Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DBPro is better?.....I already have DBC but im a noob does it matter?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive been reading in the forums more more lately and every newcomer that asks the question which DB should i get its always pro..I got dbc as a present about a month a go and now im being told on the forum that its no good. I am a complete noob anyhow so does it matter what i start with...I also have the Visual C++ Intr, so should i just forget about Dark Basic and start on c++ sense the DBC is worthless anyway.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 21:08
Of course it matters! More power DBC Is great though, I did a bunch of ED in it,,,then I decided to go Pro. If you have the money - you may want to check out Pro - but otherwise - classic is just fine. Try out the demo of Pro and see if its really worth it to you. Make sure you learn most the classic commands first - so your not overwhelmed by pro

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!
Kalik
Years of Service
User Offline
BAH!!! Damn Damn....Double, triple damn! PRO is the Devil looks like im gonna dish out 100bucks.

Kalik
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually u know what DBpro does look worth it maybe it will be worth my money... I saw the demos and they look great.

3dZmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 21:40
DBpro is thousand times better than classic. Offcourse that's only my opinion... It's worth the money I spent indeed! Thought It's kind of stupid that anyone can code a good game(though not everyone can code a game good enogh to sell). So if you code a game nobody will show any respect as in the old days when it was difficult. Offcourse If you code a superb game...

Current project: Dodge Viper Car Game (Not named yet) Other car models are going to be included soon
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 22:33
anyone can code a poor-average game but you have to quite good to program a good-superb game, even games that get sold aren't always worth it, my current favourite game is 'wolfenstein enemy territory' its free!!! it was gonna be an expansion pack but they didn't like the single player so just released the multiplayer as a stanalone game woohooo!!!! it could do with a few more maps though

***Ordered Dbpro today(friday 11th)****
Saturday AM+PM: Not Dispatched
Sunday AM: Dispatching shortly
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 22:40
you can get good results in DB classic, this game...

http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net

was written in classic, although they are going to use pro for the next version, or so I understand, ability counts as much as the language you use, cheers.

Mentor.

iannai
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, here's my angle, as a noob to Dark Basic.

I first tried the demo of classic which I hated, coz of the interface. Then tried it with DarkEdit, which is much better.

Also downloaded the DBPro trial and had a play with that. Much better interface and a lot quicker at rendering scenes etc.

However, then I saw DB Classic for sale on Amazon for £17.99 so I went for it. I figure as a noob, I can start off learning the "tried and tested" version, and benefit from all the years of code snippets and help that has built up.

From what I have read, Pro is still a little buggy in places and everyone seems to eagerly waiting the new patch (5?)

I'm going to stick with classic for now, build up my skills and move on to pro as soon as I need it's extra commands / speed / facilities / or whatever.

Just my twopence worth

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 03:28
iannai - Good plan

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!
Kalik
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah ty iannai thats exactly what im gonna do

Troan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 04:59
same thing im going to do!!!!!!!!!!

"Life isnt everthing, its the only thing."
"If a mime get hits by a car, does he scream?"
---------------------------------------------Troan
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 05:12 Edited at: 14th Jul 2003 05:12
same thing i regret dong!

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 05:13
Well, if its price your worried about, DBPro is still cheaper than most of the other engines out there, & is in fact, the cheapest best 3d engine that I have found, with the speed of current games on the market.

Just compair DBPro to A6 Pro. DBPro can do all that A6 Pro can do, except for the drastic increase in FPS rate in A6, for 1/9th the cost. A6 Pro goes for about $900 these days, but A5 Pro used to go for $1250.

I wanted better FPS rate than DBClassic, because I wanted to try & create some commercial games, & from what I hear, DBPro is better at 2d, 3d, & a mixture of both than DBClassic is at.

Unless you want a horrificaly slow game, I would go with Pro. Even if DBClassic has multiplayer, its still going to be much slower at multiplayer than Pro.

I belive Pro is still better than Classic, even though it is a bit buggy, even though I havnt found any bugs yet. It is true that Pro is Faster, more powerfull, & has a lot of great traits, but if your on a bugget (of less than $40,) stick with classic (I can feal for the worlds economy,) but if you can fork over $100, get pro, its worth it.

Better graphics, FPS rate, & all around better. In DBClassic, one of my friends was trying to get a level with 2 matrix's, one water & another land, & the water was horribly blocky & was the best his computer (that was better than mine could) handle.

I upped the value of one of the lines of code in Pro, & it was almost like it would be IRL, not blocky & patchy like Classic can do.

I dont have the pictures anymore, as I lost my harddrive, but I used to have before & after scenes of this, & it was much better looking in Pro, & ran at about 30 FPS more than what he ran it in in Classic.

So in the end, Pro will be much better for making a game to live up with todays standards.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 15:36:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 15:36:44