Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Protecting the game files (models, textures, etc). Maybe File Blocks? not sure..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 05:59
The demo programs that I have experimented with so far (and my quick test programs) all expose the elements used to create the game (models as .x files, texture jpegs, sound wavs, etc).

That's fine for the media that I don't mind sharing, but eventually I will work on something serious and want to protect or hide my game files so that they can't be ripped and used by others.

Is there a way to do this? Looks like maybe the File Block structure in the Enhancement Pack will do this.. though I have just read a couple of threads where people say that their models don't get their textures when loaded from a block, and I don't want to temporarily extract to a temp directory as that loses the security of the files (yup, I'm that picky!)
..?

games and stuff that I've made: www.rickyvuckovic.com
Nano brain
Years of Service
User Offline
Why not just compile the exe to include the files within itself...instead of without?
Choinkees
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 07:30 Edited at: 7th Aug 2008 07:35
...oops.. good point, forgot that you can embed the media in the EXE. Thanks

I'll eventually hit a point where the mega EXE gets too big, but I can at least protect the bits that I really want to, and then have the other stuff in File Blocks or something..

-edit: just noticed stuff in Configure EXE Settings about attached media that can be compressed and encrypted.. maybe that would do it. I can't find any explanations of what any of those settings mean in the help file! ..or maybe the trial version has a very limited help file..

Cool, thanks Nano brain!

games and stuff that I've made: www.rickyvuckovic.com
Anonymous User
Years of Service
User Offline
It has to extract and decrypt the media to an external folder anyway, I'm not sure which one but it is somewhere. So it's pretty much useless. The only way to make sure all of your assets are safe is to create a custom file format for every type of media. By that would be far too time consuming and the loading speeds would be abyssmal.

???
Nano brain
Years of Service
User Offline
Good point AU. Hmmmm....seems hopeless. Well, I guess this is where copyrighting comes in handy...heheh.
Ed222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2008 08:55
or create most of what you can in dbp itself it would take a bit of time to code but at least it'll make it harder for them to steal.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 18:26:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 18:26:47