Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Bitmap vs image

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What is the difference between Bitmaps and images?

-Patrik
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 18:52
In terms of internal structure, I can't say. They seem to be similar. Images, however, are displayed, in whole or in part, using a sprite. Bitmaps appear to be displayed by pasting them to the screen. You can have quite a number of images but only 32 bitmaps. Images are a bit closer to the Direct X functionality than bitmaps..... I think.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 19:53
Images are equivalent to a DirectX texture, bitmaps to a DirectX surface. Bitmaps are for editing, and drawing/rendering to. Images are for textures and sprites and are usually the source of the data, whereas bitmaps are the destination of the data.

Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
Curious? CLICK HERE!
TeNgu
Years of Service
User Offline
That clears it a bit. Thanks. =)

Coming from the 3D rendering biz, the difference to me was that a bitmap is a BMP file format and image is just that, an image to be used in any way it need to. :p

Thanks to both
-Patrik
BlackRece
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 02:07
err, still don't get it! I must be stoopid or summut!

a simple 2d menu on a 2d background, that is to appear over graphics and to be removed from view without disrupting background should use which?

if I've got it right;
method one:
- grab area of screen where menu is going via an image, show menu, then paste image back where grabbed from

or method two:
- put menu to a bitmap and only show the menu bitmap when and where reuired, then hide/destroy bitmap

have I just answered my own question?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 17:30:24
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 17:30:24