Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Favourite Game Genre

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 22:58
We game creators must have inspiration from somewhere, I was just wondering where people get their ideas from, which type of games people like and would like to create. Personnaly I'm into first person shooters and sports games but their not easy to knock up.
Whatever it is the answer's no!
CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 23:04
Well, I know that I have alot of favorite genres (just depends what mood I'm in), therefore I decided to currently vote on Fighting. Tomorrow there is a 30% chance this will change.

Well, I'm off to go play some Virtua Fighter 4 on my PS2.

PS- personally, I have yet to see a good fighter come out of DB (I haven't played any - ).

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 23:18
RPG/TRS/FPS/3rd person shooter

Yellow:Wanna publish my game microsoft, cuz i no u rich so...Can I have my bag of money now?
Microsoft: *snicker* Tip of the month-Microsoft will never(probebly) publish your game.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 23:19
Hey crazymon, I'm building a 3D fighting game, although it's gotta long way to it will actually be finished, since I have tons of other projects to work on.

Yellow:Wanna publish my game microsoft, cuz i no u rich so...Can I have my bag of money now?
Microsoft: *snicker* Tip of the month-Microsoft will never(probebly) publish your game.
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 23:20
Mnn mine changes with my mood to.
But RPGs and MMORPGs are probally my favorite. (Balders Gate 1,2, Morrowind, Everquest)

Then FPS and RPG Lite Games (SOF2, Half life, RTCW, BG Dark Alliance)

Then Adventure and fighting (Dead or Alive, VF, Tekken, no adventure game springs to mind, mnnn Loom, Monkey Island were my favs about 200 years ago :p)
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 23:24
How about Zelda or Dark Cloud?

For me it can be no other than RPGs, but I like all Genres, except sports, too much of the same thing. Shenmue and Super Smash Bros. are the two game I really enjoy that really step out of thier genres

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 00:08
Yeah Yellow, I recall your posts a week and a half ago in a thread "suggestions for a 2D fighter". I guess I now know why you never responded to my last post there. Best of luck...

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 00:30
RTS(Every, C&C, Warcraft, AOE, and everyone I didn't put here) and MMORPG(Asheron's Call 2 at the moment).

Pentium IV 2.4 GHZ 256 MB Ram Geforce 4 TI 4200 128 MB
Visit my site: www.cuso.tk
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 01:21
I don't have a favourite, I have a favorite

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 01:24
Yea, Crazymon, I decided it best to do in 3D, since I'm much better in 3D then in 2D.In fact, I've never made a 2D game.I suppose I'll make some simple ones in the future, but since I wanted to make the fighting game really good, I best do it in 3D.

Oh, and to be on topic

Quote: "RPG/TRS/FPS/3rd person shooter"

add fighting genre to my list.

cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 01:25
:S In my dictionary is favourite... Or am I missing something?

CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 02:25
@ yellow

Being sort of engineer minded, how do you plan on handling the tedious collision needs of a 3D fighter. Just ultra curious, I've had ideas in the past, but...

What 3D fighters need today is a solid limb-damage system. Not cheesy and stupid like Tao Feng's but more realistic. My idea is to think of the health bar as looking like a human outline - the redder the limb the less damage it's going to be able to dish out, while body shots deplete overall performance of the foe.

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 02:38
Online first person shooters

only.

note, starcraft is a first person shooter by my standards

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 02:42
@ Crazymon I'm probebly going to try to combine limb damage, with some sort of health bar.And for the tedious collision, I guess I'll just have to assign collision to different limbs, but I'd be happy to hear any, more efficient suggestions.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 03:05
RTspider, that's because your dictionary is a UK dictionary, while my dictionary is a US dictionary. IMO the 'ou' spellings over there are just silly, it's not like you pronounce them like that anyhow

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 03:10
Inspired: Puzzle genre
Favorite: All

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 03:12
Starcraft an FPS??? Oh well if you say so...

Personally I can't stand beat 'em up games. I much prefer a well thought out RPG like gothic (especially gothic 2). Having said that ... I haven't found many people who can beat me at Q3. Only one in fact. No I'm not boasting (actually I am, most blatantly but thats beside the point).

As an avid role player I also do a fair bit of mudding too and I think it's one hell of a coincidence that I'm the crazy fool who's making one.

Daih thel phae 'e, clann 'e phaen
Blame it on INSANITY!
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 03:14
yea i was thinking about that too; Starcraft = FPS
(maybe he's talking about Starcraft: Ghost)

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 03:29
Okay mouse, what is your favorite game genre? I agree the ou spelling is a bit strange, but at school we learn british english. But the teachers pronounce the words american.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 04:26
British English. I like that one Clue is in the name gentlemen. And the words should sound the same really apart from the accents. And if we all had bad accents then we would be French. Heh. Too much TGP methinks.

Anyways, keep going that way and we may as all start eating sausages and calling ourselves Han.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 06:15
Favorite? I think I'd have to say RPG there. I also enjoy the First Person Sneakers (which yes, I honestly do consider their own genre): Thief, Thief II, and Thievery UT. I enjoy FPS; thinking FPS (System Shock 2), and when I'm feeling like killing people, UT/UT2k3. I like strategy games also, but not *quite* as much... still, I'm a huge fan of Age of Empires II and Heroes of Might and Magic II and III.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
RPG for me too. Although, I like more Adventure / Action RPGs where you can hack and slash while still leveling up your "magic" skills. (Although I don't prefer magic, I prefer the DBZ style)

~Morph/Kanzure
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 10:42
I'll put in the good word for 3rd person turn based tactical combat games: X-COM/X-COM2, Incubation/Wilderness Missions, Odium, Chaos Gate with a nod to Laser Squad, Tegal's Mercenaries, and Breech2.

I really liked Incubation, imagine a turn based game with a Quake like engine. Blue Byte really missed the ball by not opening it to the mod community.

There are some real time games that I like as well: Homeworld, Mech Commander 2, Metal Fatigue (terrible play balance, but fun to watch), Total Annihilation, and Starcraft.

Really looking forward to TRON2.
--
TAZ
CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 19:43
Well, I told you guys that my favorite genre always changes. Today, it's 2D shmups (shoot-em-ups), and I kid you not. R-Type rules!!!

"I need gopher-chucks!!"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 04:49:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 04:49:47