Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / 2D Sprite/Game Tutorials?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I'm new to the DarkGDK and was hoping to start off small.. I was thinking of making a simple Sprite RPG, or something similar. I've gone through all the tutorials that came with the GDK, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a link to a good tutorial, or maybe a wiki or something.

Thanks in advance for the help. I also posted this on the 2D All the Way forum, so hopefully one of these gets a response.
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 00:16
If you're talking generalities WRT to game programming you might check out http://www.gamedev.net. Basically I think you need to think about how much you know about C/C++ and if you feel you're lacking, start studying up on that.

I think a lot of beginning programmers think in terms of looking at what's on the screen and doing something. The thing to realize is that what you see on the screen is really the visual representation of something stored in the program. Objects, if you will, and date pertaining to their state. This means maps too. As a programmer it's you're function to update the data with the program and then see to it that it gets put on the screen in a format you player relates to.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Orient
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, I'll take a look on the site you recommended. I've been programming in C++ since I was a freshman in Highschool (currently a Sophomore in college) and Java for a year or so.

Any other links would be great, and thank you Lilith, I'll be sure to check your link!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 15:30:06
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 15:30:06