Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Story Lines

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How Would you create story lines for your games? Like some of the games that you play for the PC and the systems.
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2008 21:57
That's a pretty open-ended question.
The answer would be, write a story.
Need some structure? Try this...

1. Start with a viewpoint. Since FPSC is a "First Person" shooter, we can assume that the viewpoint will be from the "Main Character".

2. Since it's a shooter game, there will be conflict. You can have conflict in an activity (eg Search for the Holy Grail), or conflict in a situation (eg Stranded on an island), or more complex stuff like attitude and manipulation. Suffice it to say that most games go by either activity or situation.

3. For a complete story you need other elements like a throughline and relationships. In games this is usually done by creating other characters. Half-Life has Alyx, Resident Evil has Albert Wesker, Bioshock has Sander, etc.

4. Above all, make sure there is purpose. If there is no purpose, then it's just an arcade game. If you're stuck on an island, make the purpose getting off the island. If you're searching for the Holy Grail, make the purpose to return it to your King. You're game should end because you have reached the end of your storyline, not because you've killed everyone.

5. Search these forums. There are at least two dozen threads on storyline.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 03:51
Stories? Of course you need your basic story structure and to consider how immersive your storyline could be. I feel a lot of games are weak in terms of plot, but that's me.

One way to put an effective plot-line is to:

Make the audience ask a question, the audience will want to find out the answer. But one question isn't enough, you got to make twists and have the answer turn in interesting ways - unexpected or just answer the question with another question.

Of course when coming up with ideas they need to flow realistically, appear convincing (even if they're far-fetched) and be consistent.

Ideas themselves always start at one point and elaborate - a story I'm writing at the moment (not a game) started simply with the idea of a person in a frozen wilderness lost. I asked myself "Who is this person? where are they from? how did they get here? and 'Where are they going?" and it of course has developed into something I like.

For a game, they can like any story, but they of course need to bear in mind - what you are capable of and whats works with game play, I mean if you were to imitate a Jane Austin novel into a game it would work, but something like Lord of the Rings does.

I'd also say, please, no cliches (it's really doing something that's been done over and over, if it's what you're really like, then it's up to you of course), if I see another FPS to do with unethical experiments of humans, humanoids or something superntural going terribly wrong - so now that you are left to destroy super creatures, then I'll scream.

Might also help trying to do 'idea chains'.

Tropical Island->Crysis->Start again->Tropical Island->Hawaii->Tribes->Tribal Religion->Worships->Gods->Mythology

This could be the start to a game idea based on Hawaiian mythology, dig deeeper into some research in Hawaii and the idea chain I just started couple turn into something interesting - then you can start adding your characters, what their aims are and what the problems are etc.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
Gamer784
Years of Service
User Offline
I know that but I'm saying how do you create a story line for the game. like some games where you complete the 1st mission and then you will have a small story. I'm saying how would you do that?
lukex10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 18:34
you would need an animation program like ,daz studio,milkshape,maya,or 3ds max.BTW there are other programs.

New pc for chrismas, Nvidia 9800gtx ,ADM phenom 6.3ghz, 4gb ram ,250 gb hard drive.windows vista home premium.
Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Also, Iclone and crazy talk... There are so many!

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 21:23 Edited at: 19th Jul 2008 21:24
You don't mean storyline, you mean a storyzone!
You can either create a cutscene using the record function of X10, or as Lukex10 said, use software that allows animation with models. Basic video editing can be done with Microsoft Movie Maker if you don't want to spend any money.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 10:28:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 10:28:15