Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Fps Problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, Im making a little fps game (its my first game)
Ive made a gun in Milkshape 3d exported as an .x file.

Anyway i got some simple Mouselook code from searching around in the forums, but i dont want the character to fly up in the air when you aim up
And the .x file (gun) just continues on the ground

And it would be good if someone told me how to make some simple collision. (i want the object and camera to stop when it hits a certain object)

Please Help me!

Heres my code (i removed the lines with Texturing objects and playing music)

Weeee
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 22:19
Quote: "Im making a little fps game (its my first game)"

That sounds like you are attempting far too big a project far too soon. (I have to assume that you've not been programming all that long, so apologies if this isn't the case).

Attempting an FPS as your first game is probably the worst thing you could do (apart from an MMORPG). It'll only end in failure if you don't learn the basics first.

Start much, much smaller while you are learning all the commands. Write lots and lots of small programs which prove you know what all the commands do.

Write a number guessing game and then pong or space invaders - you will be amazed how complicated the game logic in Pong can be for a beginner. And, what you learn can be applied to your FPS later on...

Check out the beginners tutorials on the Dark Basic Classic board - they apply equally to DB Pro and Classic at the level they cover.

TDK_Man

Papa Stiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
TDK is right, FPS might be a little too much. Even the pong is tough for a begginner(took me a very long time to get realistic bouncing and speed effects lol). My first game was a small overhead 2D shooting game. The arrowkeys controlled the player and spacebar was shoot. Very simple indeed...

But best of luck to you and keep with it because it will get easier and easier the longer you code!

Got some time to kill...? <a href="http://www.theflasharena.com">TheFlashArena.com</a>
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 22:34
Quote: "Attempting an FPS as your first game is probably the worst thing you could do (apart from an MMORPG)."

I think an RTS might be worse.

Anyway, this looks just about how some of my games did when I started (of course I didn't know about this forum). Have a look at this thread: tutorials! Hooray!
It should get you started and more. TDK has some good tutorials in there.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 18:20:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 18:20:35