Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Global Warfare- MMOFPS- in need of some modelers.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 02:28
Right now two other people and I are working on an MMOFPS that we have named Global Warfare. All three of us are programmers, and know practically nothing about modeling.

We need someone who can-
A. Model nice looking things.
B. Can animate the models smoothly.
C. Can texture the models cleanly.

If you think you can do those three things, please post a message saying that you are interested.

Now I bet some of you are thinking that these people aren't serious about making the game, and that it will never get completed, you are wrong.

Our small team has practically finished the core engine, other than a few things like positioning the weapons and that stuff, mostly because we still don't have any models, other than a few I made for testing.

To show that we are serious I have attached a file that is a test run of the physics, and how we actually have them finished.

We are also in the process of making a website-

That is an image of our website right now.

We can't show much code, mostly because we don't want it stolen, but we can tell you what our plans for the game are.

Global Warfare

When you start the game, you get to pick what country you belong to. There are four countries’s to pick from, and each has a different landscape. Then, you pick a name for your character.
In the country that you picked, you are given a piece of land and a house. You can then walk around your country, with other online players. (It will have NO computers because we have decided that it should be more realistic, except for the people who sell guns and stuff like that)
You are soon drafted to the army of your country. You fight the other four countries in the attempt to rule the world. Every time you do something that benefits your side, you gain points. Get enough points and rank up!

That is basically the story. We aren't going to make it set into stone what you have to do because we want to see which country can rule the world, and what happens. Also, if you die, you are spawned in the country whose soldier killed you.
There will be many weapons to choose from, and many different ranks. You can also chat with other players in the range of hearing. There are going to be MANY other features in the game, but these are really the main things.

So if you would like to join our team please tell us, we are really in need of modelers.

Thanks, and we hope to get many replies.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 03:57
Do you have more of a game than just that physics demo? Because while it runs nicely...it's not really anywhere near being the alleged MMOFPS that you claim it's going to be..

Technically, you don't need models until nearly all the programming is done, or at least until you have the online aspect of the game set up and running.

This is a random sentence about squirrels.
Vorg1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 04:04 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2008 04:05
Not to sound mean or anything but you guys have a long ways to go if your going to make a MMOFPS. Do you have any online connectivity or shooting yet. From the attached exe it doesn't look like it. If you haven't already ,check out multisync, it is the best multiplayer plug-in for dbpro.You should put a demo out that has full multiplayer functionality and not worry about people stealing your code. You can always use FPSC model packs as stand-ins if you have to use models as references. MMO's are super hard so you guys are up for a big task ahead it you are going to sell it and everything. Good models should be the last things on your minds right now until you have a totally fully functional engine. That can support everything that you pruposed to do.

Also maybe put some screenies up before this thread gets locked.
Good Luck( you are going to need it)

Vorg1
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 04:21 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2008 04:26
Quote: "Do you have more of a game than just that physics demo? Because while it runs nicely...it's not really anywhere near being the alleged MMOFPS that you claim it's going to be..
"

We do have more, but since it is a team effort, I don't have it all right at this second. I will post some more of the things we have made.

Quote: "Not to sound mean or anything but you guys have a long ways to go if your going to make a MMOFPS. Do you have any online connectivity or shooting yet."

Oh, woops, I forgot to mention that in this thread (I made three other and then didn't post them because I disliked them) We have the online play done, even though it is mainly spheres. You can talk and everything. We also have the shooting system done. As I said before, this is a team effort, and right now I am really in charge of physics, and some other things. We are using multi-sync, and it works really well (even though I didn't work on it...)

Quote: "Also maybe put some screenies up before this thread gets locked.
Good Luck( you are going to need it)"

I will try to post more screenies, although since we really have terrible models, it doesn't look amazing ( although the programing is really good ). I will try to get a screeny of the online stuff, like the chat thing.

Quote: "Technically, you don't need models until nearly all the programming is done, or at least until you have the online aspect of the game set up and running."

I know we still have a long way to go and we DO have the online part.

Thanks for all the comments and luck!

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 06:01
Quote: "We have the online play done, even though it is mainly spheres. You can talk and everything. We also have the shooting system done."

Now you're talking

In the future it'd be a nice idea to wait to post your WIP thread until you have all the information ready to display. Let's see a demo of the online play and shooting perhaps?

Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 08:08
Looks...Ok

I would like to hear that you are doing something more interesting with it then just the player completes missions and ranks up. It just sounds repetative but I hate the way MMO's are done anyway.

Like the others I would like to see some more screen shots but if its not much graphically maybe you could show some videos. The more you show the more likely it is you will get someone to contribute.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 14:49
Better to have a horrid looking screenshot making modellers think "if I helped those guys out, it would be awesome", than have no screenshots and make everyone think "FLAME!".

For now, I'd like to see some horrid screenshots .

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 15:27
I have managed to get three more screen shots, and I am trying to get one of the chat system in play.

That is the first one with the shooting system. The level came from one of the demos, same with the gun. At the top left you see numbers, that is how much ammo you have and also your position.

That is the online thing in action, which I couldn't get connected because one of my other teammates has the server. So this is a picture of me not being able to connect. We are hopeing to put like a sad smiley face there.

This is a picture of physics, using the header file that I created. Here it shows the hands of a person that I made. Terrible, right? Also, this is the code that is required to have human physics using my header file ( really it is the code for that demo in my first post.)

it is really simple.

Quote: "Better to have a horrid looking screenshot making modellers think "if I helped those guys out, it would be awesome", than have no screenshots and make everyone think "FLAME!"."

Well, just look at the pictures above, although they might scare modelers away because they are so bad.

Quote: "Now you're talking

In the future it'd be a nice idea to wait to post your WIP thread until you have all the information ready to display. Let's see a demo of the online play and shooting perhaps?"

Yes, and I am really sorry about that, since I wrote three other threads I thought I had it all in there.

I am going to try and get you a demo of the online play and the shooting. Right now, we have a minor problem with the shooting, mostly because the person who was in charge of that is getting errors that are really wierd. The online play I will try to get A.S.A.P.

Quote: "I would like to hear that you are doing something more interesting with it then just the player completes missions and ranks up. It just sounds repetative but I hate the way MMO's are done anyway."

Well, you are probably right about the ranking up, and we will probably do something else, but basically that is what will happen, and when you rank up really high you can get better weapons.

Thanks for all the comments!

dbGamerX
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm in charge of the shooting. It's coming along pretty nicely I think. Ability to carry two weapons, ability to switch weapons with the press of the the desired key, lighting and more. I'm currently in the process of using dbIntersectObject to calculate the points where the bullet goes and then creating a crater in it.

But first I need to figure out why I can't use dbCloneObject.

Anyways, here is a video of the shooting. See the attachment =)

NOTE: When it looks like it's lagging or when the text indicating ammo or position "blinks", it is CamStudio's recording that did it. It doesn't really happen. And I also don't know why there is a dark area to the right or the bottom of the video. Once again, it is CamStudio. It makes my computer lag.

NOTE 2: When I shoot, take a look right under the coordinates. The object's filename I hit flashes. It flashes because the bullet isn't making continuous contact.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
dbGamerX
Years of Service
User Offline
I forgot to mention, I'm in work of processing/making:
1) The bullets
2) Adding shaders to make the bullet craters
3) Adding smoke to the gun on fire

dbGamerX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 18:10 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2008 18:15
OK download a demo of the shooting. It is 28 meg and you get to shoot the targets

D/L link: http://www.uploading.com/files/QH3FU729/Global_Warfare.zip.html

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 06:45
Was it really necessary for everyone on the team to have 3.5 MB signatures?

MISoft 3D Artist.
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 07:44
@venge - Yeah seriously -_-

I'm currently waiting the 3 minutes required before I can download your game...you should host it at MediaFire or something, they don't make you wait to download it, and have quite a lot of storage for free.

Ok so tried it out. I was almost impressed until I went up the stairs. Or rather, through the stairs :p ..And the walls...and everything else!

From the first demo I was under the impression that you had collision/physics all worked out? Methinks you should get that done before you worry about pretty graphics.

Juggalo Memnoch
Years of Service
User Offline
So what type of models are you guys looking for
People, Weapons or Levels
baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2008 15:41
I am a level designer with a fair bit of experience, and I'd be happy to design the levels/cenery/buildins for you. All I need is pictures, plans etc

Cheers
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2008 15:51
Quote: "Was it really necessary for everyone on the team to have 3.5 MB signatures?
"

Sorry about that, I didn't realize it until a mod deleted mine. My computer is really fast so I never had to wait or anything.

Quote: "From the first demo I was under the impression that you had collision/physics all worked out?"

Well, we do. Right now we are just getting everything set up. we are going to make header files of everything, shooting, physics, online, and then put it all together.

Quote: "So what type of models are you guys looking for
People, Weapons or Levels "

We have just gotten a new modeler, who we found from posting on different forums. He is amazing, but there are SO many things to model for the game. Really, I think the hardest part will be modeling the landscape. So if you do join, you might be doing mostly the land and everything, but you might do something else also.

Thanks.
p.s.- I am changing my sig to a much smaller size.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - 3.5MB for an image is too much - try something under 150kb
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2008 16:46
Now, maniac, what would the budget be for the models for the game (as in polygon way) as I might do some models if I happen to be sitting without anything to do one night(which I do seem to do a lot! )

If someone says plz because it's shorter than please I say no because it's shorter than yes
Quote: "Chuck Norris drank gravy and fertilized his lawn with emo kids so it would cut itself"

programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2008 17:28
Quote: "I am a level designer with a fair bit of experience, and I'd be happy to design the levels/cenery/buildins for you. All I need is pictures, plans etc"

That would be helpful, right now we don't have any pictures or anything. I will add you to my MSN if you have any questions. I will try to get pictures.

Quote: "Now, maniac, what would the budget be for the models for the game (as in polygon way)"

We are trying to keep the game low poly, but also good graphics. So any model that you think would go well in a game we will appreciate greatly.

Thanks.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - 3.5MB for an image is too much - try something under 150kb
Juggalo Memnoch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I might do some models if I happen to be sitting without anything to do one night(which I do seem to do a lot! )"

Same here so just let me know what ya need
So far your game looks pretty good
and I'd be happy to contribute in any way I can
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2008 19:30
Thanks to everyone that will contribute to the game. Our main modeler will tell me if he needs any help with sometihng and I will tell you guys.

You can contact me at maximo7274@gmail.com.

Thanks again

www.globalwarfare.tk
CAJUN57
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey everyone,
im in charge of the multiplayer server and client, right now im doing a rewrite of the system to speed it up a bit and get lower pings, after that il post a quick demo of the engine

programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 23:40
On a different forum, we have gotten other modelers to help out. Right now, I think we have approximatly 7 people who will help model for the game. If you would like to help model, please post your email address and I will try and get all the modelers together so then can discuss what needs to be done and everything.

thanks.

www.globalwarfare.tk
baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 12:40
Hi, my email address is tristanbacon1@hotmail.com. Could you please name the email something along the lines of Globla Warfare level designer etc

Cheers
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 14:37
Actually, our first modeler will contact you, I have been giving him everyones email and he is trying to get everyone connected.

Thanks.

www.globalwarfare.tk
Juggalo Memnoch
Years of Service
User Offline
Well it sounds like you guys have alot of modelers already
but if you need another my email is memnoch_the_necromaster@yahoo.com
programing maniac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 15:23
Quote: "Well it sounds like you guys have alot of modelers already"

Yes, I wasn't expecting THIS many people to help, but it is better for the game, right?

Quote: "but if you need another my email is memnoch_the_necromaster@yahoo.com "

Ok, I will have our first modeler email you saying he is working with global warfare. He has every other modelers email, so he is going to get you all connected.

Thanks.

www.globalwarfare.tk
Vorg1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 17:41 Edited at: 9th Jul 2008 06:51
You can add me to MSN. If you really need any help but most indie games have between 2-4 models, sometimes even 1. 7+ kinda seems excessive to me even if it is going to be a huge game, especially if it is all going to be sent over email. That may makes it harder. It may be hard to convey excactly what you want sending it in an email. But anyways good luck and if you need any models I would be willing to help.
baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 21:11
Well, if everyone has MSN, then we could have a conversation.

Alternativley, we could use a special messenger which can be used only by members of the 'team'.

If the appropriate person from the Global Warfare team (studio name?), could email me with a few details which Marcus Mills was unable to cover. For example, when the 4 continents need to be different, how different is that? Different climates, such as desert, arctic, rainforest, grassy etc.
The tunnel bit may be hard, as 3DWS cannot make tunnels. But, if someone were to send me a tunnel, I could very easily add it to the map.

Cheers all!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:18:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:18:52