Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [STICKY] Dark Physics - Upgrade 270608

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 14:52
A new upgrade for Dark Physics is available. You can download it from your Order History. The link will show as "Download Update 1.05 for DB Pro".

Some of the changes made include:

* brought in line with the version for the competition http://physxcomp.thegamecreators.com/
* updated keywords file
* f1 help reference has been rebuilt
* corrected mistakes in command listings and also added information on some undocumented commands
* reference chm file has been rebuilt
* updated the information chm guide - include info on soft bodies and force fields
* all the competition demos with source have been included

This upgrade is currently only available for the DB Pro version of Dark Physics.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 14:53
To avoid any issues with fluids please ensure you upgrade to the latest version of DB Pro from here http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=upgrades
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 15:41
Well done mike,

now for moaning, on fluids like the blob of fluid demo what happen to the line that colored it, only just able to see it was going.

using DBPro 6.9
Nvidia drivers 08.06.12

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 15:56 Edited at: 27th Jun 2008 15:56
This is how the fluid is supposed to look:

Possible that some people will not get the correct results. Will have to look into it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 16:07 Edited at: 27th Jun 2008 19:17
this what it looks like for me, plus I have just upgrade the video drivers for my card that might be what doing it,I try going back to old ones and see if it ok.

edit

plus the container demo not like this command.

edit 2
FLUID EMITTER works now, but PHY SET FLUID EMITTER SHAPE ID, shape mode
I can only set elliptical shape, rectangular shape not working.
plus how do you position a fluid emitter.

Edit 3

bridge demo command unknow.

Attachments

Twisted Steel Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 17:02 Edited at: 28th Jun 2008 13:03
I see tiny little balls... they're just particles colliding now... they're too transparent to see much of anything...

Everything seems to be a slow piece of CRAP. Cats Really Appreciate Pettins. In all seriousness, DBP is being worthless this install for some reason... DarkPhysics might not be the cause... maybe update 6.9 is the issue... maybe it doesn't like Service Pack 3 (which is what I now have)... who knows...... I think the culprit is actually bad drivers from NVidia..., which never happened in the past, but you never know... so I'm going to find and delete EVERY trace of the drivers, then install the one that doesn't mention CUDA.

Could we have the option to have the old fluids back? They looked great.... very slow, but looked great.

Meh... The Speed doesn't make Comcast good...
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 18:54 Edited at: 27th Jun 2008 20:05
Deleted Post. I've posted my problem on the PhysX competition thread now.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 20:23
Mike do you have a list of commands have been dropped?

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 22:15
Dropped commands include:

PHY SET FLUID DEPTH SMOOTHING
PHY SET FLUID PARTICLE RADIUS
PHY SET FLUID SCREEN SPACING
PHY SET FLUID SILHOUETTE SMOOTHING
PHY SET FLUID THRESHOLD
PHY SET FLUID TRIANGLE WINDING

They all relate to the old fluid renderer which has been discontinued from PhysX version 2.7.3 and beyond. The new fluid renderer in DarkPHYSICS replaces it, and I personally think it is a hundred times better (real water instead of goo, now we can have splashes, waterfalls, hose pipes, drips, you name it).

"Small, smart and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom coders aren't extinct after all "
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 22:16 Edited at: 27th Jun 2008 22:52
I keep getting an Nxcooking.dll error. I assume it's from outdated drivers, but whenever I try to run a PhyX driver update, is says it stopped because of an error. Mind you it doesn't say what error. Has anybody else had this problem?

EDIT: Updated my Direct X and it seems to be working now. Strange.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 22:50
LeeBamber thanks for the information on dropped command, now I can see why one demo did not work until it was knock out,(PHY SET FLUID PARTICLE RADIUS), and I see someone made the rag doll command use ragdoll with no spaces.

Have any of your developers got a pulley commands demo as what I end up with does work right.

plus I have gone back on drivers for graphic cards and drives for physics but still not able to get fluid looking right just end up with big sphere bubbles. now drivers are back up to date but still not looking right.

would a complied fluid code help in finding the problem.

sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 01:25 Edited at: 28th Jun 2008 13:07
had an error saying (the application has failed to start because nvcuba.dll was not found re-installing the application may fix this problem.)

it did this when I run FPS - creator level

on the frog one the same message but with NxCooking.dll instead.

now I have in stall dbp update 6.9 and PhysX_8.06.12_SystemSoftware

now do I need to update direct x files to? if so can I down load them from here?

edit

need help what can I do to fix this?

soul sucking devils, twisted body of the damed, slivering slim drips from every poor, sin licking at your ears, and the smell stinging your eyes, and if you don't like it, get out of my kitchen!
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 01:54 Edited at: 28th Jun 2008 01:55
I've fixed all the problems you guys mention. The problem I now have is that even though I have a PhysX card installed it seems that running DarkPhysics programs in hardware mode causes my graphics card driver to reset and whatever program was using DarkPhysics will crash. It seems fine if its run in software mode however (which is no use to me when I want it to use my PhysX card).

I've got the latest DarkPhysics, Nvidia PhysX drivers and DirectX installed, and my Graphics drivers are up-to-date.

The only reason I can think of is that it doesn't like the fact im using an ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card. If this is the case, then I cannot enter the competition and make a decent entry.

I hope you guys find a way to fix the problem Im entering because I'd really like to enter.

Thanks.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 17:43
I've flicked through the help files and the removed commands are still there, in both the compiled help file and the F1 html ones.

Also, I don't see any way to change the visibility settings for fluids or their radius, the new system may look better by default, but if we can't change any settings it's next to useless. The fluids are all blue, how can I change this? And the fluids are very slow(especially when they build up in the Flowing Fluids demo), so to optimize this it would be ideal to make the particles have a larger radius but 'PHY SET FLUID PARTICLE RADIUS' was removed?

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
when do you expect to release the update for DGDK as I specifically use DarkPhysx for DGDK myself? thanks.
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 20:10 Edited at: 28th Jun 2008 20:13
Ive never heard of features being removed from an update before... seems counter productive, especially as those commands would in theory allow the "goo" to be configured to a watery substance anyway. Unless it was impossible by default. Anyway fluids are far to slow on my computer and anyones computer I've run it on so I don't know how ANYONE can make a demo with fluid physics, with dbp anyway.

I've also got a physics card, max FPS I get is 10, and its not exactly a bad computer either. It can happily run COD4 on max and crysis on nearly all high settings without too much lag.

Still haven't figured a way to do ragdolls yet. I also refuse to update to dbpro 6.9, its completely broken a lot of the commands I use all the time and will screw up my current projects.
sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 20:31
@ DBking

Quote: "I've fixed all the problems you guys mention"

How did you fix it?

@ Mike

dose this update only work on hardware?

I need to know cos I`v bin trying to fix this for a day now, and its starting to get on my nerves.

pleas can some one help me, I`v un-installed re-installed tried some direct x file fixes, and still cant get this to work

soul sucking devils, twisted body of the damed, slivering slim drips from every poor, sin licking at your ears, and the smell stinging your eyes, and if you don't like it, get out of my kitchen!
DSnelson
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm having the a lot of problems.

I've performed the upgrades (DBPro 6.9, NVidia Physx drivers, and DarkPhysics 1.05), and now when I try to run my game it opens the browser to the NVidia graphics drivers page and then crashes.

NVidia says I have the latest graphics driver installed. But, I can't run anything with Physx anymore.

Looks like I'm going to have go back to the old version, unless there's something I'm doing wrong here.

Any advice?

If I had to choose: I'd rather have the ability to create something, than know something.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 22:48
does the loading bar get to about 30% then jump to the end saying job done.

sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 23:25
@ HowDo

dose your copy of this work?
if so what did you do to fix it?

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 00:43 Edited at: 29th Jun 2008 00:45
sindore have a look at this link. this lets you put all back on as if you had just got it. if you can't find the fold just put in the first four digits and let the search find it.

[/href]http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=132351&b=30

ps copy your keys to some where safe then you only have to put them back.

sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 01:46
@ HowDo

Quote: "c:program filesinstallshield installation information"

I can`t find this even if I run it from the start menu.

I`v tried this to c:/program files / install shield / installation information

I`v tried this to c:\program files \ install shield \ installation information

and I`m using windows XP.

is there an other way of getting to these files?

tried looking for the file by hand, but only got as fare as program files, could not find install shield.

if you rite it like an address, I`ll run it and that will probable work.

DSnelson
Years of Service
User Offline
try exactly as shown: C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information

If I had to choose: I'd rather have the ability to create something, than know something.
PEH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 07:47
Anyone got this update working on an Ati card yet?
if so please show us how.

if this isn't supposed to work on an ATI card then why is this an update and not just a special add-on for NVIDIA users?

I WANT MY DARK PHYSICS BACK

and don't tell me to get an Nvidia card I hate NVIDIA right now cause I don't have money to spend of a new card.
DSnelson
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope you can get it to work with your ATI card, because this will suck if all games developed using PhysX only work with NVidia cards. That will divide an already divided market in half.

sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 12:57
@ HowDo

I`m going back to the old version 1.4 bate, but I need to copy them from off of my PC and on to my laptop.

I know you`ll know this.
do you remember what files and folders the old files where added to, and what there names are?

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 15:06
Quote: "I know you`ll know this.
do you remember what files and folders the old files where added to, and what there names are?"

mind reading is only part time, so not sure what you mean.

sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 15:26
sorry mate I was talking about the old 1.4 bate version of the physics update.

but not to worry I`m making a rollback now and it works.

Twisted Steel Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 15:54
Reason fluids aren't looking the way they're supposed to? Who knows... All I know is they're unusable now... they're just particles... they don't seem to stick together.... there's no skin around them...

blah

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 16:31
Quote: "they're just particles..."

The same as they used to be, and the same as they are in the PhysX SDK demos(in the demos they are just point sprite dots). What's changed is how they are rendered, while it may look nice, the old method was far more useful as you just had a mesh, how it looked was up to you, currently we're forced to use this standard watery-blue effect with fixed particle radii, I sometimes think this plugin was only developed with these small example demos in mind .

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 17:02 Edited at: 29th Jun 2008 17:09
Im also having trouble with the new update.
I have the latest N-Vidia Phyx drivers, DBP, Direct X 9c, Graphic Drivers.
My Graphics card is G-force 6600 GT
I get the “ Nxcooking.dll not found” error. I had been getting this with the last update and tried everything suggested and that I could think of. Finally giving up on dark physics until the “DarkPhysicsBeta070508” which worked perfectly fluid soft bodies, and all.
I have again tried all i can think of and have reverted back to the beta. Unfortunately in updating Dark basic pro to “To avoid any issues with fluids” , now no fluids are displayed.

Attachments

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 17:04 Edited at: 29th Jun 2008 17:08
Yet when i run the demo included with nvidia drivers i get this.

Can anyone help or will I just have to avoid Fluids?

Attachments

Twisted Steel Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 18:28
Same as Jammy here...

Just I see particles in the first one... they're not really sticking together like they used to... and look NOTHING like what Mike has showed...

Any ideas Mike? I know you're busy with many things at once, but could you have a look at it? Thanks.

PEH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 22:42 Edited at: 29th Jun 2008 22:46
I also get the no fluids problem. I have everything updated. DBP 6.9,
nvidia software drivers 8.04.25, Winxp sp 2. fluids work in nvidia demos but not from Dbp

Also I get a strange blue plain that I think is the fluids object but it never moves.

Also The soft bodies demo in dbp is MUCH slower than in the nvidia demo

Attachments

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 23:10
I am using a Nvidia 7300 se and just get little clear bubbles. what card are you using.

PEH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 23:47
ATI radeon 9550 256MB agp =(

I wanna upgrade soon but this should still work because it did on the nvidia demo. so it must be the dbp update.
trogdor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 07:16 Edited at: 30th Jun 2008 09:29
This is what I get on my nVidia 7800GS...

The nVidia driver fluid demo looks better and runs much faster than the new DP one.

dynamic meshes still dont work.

Edit: Also how do you get PhysXViewer to export tet file? I can load obj file, generate volume, and simulate soft body, but crashes when I select export obj and tet file it exposrts EZ-Mesh just fine...

If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime.

Attachments

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 10:53 Edited at: 30th Jun 2008 11:40
I noticed that in a standard physics loop with fluids:

The fluids are rendered a position one frame behind the current frame, this becomes apparent when the camera moves, i.e. if you move toward the fluids the particles become visible, if you move away they vanish. This can be fixed by placing the 'Sync' before the physics update calls, but doing so stops anything that isn't a fluid, i.e. a rigid body from doing anything.

I also noticed the fluid emitters stop after a while, why is this? I see no obviously named command that specifies how long an emitter should spray particles for and then stop, by default it should continuously spew as many particles as is required(lifetime*emit rate) forever.

Furthermore, the non-emitter fluids as shown in the 'Fluids' example are highly limited, changing the 'phy set fluid particle buffer cap' value has no effect on how many particles spawn in the fluid ball, I tried adding these fluids in my example app and had some issues. Such as using this:

I bound this to a key, so in theory... when this is called the fluid of fluidID is removed and recreated, almost like resetting the fluid ball. This works great for the first 9 times, but on the 10th it says the fluidID object couldn't be found. I'd guess that each fluid ball has 500 particles, and the amount of them spawned is never reset when they are deleted so having a buffer cap of 5000 means it will break on the 10th reset? In that example the whole simulation is reset, so I guess this issue is avoided but doing that is just unacceptable for a simulation that has more than 1 fluid and 10 barrels.

Also as mentioned above about the fluid visibility, it would be most useful if we have commands to specify the fluid simulation/physics radius, the visible fluid radius, the minimum density for a single particle(currently a single particle is very faint and requires many layers of them to really see anything, at which point your app is running at -5FPS), the added density for each extra fluid particle maybe? As if you set the minimum density quite high then 2 layers will be almost opaque. Or just give us full access to their visibility, I'm not sure what method they are using to render exactly but visually they just look like spheres with specular lighting and some falloff based on their normal to the camera, it doesn't really look like water at all most of the time. If we had full access to their visibility we could make our own shader based metaballs or something.

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 15:35
Hey Mike, would it be possible for you to add a command like PHY SET RIGID BODY MATERIAL ID, MatID

It would make it hell of a lot quicker changing an objects material. Currently if we want to change an object's material we have to delete it then set it up again with the new material, which makes things rather slow when dealing with several objects.

Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 13:02
i've checked the docs and found five comands for the softbodies. are there any more that are not currently documented? i'm just wondering how to attach them so they can be fixed to a single spot or fixed to a dynamic rigid body.

basically, every demo will be the same if attaching soft bodies to other objects isn't possible: they'll be lots of pillows of various shapes bouncing around!

War is terrorism with a bigger budget
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 15:08 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2008 14:04
Mike would it be possible to have a wire frame option on add force fields so you can see where you have placed the box sphere or capsule.

edit
Is there away to Sets motor parameters for the pulley joint and a winding pulley joint so that one end could lift an object.
Also away to attach the pulley to an object so that you can move the pulley in 3d space, eg over head gantry crane as used in ship yards.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 16:54 Edited at: 1st Jul 2008 16:55
Well I wondered why my physics objects stopped working, it seems that when you create a fluid, rigid bodies sometimes don't want to do anything?

In this example, tap the spacebar a few times(so that no boxes can spawn on-top of each other), and you will see(or at least I do) that around 30~% of the spawned cubes don't move, don't have collision etc. If I remove the fluid code they work fine. And this really needs to get fixed fast .

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 17:22
can you see the fliud you are using?

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 18:32
Yes.

Gedo831
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 19:01
In the latest TGC newsletter, Make wrote "The artist's triangle mesh can be used directly" as an explanation of DP cloth in a comparison with Dark Physics softbody.
So I looked into the latest DP update document, but it still look that the commands for building a cloth from mesh have been dropped.
Do I miss any information? Is there any way to build a cloth from a mesh I want?
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 19:35
@dark coder

whats your grahic card and hows it set.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 19:48
8800GTX, latest drivers, latest DBP, latest PhysX drivers and it runs fine, I didn't have to do anything special.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 19:53
well you're the first to say it works ok.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 20:05
While playing around with fluid emitters I discovered there's no way to change the direction in which they emit?? The help files state that 'phy set fluid emitter random angle' takes 3 floats to specify some kind of direction, this isn't the case as I can only set 1 value. 'PHY SET FLUID ROTATION' doesn't seem to do anything... so this is will be most hard to knock any socks off -_-. Also, is it me or is the viscosity rather useless? When an emitter sprays on a flat surface with a viscosity value of 0.001 I expect the particles to almost pile up like honey and very slowly flatten into a puddle, but they almost instantly go into a very flat puddle making this rather hard to do. And once in a flat puddle you basically can't see the fluids.

Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 20:16
is it possible to move the fluid emitter around? it looks like the point of emission has to remain in the same place.

can i attach a softbody to a rigid body?

War is terrorism with a bigger budget

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:52:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:52:01