them, gosubs and gotos) type formatting you create 'objects' based on 'classes'. I'm not sure how you declare variables in DarkBasic, or even if you have to say what type the variable is when you declare it, but for example in C++, to use a 'classic' example of how to do things differently (placed in the "Code" section)... Treat as a sidebar.

Note that in spite of the length I took to describe OOP, that I'm a firm believer that different kinds of programs require different kinds of approaches. Some will be best done procedurally, some OOP, etc. DarkBasic intrigues me because things like graphics and music that seem rather complex in a Windowing environment seem much easier in DarkBasic. Therefore, for a game concept I have which has a fair bit of graphical content, DarkBasic is at least good to come up with a prototype concept.

heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
I look at DarkBASIC as a very high level scripting language.

If you need more specialized functions than what is offered then you call your C++ DLLs.

OOP is a high level design methodology. When need specific implementations you still require procedural functions in the classes. When you get right down to it, all that you are doing when programming any digital computer is flipping mass quantities of binary switches.

The more you see, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you see.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 15:44:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 15:44:52