Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / new to 3d...texturing question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe its a little early for me to go to 3d.2d project is still unfinished,but hey,i cant wait!
I already have a working code with loaded object,chase cam.Strange,it was easier for me than 2d...untill now: I have a object in 3ds,which loads and shows itself perfectly.What if i wanted to texture it?I have 3ds max,but all i can do with it is to make objects and manipulate them...err,thats all really,no knowledge about texturing,creating bones,animation(not to mention the rest).
Ive heard the texture has to be "UVW" mapped(O_O).How do i do that.I found it in the modifier list but dont know how the heck to use it.Dunno if this is a good place to post this,but can anyone give a link or a tutorial about that ?Is "uvw" stored in the 3ds file or is it a separate file?Thanks for reading this!I hope ill get rid of that "white sculpture" model soon...

books->movies->games
Windsept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 02:39
Here is a link to a page with lots of low poly 3D modeling tutorials and texturing tutorials.

Basically you want to make your model then unwrap it with some program. I use LithUnwrap. Then you take the image of the model unwrapped and paint the texture you want with Paint, Photoshop, or GIMP.

Hope this helps!!

Windsept
best seclub
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks!Whats unwrapping?You mean like turning the 3d file into 2d.Does it at least show each limb with different colour?It would be hard to understand which part is which for complicated objects like humans...

books->movies->games
Windsept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 14:47
Unwrapping is the process in taking the "skin" off of a model to allow you to paint on the texture that you want. Then in DBP all you have to do is load the model and then load the texture or "skin" and you are good to go.

Here is a link to a very good tutorial on Lithunwrap and hopefully it will help you understand texturing better.

Windsept
best seclub
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks again...time to learn...

books->movies->games
George_W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 12:13
You dont really need a second program to unwrap the model, you can easyly do this by going to the Modifier pannel and choosing 'umwrap UVW' from the list. There are quite a few tutorials out there that are very good. Look them up in http://www.Tutorializd.com/

(I know this was late but, if ya didnt know, now you know :p) look for the Dolphin one, its pretty good. see ya!

If you want something, You'll find a way; If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Education is a comitment.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 16:29:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 16:29:44