Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Tyrannt Online (The saga contines)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 00:05 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2008 00:14
I've been busy re-working Tyrannt and decided to make the project more interesting and to also learn new technologies, I would turn it into an Online game. To this end, there is a web server out there which is now hosting the server part of the game engine. (It is early stages at the moment, but gradually getting into place).

To begin with I'm aiming at making it a single player game which uses a sever to do all the game logic and the client to display the view to the player. This is being done using DarkDGK.net. (When it gets released), The first major step was to create the User management system. And then start building the admin components to try and create the different parts of a character to eventualy do the character generator for the player.

Also to help with the problems of keeping the client up to date with the server, I've implememted a self updater. Which is one of the reasons for posting here. It would be nice if I could people to test this. As well as registering users and logging on and off. When I see some users on the system, I'll update them to admin users so they can try the admins tools in the Admin console. People who have seen the older Tyrannt Toolkit may recognise the Race part of the system.

I'm working over this weekend to finish the item generator, then the Guild/Class Generator.

Once that is finished then the player character generator will be created.

The download for version 0.1.0 is here:

tyranntClient.zip

Extract this to a directory and run the TyranntFClient.exe

This should trigger an auto update to 0.1.1.

The client will only run from a directory and will never need to be installed or update any registry, so deleting the directory should delete the client completely.

It also uses HTTP to access the web services so should not need any special firewall treatment.

Let me know of any issues you have with it.

Oh, by the way you will need the .NET Framework 3.5 to use this.

Cheers,

Jas

[Edit] I forgot to mention, with inactivity, the server may go to sleep, so it may take a few seconds for it to wake up when you connect to it [/edit]

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 23:05
I've managed to get the item generator and the skill generator finished. An example pic:

If you download the zip shown above it will auto update to 0.1.2.

Anyone who has created an account will now have an admin status to try these tools out. I will adminise any other people who are willing to try it out.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 23:16
it will error you when you keep switching between tabs, something about an item already added.

SOTA Engine
Purchase
Source and Non Source versions available!
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 23:20
Thanks,

I think it's trying to download a list of items twice. I'll fix and update asap

Cheers,

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 23:39
Fixed. If you run again it should download the update.

Cheers,

Jas

----
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 23:58
Looks good, but more images would be nice

Programming Recorder: 3,0 months of dark basic
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 09:23
Quote: "Fixed. If you run again it should download the update.

Cheers,

Jas"

OK, good to hear

SOTA Engine
Purchase
Source and Non Source versions available!
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 14:51
For more history on this project you can see it at:

http://www.tyranntrpg.org

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 13:26
After spending many a night debugging code and pulling out hair. I've finally got the new downloader system working.

This version is slightly different.

Firstly, all the files are now uploaded to the server via an upload utility. As part of this process the file details get put into a database and the files themselves get stored in a directory on the server. From this point onwards, the files use an MD5 checksum to determine any changes. If it notices a change after a version increase then it will download these files.

The new client (tyranntClient.zip) is a minimal one which will trigger an update when the client is first run. This will download all the programs and media.

All I need to do now when the files have changed is run an upload utility which will detect any new files that need uploading to the server which makes my life a lot easier .

Let me know of any problems you may experience with the above client.

Back to working on generator stuff again now that this is out of the way.

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 21:21
Just to let people know, due to the testing I am about to do with class creation and all the database changes needed, I will be dropping the existing database which will mean all users will be deleted

This is going to happen sometime tonight.

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 12:01
Tyrannt Online has now gone open source, be gentle with the code

http://www.codeplex.com/tyranntonline

If you have any problems with trying to use it, you can log an issue on that site.

I'm actively working on the character generator for the client at the moment, the Admin stuff for this has been done.

----
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 14:06
Can you post any more screenshots? As I am not in the correct OS at the moment and I would like to see how good this game/generators/anything you've been working on looks

If someone says plz because it's shorter than please I say no because it's shorter than yes
Quote: "Chuck Norris drank gravy and fertilized his lawn with emo kids so it would cut itself"

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 21:25
I've finally checked in the latest version of the client and server, and you can now generate characters.

To show those who want to see what it's like currently, I'll show the different stages to creating a character. (Eventually this may be a full screen app, but for now it is in a windows form application)

When you launch the 0.1.7 client you will get the following splash screen:

While this is showing the client is having a chat with the server to make sure everything is OK to continue. If your client is out of date you will be asked to update to the latest version. If your client is up to date, then you will see the following logon screen:

If you do not already have an account then you can click the register button and fill in the following form:

Once you have either created your account or logged in to an existing account, you will see the following screen:

If you have already created characters, you can see them listed on the left. You can right click them and select delete from the menu to delete an existing character.

To create a new character, click the new character button at the top of the window and you will see this box:

Here you type in your characters name. It needs to be unique but for the moment can be almost anything. Once you have clicked Start and the name is OK, you will see the following window to select your race:

Once you have selected a Race from the drop down list, you will see the following (In this instance I selected Dwarf)

After this I chose Male and selected on of the character portraits:

Then I click next to select my guild:

For this character I selected the Fighters Guild which made me a "Cadet" in that guild. I then click next to finish my character:

On this screen I click Roll until I am happy with my stats, the Race modifications and the Minimum Class requirements are taken into account when you roll your stats. This screen also shows your starting items and skills you acquired from your class.

When I click finish, the character is added to my character list.

This is all that happens so far. I'll next start working on some more admin tools to create dungeons etc.

Please try this out and see If you can break the character generator, I'll fix things as I go along.

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 01:01
I've now started on the Dungeon Content creator.

It's written using DarkDGK.net to do the 3d stuff (Hence the logo in the screen) and the dungeon crawling will be done using that too.

Jas

----
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 10:06
Nice
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2008 15:04
Just a quick update, I've been busy with other stuff, but I've now managed to get the DGDK.net stuff working inside the windows form.

Attached is a small movie of it in action. When I get time I'll implement the Model and texture parts and then do the attached routines to show the object in context.

Jas

----

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2008 18:42
This looks sweet.
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2008 12:35 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2008 12:38
I've been slowly working on the new editor and it now supports adding textures to the objects. I just need to finish the server update code in the client then will move on to creating the maze block code.

A small movie (1.3mb) of the object editor in action with the textures is shown here:

http://www.tyranntrpg.org/files/dgnobj_texture.wmv

All the textures were created using Texture Maker 3 which is available from this site. They are seamless textures generated from photos or generated by the built in scripts within TM3.

Jas

p.s. Ignore the juddering in the video, it was recorded on my slow laptop so didn't get a great framerate in the recording.

----

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:31:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:31:54