Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Model Size vs Map Size

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 17:38
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to all of this game creation stuff ... so I'm sure you'll all be seeing me around regularly

I have a question, its probably such a basic question that most of you will able to help me out with it.

Its about model sizes versus map sizes.

Say I create a map (in 3D World Studio) thats just one room (for example) and I want the room to emulate a room that in real life would be 9 feet high.

Then I go to create a model of a person (in 3D Canvas Pro) that would emulate a person who in real life would be 6 feet tall.

How do you exactly create these two components to match in size so that they work with one another without one of them being either too big or too small?

I ask because I dont see a size chart, or size indicator, that would signify whether something you are making will be too big or too small.

Or does that even matter?
pirate
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 19:34
once you load the object you can scale it to the size you want it by using the scale object command....

scale object x,1000,1000,1000.....x is the object number,x,y,z...you can make it wider,taller, longer with the x,y,z...hope this helps

thanks, pirate
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 20:13 Edited at: 1st Aug 2008 20:17
Welcome to the forums!

A Scale Object Without Perentages

It's sortof an easier way to do SCALE OBJECT. I understand that you're new, and that you may or may not know how to use functions (if you don't, I wrote a tutorial (as did some others) in this thread: (Tutorials Thread))

Anyway, if/when you do understand functions, just scroll down to Cash Curtis II's function (it's easiest to do what you want with that one.) Just assume a certain number of DB units is a certain height. Say 1 DB unit = 1 foot. Then, using his function, you'd just do something like this:

for the person and

for the world. But yeah, SCALE OBJECT is your best bet. That function I linked to only manipulates SCALE OBJECT (and makes it a lot easier to do what you're trying to do)

Quantum Fusion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 21:49
Ah, I see, so basically you can arbitrarily assign it a value to determine its size in respect to another object in DB Pro (like Person vs. Map).

Therefore, really its size in the other model or world editors is irrelevant, would that be a correct assumption?

The other newbie question I have is regarding model movement. I know there are animated (like a character with a skeleton) and non-animated models.

If you want a model character to do some sort of movement (whether it be crouch, run, fall to the ground while its dying, etc) are those handling in DB Pro exclusively .... or is the model animated before hand, and then DB Pro simply executes that animation sequence?
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 00:20 Edited at: 16th Aug 2008 00:20
Sorry for responding so late, the thread didn't turn blue and it still said I was the last person to respond .

Quote: "Therefore, really its size in the other model or world editors is irrelevant, would that be a correct assumption?"

That is correct. You can always scale your model up or down. I never really pay much attention to the model's size in the world editor. I have yet to create a model for use in my own game, but I would assume that the only thing I'd pay attention to if I did make a model would be to make sure that the model is centered at 0,0,0 in the model editor. If it's not, then you may have trouble positioning it in your game (ex. the model's center could be at 50,0,0 in the model editor, and thus whenever you positioned your model in your game it would be offset on the X axis by 50.)

Quote: "If you want a model character to do some sort of movement (whether it be crouch, run, fall to the ground while its dying, etc) are those handling in DB Pro exclusively .... or is the model animated before hand, and then DB Pro simply executes that animation sequence? "

Usually one would animate the model before hand in a modeller, exporting it as a .x file. I have animated in DBP before, but it required me to make my own animation system .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 22:56
Quote: "If you want a model character to do some sort of movement (whether it be crouch, run, fall to the ground while its dying, etc) are those handling in DB Pro exclusively .... or is the model animated before hand, and then DB Pro simply executes that animation sequence? "

Yes, that would be done in an animation program before hand and then played in DBP, although it is possible to manipulate limbs and such to create your own "animations" in DBP. If you have any questions or just want help in starting out in game creation, just add me to either MSN at gamedev06+at+hotmail+dot+com or gamedev06+at+aol+dot+com, I'm always willing to help out newbies, especially ones that are willing to learn and intelligent, which you seem to be.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 18:24:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 18:24:04