Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I Have A Question, about Carpal Tonal

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 01:07
Can carpal tonal be healed, and if so how, and will I get it just from spending 1-2 hours a day on the computer??
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 01:09
You can get it from just a couple hours a day. It cant be healed in most cases, mine cant. But proper posture, and using ergonimc keyboard and mice help alot.
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 01:09
Btw. My wife had surgery to help hers, but in the end it came back.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 01:28
http://www.orthohelp.com/exercts.htm

I use these to help prevent getting it.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 02:33
You only spend 1-2 hours a day??? If that much can give you carpal tunnel, then I already have it! I spent about 7 hours a day (really) when I first got DB, but I go on less now; like 3-5 hours (I have no life lol ).

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 02:52
Out of interest (as I am from the age of eyesight worry rather than bones) is it something everyone gets, or is it like Athritis?
Mainly because I have used 'puters for 20 years now and haven't a single problem like this. Hell, I still even have 20-20 vision. And I've pretty much used a computer probably an average of an 3-4 hours a day for those 20 years. The last eight years has been intensive 7.5 hours (not inc. overtime) a day doing work programming too. With a few hours most nights either surfing or programming. Thats a lot of keyboard time. And the last four years I haven't even used a wrist rest (get in the way too much). And apart from a screen glare I'm as ergonomic as a cheesecake. erm...

Anyhows, what I'm trying to say is basically if you are prone to this sort of thing then you will probably get it one way or another. My sister got arthritis when she was 10, for example, and a keyboard hurts her if she uses it for more than 10 minutes at a time. Myself, I can do 10 hour shifts, constantly programming, with no real problems apart from the occassional eye ache, and the odd ciggy break.

Although I would say that 1-2 hours a day is nothing really.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Arch
Years of Service
User Offline
Computers really cant give you it as bad as playing video games or the something like it alot. But like falelorn said just have good posture and get a good chair and its good to have one of those things under your keyboard my dad has one. Btw my dad has been using the comp for about 20 years to and he doesnt have any problems , also hes in 40's. But whenever you can its good to take some weeks off(well i hope people do anyway :\).

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 04:12
I think it's one of those things thats best not to worry about and some people would even argue don't really exist.

The ammount of time some people can spend at a keyboard and not have any problems is a lot more than 1-2 hours a day. Think 8+ hours every working day for the last 20 years.

Then there are the millions of assembly workers who do extreamly repetative operations for years with no problems.

I would guess the problem is only made worse from keyboard use and there are other important contibuting factors at work.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 04:14
i'm at a pc, or a keyboard (lightboard and soundboard at the auditorioum runs off a pc keyboard) more than 17 hours a day, i don't have corpel tonel yet...keyword yet. But if i were to get it, i'
ll tell you what its like....ow time to rest my wrists.

Opinions are like a$$holes, Everybody has one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 05:01:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 05:01:50