Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Unreal 2 Multiplayer add-on?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2003 21:53
I have heard or rather came across this posting on the U2 forums saying that Legend are reviving their XMP design for U2.

This is what Mark Rein from Epic said:

"Lack of multiplayer is a temporary issue with Unreal2.

Legend are currently reviving their XMP design for mulitplayer and it will
be released as a FREE downloadable add-on for people who own Unreal2."

See: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=304763

Does this mean that Legend are no longer doing an Expansion for U2 or an Unreal 3?

Somebody mentioned to me by email that they read in a magazine that Atari/Legend were working on UT2004! I thought that Epic and Digital extremes working on this? As if there isn't enough UT's already around - why go over old ground again. And - for the love of god - why on earth would Legend want to work on this?

I've heard and so have other people heard rumours in the past that Legend were working on or planning an Unreal 3 (or whatever the sequel is called) were the story continues exactly were Unreal 2 left it. Lets hope that is still true. Lets hope the sequel is in Legend's hands With U2, they covered new ground in how these sort of games are made.

So anyone know the skinny on all of this?
I don't want footsteps following me...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2003 21:56
UT2004 looks good to me . I don't understand, why add inferior multiplayer to U2 when you can get an excellent mp package with UT2003/2004?

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2003 22:00
Would be good to have multiplayer on Unreal 2, although I dont see it happening, with UT2004 not too far away...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins and other exciting things - oh my, yes!
Starlight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2003 22:16
I agree with what you guys have just said. The BIG question that game to me was - What would U2 Multiplayer have to offer that UT 2003/2004 does not?

I looking forward to UT 2004 but it is really (so I heard) just an upgrade to UT 2003. In fact Atari might be offering a discount for those who already have UT 2003.

But why would someone from Epic posted that info. if it was not true? Well it would certainly piss people off if they said no, no U2 MP, its not happening after all. I'd certainly enjoy a multiplayer U2 FREE downloadable add-on! Maybe Legend are trying to expand on the replayability of U2 and since alot of people would like multiplayer - keeps people busy why Legend go an work on a sequel. Maybe. Personally I couldn't careless about MP I just want Legend to continue the story from where U2 left it. Most people who enjoyed U2 want this. Since Legend have not said anything openly about this...maybe...its true. Its when a games company starts giving away promises that one starts to become suspucious....

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2003 05:46
hmm... so they actually left it out?
coulda sworn ant telling me that they were gonna release the same version as they sent me - you complete the game on ultra in under 10hrs and it activated the additional menu allows you to go online and play Multiplayer with your your favourite characters.

there was also a command menu cheat for it
active_multiplayer_mode 1 or something silliliy simple like that
dunno though didn't talk to the guys since well before E3.

however the multiplayer was far far different to UT's ... it was more strategy based than all guns blazing, especially as you could like have the locations from the game with all of the physics for that area applied. you could could like shut down the grav generator on the atlantis and such. the aim was more for like groups of 4-6people that entire battallions of people just scrambling to the same weapons. made me think that its what Goldeneye would've been like if it'd been translated.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2003 06:06
'coulda sworn ant telling me that they were gonna release the same version as they sent me - you complete the game on ultra in under 10hrs and it activated the additional menu allows you to go online and play Multiplayer with your your favourite characters.'

No way would they be stupid enough to do something like that. If they really added multiplayer, it'd be a menu option from when you launched the game.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2003 07:08
mouse you don't remember what they were saying prior to release about how it was a "single player only" game.
the idea was that they gave everyone single player, so people played it - but if were really good at the game you could unlock to go online.

i can't remember why they had to make it single player only now though cause the multiplayer was in there from a very early beta - and is much better than the UT netcode.

i dunno, i bet its still in there - there could just be a debate going on whether to unlock it or not... i reckon that it still is setup for elite gamers only, and Epic probably want to setup the activation for everyone to use.
this could be a sign of UT slippage - or maybe they prefer the Ur2 netsetup.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2003 07:14
beat it in 11 hours on ultra, gonna go through it one more time and see if fact or fibb or just dropped.

Opinions are like a$$holes, Everybody has one.
Starlight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 23:12
"mouse you don't remember what they were saying prior to release about how it was a "single player only" game. the idea was that they gave everyone single player, so people played it - but if were really good at the game you could unlock to go online."

I think it was about a year before the game was released that they announced that they had dropped the multiplayer aspect and it would be a single player only game. I am not aware of they gave a reason for it. I assume they couldn't get it to work with their existing design. I am grateful that they focused all their time and energies in making it a pure SP exprience, though. An XMP game for U2 should be seperate but I don't understand why they didn't just announce that they would get the MP sorted when U2 got released.

People have said they you can get U2 to work over a LAN or a direct connection with local PCs and play together - I bet at least some of the net code must be in there. And there are BOT maps out there to use that mods have done.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 23:55
I'm pretty sure there are sites on cracking the game to get MP working, but of course only over direct connect. I don't really know, I don't even own the game.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:35:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:35:21