Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [TAC] the Werewolves of Lane's End

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 01:19 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2008 01:37
Well since I saw several other forum-goers posting their Text Adventure 2008 entries I decided to do the same, although I haven't got as much work done as they have!

I've mostly been going outdoors to various forests and fields with my sister (who refuses to let me use her camera unsupervised ) to photograph backgrounds for my game, and then editing them in photoshop.

I've also completed some game texts, now I need to get to work on some input code.

Now some more about the game:

A few weeks ago I played a card game called 'werewolves' at a friends birthday party. This is how it works:

-With about 8 or 9 people you have 3 werewolves and the rest are villagers. One of the villagers is also a Seer.
-Every game turn, everybody closes their eyes (going to sleep).
-The werewolves are woken up by the gamemaster and must confer (silently, using hand gestures) on which of the villagers they will murder. The werewolves then go back to sleep.
-The seer is woken up and may with a hand gesture ask the gamemaster to reveal the true identity of one of the other players (thumbs up werewolf, thumbs down villager). The seer goes back to sleep.
-There are several other special classes like the seer, I wont go into detail.
-Then the night is over and everybody 'wakes up'
-The GM reveals who the wolves decided to kill, and that player is removed from the game.
-Now, everybody decides together (by majority vote) who they will lynch for being a werewolf.

This is an AWESOME recipe for some crazy bluffing/charisma politics, and with some good friends the game is superbly fun. My text adventure will basically be this exact game, but with AI, so my big challenge is to make the NPCs appear suitably sly and sneaky.

Some of the extra classes im considering are:

-Witch (can make potions to kill or protect)
-Insomniac (cant sleep at night, so he can try to peek out his window and see whos being murdered by who)
-Hunter (if hes attacked at night, can shoot and kill one werewolf before he goes down - if its the last werewolf, he survives)
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 01:26 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2008 01:27
Oooooh, interesting, reminds me a little of 'Company of Wolves' by Angela Carter, good to see more of the competition out there. Might be worth mentioning what it's all about and what your aim is.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 01:36
Yup, sorry about that, I posted early by accident, so I edited the rest of the info in after the image.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 01:39
Haha, interesting there draknir_. Another worthy opponent!

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 01:42
Hehe, I'm waiting for an 'unworthy' opponent.

Now reading the game concept, sounds cool.

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 09:37
Sounds good. I remember there was a famous horror adventure game. May have been Dracula, but can't remember. Caused a stir at the time because apparently contained graphic images. Think was like the 1st 18 rated or something.

Your text doesn't look outlined but stands out nicely all the same (and suits a horror game better). Is it shadowed? ie. black version drawn above and to the left rather than all around like outline does.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 10:36
Quote: "A few weeks ago I played a card game called 'werewolves' at a friends birthday party. This is how it works:

-With about 8 or 9 people you have 3 werewolves and the rest are villagers. One of the villagers is also a Seer.
-Every game turn, everybody closes their eyes (going to sleep).
-The werewolves are woken up by the gamemaster and must confer (silently, using hand gestures) on which of the villagers they will murder. The werewolves then go back to sleep.
-The seer is woken up and may with a hand gesture ask the gamemaster to reveal the true identity of one of the other players (thumbs up werewolf, thumbs down villager). The seer goes back to sleep.
-There are several other special classes like the seer, I wont go into detail.
-Then the night is over and everybody 'wakes up'
-The GM reveals who the wolves decided to kill, and that player is removed from the game.
-Now, everybody decides together (by majority vote) who they will lynch for being a werewolf."

I love that game, It has some strange rules, but its fun non the less.

Anyway, Looks pretty good.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 19:00
thanks for the comments guys

@Dazzag: It is indeed shadowed, -2 horizontally -1 vertically
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 19:47
So let's say the seer discovers that person A is a werewolf - when everyone wakes up, can the seer say "that guy's a werewolf!" so everyone will lynch him - and then the other 2 werewolves can agree to lynch him, in order to disguise themselves?

Great concept - not the sort of thing I'd have thought of having in a text adventure, but it sounds intriguing!

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 20:50
The seer can indeed do that, but if you're a werewolf and every night one of the villagers accuses a real wolf, you can be quite sure he's a seer and it's in your best interest to kill him off right away.

There are some versions of the game where you have only seers and werewolves, but to make it more difficult there are several subtypes:

Paranoid Seer: Always gets the thumbs up to confirm a wolf.
Naive Seer: Always gets a thumbs down for villager.
Incompetent Seer: Always gets the opposite of the truth (wolf if its a villager, villager if its a wolf)

and of the course the players are unaware which type they are.
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 21:14
Ooh - I can see that this game is fairly complex, when you start thinking about what could happen!

Quote: "Paranoid Seer: Always gets the thumbs up to confirm a wolf.
Incompetent Seer: Always gets the opposite of the truth (wolf if its a villager, villager if its a wolf)"

I get the "incompetent seer", but I don't fully understand the others. I assumed the "regular" seer would always get a 100% accurate thumbs up/down, which would make Paranoid and Naive meaningless - does this mean that the gamemaster can lie to the seer, or is there a random chance of success when thumb upping/downing?

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 21:17
Quote: "There are some versions of the game where you have only seers and werewolves, but to make it more difficult there are several subtypes:

Paranoid Seer: Always gets the thumbs up to confirm a wolf.
Incompetent Seer: Always gets the opposite of the truth (wolf if its a villager, villager if its a wolf)

and of the course the players are unaware which type they are. "

Apparently your rule set is more recent then mine

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 22:39
@Darth Kiwi: Yes, the gamemaster can lie to a seer. The gamemaster knows who is a paranoid seer and who is a naive seer, so he can give them the appropriate info. The challenge with those rules is to figure out what kind of seer you are before you condemn all the innocent to being lynched

I played one game with my best friend sitting next to me. We always agree on things, so in the game we were always agreeing yeah she's a wolf, he's not, etc. We got a whole bunch of innocent people lynched and at the very end, turned out he was a wolf all along. I'm so gullible.

@PoD: It's not the rule set I played with, I found that one online. Theres a huge number of variations and extra classes to play with

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:24:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:24:16