Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What is the limit?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm just cruising around the forums and getting inspired. As usual, I have lofty dreams of what can be done. But this is my question........What are the limits of DarkBasic and DarkBasicPro? I'm intelligent enough to know that you can't make games of C++ or Python calibre but what is the pinacle of creativity in DB and DBP? Are there any specific obstacles that DB and DBP will not allow me to clear? I'm aware that it takes a fairly large amount of time to learn any languange well enough but will DB or DBP stop me because it lacks the power or capability? If so what does DB and DBP lack specifically?
Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Loki
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 12:20 Edited at: 14th Jul 2003 12:21
Quote: "
I'm intelligent enough to know that you can't make games of C++ or Python calibre "

There's absolutely no reason you can't make games of such a calibre (and since when did Python become such a game dev language? I suppose GTA was written in Perl too!) It's just that DarkBasic Pro is quite young language and still "maturing". I'm sure this point will have been made before on this board, but, just because you use C++ doesn't automatically make the game technically better. It's up to you, the programmer to know how to do all those crazy things - DBP just makes it easy.

In my opinion, Darkbasic's strength is also its weakness. Because it's easier to make games with it, you get people (like me) who are very lazy and never really do anything serious with it. However, if you spent a year or so on a game then you'd probably have something of publishable quality.

Quote: "
I'm aware that it takes a fairly large amount of time to learn any languange well enough but will DB or DBP stop me because it lacks the power or capability?"

DB is very easy to learn. I already have programming experience, so I guess it was relatively easy for me - but I can see how the language would be easy for a non-programmer to learn. If you're seriously interested in writing games, then there's no reason you couldn't use DBP as a stepping stone; Learn what's involved in game creation then "graduate" to something a little more commercially viable, like the Torque engine.

Quote: "If so what does DB and DBP lack specifically?"

I think it would be foolish to write off DBP because it can't do "feature x". Visit the main page, look at the features, but bring a pinch of salt with you It would only be fair if I pointed out that DBP suffers from a couple of bugs at the moment, but the development team are working very hard to sort them out.

Bender:Blackmail’s such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The x makes it sound cool.
Loki
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the information. Python isn't really a "Game" language but I saw it used on a couple of AI programs that could be considered entertaining. The names of them I do not remember off the top of my head but if you look hard enough you can find them.

I wish to create games that are inspired and original, I don't want to make another Arkanoid clone that seem so popular. Don't get me wrong, I understand that those are stepping stones but I would keep those to myself as I would not feel compelled to air my practice programs in public.
I have ideas that are original and all I need is something to help get to the goals that I have set. I just need a way to realize those goals. I'm sure many of the dedicated members here feel the same way.

trager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 13:02
Loki
This is an ametuer site so most people will "air their practice programs" Its a good way to get feed back and inspiration also a good way to get yourself known as a programmer rather than a poster.

It can be quite hard to get help without a reputation as an able bodied programmer perhaps you should knock out a load of old shoddy clones just to get people intrested.

Trager

There is no answer only more questions.
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 13:20
While it's true that your first ever game may be an arkanoid clone, your future catalogue of games don't need to be based on a ball and bat ...

http://www.victory-road.co.uk/images/screens/ingame4.jpg
http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net/gallery/s11.jpg
http://www.aquaterranorthwest.com/cat/screen1.jpg
http://www.aozf28.dsl.pipex.com/sc2.jpg
http://blueblood.bandedsoftware.com/WWII_MAR19_4.jpg

If you're the maker of one of the games above and don't want your screenie here, just let me know and I'll remove it.

Bender:Blackmail’s such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The x makes it sound cool.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 16:02
Yep they sell that one

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 15:45:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 15:45:22