Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Brief window flashes when F5 pressed

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 23:55
My operating system is WXP Pro and this is my first try at DB Pro. Each time I try running one of the example programs (e.g. Animation Showcase) using F5 I get a brief flash of what looks like a command line screen (totally black) and I get returned to the DarkBASIC main screen (i.e. the program seems to have been terminated before it had a chance to run). When I use the debug button, the program runs OK.

I have tried adjusting the screen settings (in DB Pro) but this has no effect.

BTW: I will be attempting to teach this stuff at a UK college of FE next September - not a great start.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 22:50
Try putting WAIT KEY at the end of your program, or other appropriate points. At leastthen you should see the screen before it vanishes, and get an idea of what's going wrong.

BandP College Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2008 11:50
Thankyou for the quick reply.

No Joy. I've tried it with the most basic program, i.e.

PRINT "Hello World"
WAIT KEY

When I press F5 or the 'exe' button the editor minimises, a black screen maximises then minimises (and disappears) immediately and then the editor maximises again.

As I said previously, it works ok when run under debug. Could it be WXP somehow not giving control to DBP? I've seen the odd post about directx9.0c as well - it's installed on my PC but not the 'June' version??
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2008 22:27
Ensure you have the latest DirectX 9.0c installed, you can get it in many places including here...

http://www.filehippo.com/download_directx/

Does that fix the problem?

BandP College Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 01:10
Thanks for the suggestion (Tone Dialer),

I have 9.0c installed. I tried the same thing on my laptop, which also runs XP Prof, and it showed no problems. My desktop (where this problem occurs) has a screen resolution of 1280 x 1024 and I have a NVIDIA GEFORCE 6800 graphics card. I have also tried running some of the (DarkBASIC) games and demos downloaded, they don't work either on the desktop but work OK on the laptop.

This seems like some HW or configuration setup glitch. Does DarkBASIC run its applications 'under' a DOS type box/window or does it 'capture' the control of the machine on a temporary basis? Perhaps I shouldn't pre-judge but I am convinced this is some 'mothering' SW within XP Pro, trying to protect me from damage.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 16:23:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 16:23:38