Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Downloaded Trail..NEED SOME HELP....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 03:49
Hi All!
My name is Megan, im 14,and i downlaoded the trial version of Dark Basic today and went though a couple of its little tutorial things and know only a very small amount of programming at the moment.
Anyways, i want to make some games, here are my ideas--
A shooting one- theres moving targets and you just shoot at them.
A Hockey game- theres 5 players on each team, they just little stick people and you pass and shoot the puck around.
a Maze like one- i dont know if any of you played Falling Up on a graphing calculator but its kinda like that.
Racing one- just a car and a road that curves and goes straight and stuff.
Ive wrote all my ideas down and drawn little sketches.
As you can tell im starting of with really really basic stuff. im wondering, what do i need to start, and how long will it take for me to write the program, will i need to know alot of programing info?
Also, where do i create the pics and images i will be using in my games?
Thanks in advance
Megan
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 03:54
I'm not sure.. I'm new to (note my name ) but it will take longer and longer depending on how detaiiled u want them. You create pics anywhere(i put them in project folder), you need ta load the pic in the code ( load image "lala.bmp", 1 or load image "C:\MyFolder\lala.bmp", 1 ect. I'm no help when it comes to actually makeing those, this advice is probably no help at all.... i'm jus borded so i typed this up

Halozane Future Owner.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 04:13
Welcome to the forums Megan!!

Quote: "Also, where do i create the pics and images i will be using in my
games?"

Well, you either make them in a 2d drawing program/3D modeling program, or there's places to get free models.(3dcafe, is a good place)
Quote: "im wondering, what do i need to start, and how long will it take for me to write the program"

What you need to start, hrmmmmmmm, well I'd say start off with some kinda 2D drawing application(paint shop pro, ms paint even)you can get a trial version of paint shop pro somewhere(jasc, i think) .Of course darkbasicpro(or was it just darkbasic) trial version, and finally if you're doing 3D a 3D modeling package.(milkshape,wings3d.)
milkshape does animation for 3D so I recommend you download a trial version of that.
Quote: "will i need to know alot of programing info?"

Well, you learn as you go along, and darkbasicpro was my first programming language, and it's not relly that hard.Just spend about an hour a day, and you'll have those games made in a matter of a week(well, maybe one of them, since you just started )

Please post any other info. you need.

note:Is this being made in 2D or 3D.(I'll give you some more recommendations if you inform me of this.

Yellow:Wanna publish my game microsoft, cuz i no u rich so...Can I have my bag of money now?
Microsoft: *snicker* Tip of the month-Microsoft will never(probebly) publish your game.
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 04:19
umm.. ignore me completly listen to that other guy

Halozane Future Owner.
Megan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 04:44
Yellow,
Thanks so much for the reply!
I guess im planning on doing it in 2d for now, which way would you recommend?
Do you have any links to a site where i can get free models or a site where i can download a program where i can create images and stuff for my games? Sorry, im really new to this.
Thanks!
Megan
P.S-do you have any source codes of programs or games you have made? (just wondering what other people have made)
AIM- Centerice19

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 05:16 Edited at: 12th Jul 2003 05:18
No prob Megan,

If I were you I'd do 3D, cause that's the way I started(and am continueing), and I'm doing pretty well.

Free model sites. http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/default.asp

Read this thread "NEWCOMERS READ THIS", or something, I put a link to all the dbp commands, and a couple tutorials for 3D games that might help you out a little.Just check them out, and you'll probebly learn enough to start making your games.Those tutorial sites will have all the source-code you'll need.Also that "NEWCOMERS READ THIS", will have a couple other resources on it that, I recommend taking a look at.

Post anytime, if you need some help.

Yellow:Wanna publish my game microsoft, cuz i no u rich so...Can I have my bag of money now?
Microsoft: *snicker* Tip of the month-Microsoft will never(probebly) publish your game.
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 11:36
if you downloaded DB classic then 2D may well be the better bet, ironicaly the sprites in classic have good collision detection while the sprites in Pro use plains and are more intended for HUD components and decals.
if you downloaded Pro then you might want to think about making your 2D games in 3D, this isn`t as silly as it sounds, you just don`t use the "Z" axis, and get everything to move on the x,y axis, Pro has much faster 3D collision than Classic so you can make something like the "shoot at targets" game easily.
your game choices are good for a first game, with somebody knowledgable to help you you could make the first of them in under a day, all it involves is some very simple chase logic and key control, you will find plenty of models out on the net you can use for your game, good luck.

Mentor.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 15:39:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 15:39:58