Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DLLs and how they are made

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay guys I really need to understand how DLLs work, how to make them, and how do they run or interact with DBP? Just a quick high level explanation is all I really need so don\'t be freightened

Thanks again guys!
Dabbler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 05:20
Try looking in the help files under help contents - techincal documents - third party commands.

Whatever...
Moe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 00:16
in c++ or some other language, basically - think functions

parrot
fhtughryf
Years of Service
User Offline
Well if it's another language how does visual basic (darkbasic) interact with another language? I'm assuming the DLL is compiled so I guess I don't understand how the compiled dll talks with darkbasic.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 01:12
You write the function, then you use a resource string to tell DBPro what arguments it will accept and the return type if any.

When you use that command in a DBPro program, the compiler will assemble the arguments you provide, call the function with those arguments, then clean up when the function returns.

This is how it works, not only for the plug-ins we write and that you may write in the future, but also for the majority of the 'built-in' commands that come with DBPro.

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 01:39
fhtughryf,

This documentation is included with the DBPro install - but, it's a little buried, so that's the only reason I'm posting this - just in case you didn't see it:

In DarkBASIC Pro Editor:
-->Select "Help" from the Main Menu,
-->Commands Help
-->Technical Documents
-->Third Party Commands

fhtughryf
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks everyone for clearing this up for me! I never worked with DLLS before, never had to. I was a COBOL II programmer many years ago and I simply never used them and never had the chance to learn them.
fhtughryf
Years of Service
User Offline
I would also like to add the reason for my sudden interest in them is that I really enjoyed playing around with some well known user DLLS like multisync, and Sparky's collision dll and from that the interest for dll writing spawned in my brain.
The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 20:12
There is also the #include feature which I use for prototyping. But it isn't very secure as anyone can view and modify the source.

Ian G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 06:57 Edited at: 1st Aug 2008 06:58
Aaron Miller made a great template with a tutorial for creating plugins. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=97069&b=5

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 18:15:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 18:15:11