Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / X files loose their colours

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2002 19:00
Anyone get this problem with converting 3DS files to X files with the 3DS command.

If I export directly from 3DS MAX I get the right colours, but no animation

If I export a 3DS file and then convert it in DB I get the animation but loose the colours
Reece
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 16:48
Right, I've realised now after reading many posts and the fact that many remain unanswered, including this one, that DARK BASIC just cant handle models made and animated in 3DS MAX.
I've been trying for about 10 months and I still can't have ANY working 3D models!!!!!!

How on earth are people getting any results??
I don't have any other 3D modeling packages, what are you all using?????

help...
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 01:37
hey, i use 3ds max and i do the exact same thing u do, when i need textured objects only, i export from .max to .3ds and load it in DB but in the case i need animated objects i export from .max to .3ds then use the Dark basic coverter to convert the object to .x.

The catch is that when you texture your objects in 3dsmax, you have to make sure that the textures you use are in the same folder where your going to export the .3ds file to and convert it to.x using the DB converter. i.e. as you drag them from their source unto the map editor in 3ds max the "source" should be where you going to eventually store your .x file.

To further check, open your .X files using a text editor like notepad and in it, you should see a link to the material texture, this link is only works if the texture is in the same direcotory as the .x file.

erm, that may be a bit long but if you still dont't understand i'll have to write you a step to step guide.
Reece
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2002 01:46
Thats great, I follow what you're suggesting.
But my problem is not with textures, because Im not using any.
I'm just using the modifiers- Poly Select, and then Material ID to specify which faces have which colours from the Multi/Sub Object Material
I suspect I'm gonna need to make textures as you say, but creating plain coloured textures to place on each face sounds rediculous. No?
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2002 14:30
yeah it does, you'd need a lot of colours and the task would be ridiculously long. i tried doing that same thing, using the colours in 3dsmax instead of textures, neva worked for me though!
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2002 22:59
I use anim8or to make an object with limbs that is animated by hand at run-time. It's textured by loading a texture image and applying that at run-time too. Result! ...except I'm rubbish at modelling.
Freezer
Years of Service
User Offline
Try MilkShape It works fine for me anyway.

DarkSith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2002 12:15
I have 3DS Max 4.2, have the same problem, please could someone e-mail me this Milkshake program? If anyone can send it to:
craigr1984@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks. I'll try to help you if I can.

My computer system: AMD Duron 1.3GHz, 256MB RAM, Trident 3D Blade, Savage Sound, 40GB Hard drive.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 04:16:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 04:16:56