Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / [LOCKED] zombie RTS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2008 09:02 Edited at: 9th Jul 2008 11:21
Project announcements

i'm in the process of making a simple zombie RTS.... as simple as possible for you nay-sayers. I wrote up this script, but there are a few problems with it. What i would like to improve in this script woud be-

I'm using an object for a muzzle flash, and it doesn't work, i can't figure out why. Solving this is what im trying to do right now, but what i'd really like to do would be to not use an object at all, and draw lines instead. However, the "object screen x/y/z" command is laggy.

im just going to update my work as i progress so, here's my to do list, in this order

-Link muzzle flash to ally cube
-add selection of allies
-zombies wander in groups
-better solution for the problem of zombies hitting the boundaries of the course.
-buildings

I think i can manage the muzzle flash, and i'll look up selection of allies on the forums, but any advice on selecting units would be very helpful.

====================================update=======================================

I have an update in the code, and have made a menu with an options screen. but since i used images for that, i decided to remove it from the code that im posting here, to save the trouble of uploading the pictures, and having you download them.

I've also decided to really make this a project, and develop it to the best of my ability.

The new and more organized script also has solved the problem of only one ally shooting at a time, and the problem of the health values getting messed up. Also, i changed the AI scripts so that each team AI has a seperate subroutine.

Because of this progress, i've decided to make a long-term goal list... and since it's about zombies i figured it should be splattered with blood....

parrot
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2008 22:26 Edited at: 8th Jul 2008 04:38
using the above post for project updates

parrot
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 10:25 Edited at: 8th Jul 2008 04:38
using the above post for project updates.

parrot
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 23:03 Edited at: 8th Jul 2008 04:39
using the above thread for project updates,

parrot
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 05:34
===========================update=========================

I changed around the code, and now the selection system works as follows:

To select an allied unit, left click
to stop selected allied unit(s), right click while they're selected
to deselect the selected allied unit(s), left click on the ground
to to tell an allied unit(s) to attack, select the units, then click on an enemy.

I'm working out some ways to be able to move an object to the position on the map via clicking.... none of them are working.

parrot
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 10:17 Edited at: 9th Jul 2008 22:57
I'm currently updating my script to allow for the use of vectors to be able to pick out a point on the map. The one thing i don't like about this method of selection is that, whenever i use it, i can only squeeze out maybe, 16 fps. I'm trying to project a line from the mouse and see where it intersects the map, using the SET OBJECT COLLISIOIN TO POLYGONS, command. If my map object has a very low polygon count, then this should work fine.

The thought of using 3d objects, maps, as courses, has got me thinking about the possibilities of where i could take this game. I've always had an interest in MMORPG's, and i'm trying to think of ways i could implement something a multiplayer element in my game. What i'm thinking of? Seperate maps, connected to eachother, in which the zombies can move completely freely about.

parrot
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 23:49
Right now the screen fps of the program is approximately 160 per second, with a highest rate of 170, lowest of around 135. I'm aiming for around 40 fps on the final game.

parrot
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 00:01
Why do you aim to have a lower FPS?

- Elias, Damezean, Nackidno, Wonderboy

AntocGames - http://antocgames.se.nu/
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 00:10
Not really aiming to have a lower fps, just trying not to let the fps drop below 40

parrot
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 01:09
Ah, my bad.

- Elias, Damezean, Nackidno, Wonderboy

AntocGames - http://antocgames.se.nu/
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 09:46 Edited at: 10th Jul 2008 09:57
Nice! i've been mulling over the "Vectors don't bite" tutorial, and after dissecting the RTS sample code, i understand it, and have implemented it into my game. The new code allows you to move a selected unit to any place on the map. Also, the matrix has been changed to a plain, with a randomly generated texture.

The code's also pretty FPS friendly, i tried it with 200 zombies and still retained a decent framerate. It seems slow, but that's just that the movement values were meant for about 150 fps. Just change characterinfo(abc).speed to about 0.1 or 0.15, and the RND statement for zombie turning divided by 2.

parrot
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 08:56 Edited at: 11th Jul 2008 08:57

I added some stuff to the unit movement and screen movement. Try it out.

It would be fun to play but, for the life of me, i can't figure out why after a while, the ally ai just shuts off. If anyone can help, that'd be great.

parrot
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 01:43 Edited at: 13th Jul 2008 01:53

I really didn't change much about the game. I'm combining the Ally and zombie AI, it's alot faster.

What i'm going to try to do now is to start groupind the zombies, to enhance the speed. Right now, you can get about 33 fps with 200 zombies and 10 allies. What i'm going to try to do is make groups of 10 zombies, that will stay within a certain range of eachother. For these ten zombies, the average of their positions will be taken,and THEN compared to the allied units. This will, in theory, mean that you could have the same amount of tests run for 2,000 zombies, as for the 200 right now. If there is a loss in gameplay, meaning, if it's not fun if the zombies stay grouped together like that, then maybe groups of five, three, or two.

parrot
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 05:41
I'm completely redoing my zombie game. The updated features?

1. Zombies will come in groups of 5, this means, five times as many zombies, with the same amount of lag.

2. The new engine will have 3 maps, the size of the above, with buildings (wohoo!)

The ai won't really maneuver around the buildings, they'll just run into the buildings and turn a bit.

3. There will be citizens in the new game. They will be able to be possessed by the zombies. You will also have to save the citizens.

4. There will be different allied unit types.

The regular ones will have an average speed, medium range, medium damage, medium rate of fire, and medium accuracy.

the shot gunner will have a slow speed, a medium range, a high damage (based on range), and a high accuracy.

the rifleman will have an average speed, a long range, a high damage, and a low accuracy.

the flame thrower(AWESOME!!!) will have an average speed, a medium range, a low damage(over time) and a high accuracy. The flame thrower will really be impractical, it's just cool. The flame will slowly eat away at the zombie's health until they die. The problem? when one zombie is on fire, the ones next to it are on fire, and the ones next to it... etc.... and this spreads to the citizens, and the allies. i'm just putting it in because it's awesome.

The Leader unit. The leader will have a high damage, a speed identical to the regulars, a high range, and an accuracy based on distance.These units will be able to lead the citizens to the base.

5. and, these units will be able to build stuff!
In the game, you will build defenses, like turrets and walls, to defend the citizens.

That's what i have planned, and it's going to be awesome.

parrot
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 09:09
This is my random map generator. I am thinking about adding fences around the park area but, for the most part, this is it. It's not much but it's a start.

I can't get the streets working right though

parrot
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 01:03

I have a bit more done. After i add it so that the citizens (the blue squares) can't go out of the map, i'm going to start adding in zombie and allied units.

parrot
Nano brain
Years of Service
User Offline
Just want to inspire you to continue on with this by saying your doing a great job! Keep it up. Are you working towards making a profit with this game?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 10:35
Not to nag or anything, but you do know there's an entire board for project announcements?

Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 22:53 Edited at: 20th Jul 2008 06:00
meh, originally i just needed some help, aaaand i do need some help right now on getting the framerate up, with the addition of zombies i can only get about 4 fps at the height of gameplay. i would post the code up to ask for tips but.... apparently when i pressed save, that wasn't good enough for my computer, so i have to reprogram the zombies and barriers... eh, oh well, maybe i can get the framerate up.

Thanks nanobrain Im just using this game to get a better view of programming in general. After i finish this, with a good map, some fun gameplay, and online play, i'm moving up to c++

The reason i want to move up to c++ is because i remembered about this one game-plane of goofiness. You're basically a cube, that moves around, and shoots stuff. It used to be a really fun multiplayer online game, but now, no one ever logs on, and all of the other fun stuff that comes with the game (building stuff, trying to take on the Chuck Norris cube.... yes theres a chuck norris cube, making your own servers and creating quests and monstercubes) just isn't fun anymore.... so i'm trying to get other people to play it, and trying to make custom client and server apps.

http://home.stny.rr.com/pastarunner/pog_index.htm

it's really only fun if you have other people playing. If anyone's interested, my username is "NeuroFuzzy" or "Johobo"

parrot

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 18:16:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 18:16:08