Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / how do i make a 3d level editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 05:42
All i want to do is make an editor that can place objects on only two axis and place were weapon pickups are can someone tell me how i may go about doing it

I'm a noob help will be accepted
Papa Stiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Umm, well considering you have a game to go with this editor, i'll try and explain how to place objects in game.

I'm a bit rusty on syntax(been in C++ lately) but i'll try and give you a quick rundown on what needs to happen.
-Well, 2D is much easier(for the mouse) so simply get the mouse_x,mousey when the mouse button is clicked.
-Next, use a variable that will count the number of, lets say squares for this example, that you want to make.
-If you planning on being able to make multiple objecs in this editor(which i imagine you are)set the variable to say 10 at first and give a maximum for it(say 100). That way you can set the next variable for the circles(or what ever) to 101 and max of 200 and the obj numbers wont conflict.
-Last, make new object(such as a set sprite or make object) and set the X,Y to the mouse_x,mouse_y you gathered from the click, increase the variable for the object number of the squares(to 11) and set it as the object number.

Again, im rusty on syntax so i cant give you exact words, but there is the jyst.

Hope it helps!(ill try and edit this post with some code)

Got some time to kill...? http://www.TheFlashArena.com
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 12:38
you can look on this that i posted some day ago its only 218 lines of code but the basics for you to add in.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=134081&b=6
cheers
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 17:06 Edited at: 26th Jul 2008 17:36
I've found that for a sidescroller game (which I think is what you're making) it's easier to make the editor in 2D, and then when your main program loads the information it creates 3D objects based on the locations marked in the level editor.

Edit: Sorry, trying to get my sig to work
Edit: Ah well...
White Fang 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 18:31
Well i working on a 2d editor and my game is a 3d deathmatch game that takes place from a top down prespective and can only move along two axis.

I'm a noob help will be accepted
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 02:55
then would this suite you as an base for your own editor
cheers

ps remove the ceiling object and change the camera position?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 18:21:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 18:21:02