Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I would like some questions answered, before I start a project...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
First and foremost, the one question I would like the answer to the most, is whether or not Darkbasic (1.X, not pro or with any hoots or gimmicks added on) can transfer information remotely. In other words, would I be able to make anything with online capabilities.

Second, I would appreciate any material someone could give me (or straight out tell me, if you don't mind) about just how much does Darkbasic do for you. If you wanted to, for instance, make two squares collide, and bounce off each other, would you have to manually code in the physics, trajectory, ect. to make the two react accordingly, or are there any built in commands, such as the one to make a square.

Finally, I am curious if 3d is all DB can do. Although I don't know the availability of something such as Visual Basic or anything like it (Last time I touched raw code was with Qbasic), but one of the things I am planning on for my engine are standalone editors so changing settings files wont be based on a simple .ini or .cfg file.

Any help would be appreciated. I have been thinking of creating a project for a while, but these three topics (ordered by priority) may prove to slow or (in the case of the first question) stop any progress completely.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2002 04:45
DB can def. do some 2D.

Final Fantasy, best series ever made.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2002 05:32
Of course DB can do 3D!!! If it couldn't there would be little point!

Anyway, no, DBx.1 cannot transfer info remotely without "hoots or gimmicks", but it can with DB's free upgrade, which allows for online gameplay. There are more advanced commands in the non-free ugrade as well. Then, therr is DB helper, which was instrumental in DB's first Online RPGs. Unfortunately, these no longer exist, and there have been no further serious attempts to my knowledge.

Second: It's hard to say. DB can do for you, what it can do for anyone else. It's just how you use it that matters. With the proper know how and patience, you can accomplish pretty much anything, some things being easy, some being almost impossible. But your example about cubs bouncing: No built in commands for bouncing, but there are built in collision commands, and you would have to code in the physics, but it has been done, and it really isn't that hard.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
Gilrad
Years of Service
User Offline
So about the online transfer... Simply put Yay or nay?
With what I have available (including anything free ), could I have a game client send a packet of information (position, orientation, trajectory, ect) to a server client, and in return have the server do the same?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 08:43:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 08:43:50