Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Continuous Online Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi.
Ive been working on a project which is based on an online game called omricon beta,simular to TDZK, if anybody here has ever played it. Basically its coming on well and i would say its half finished, but its only offline so far.

I was wondering, would it be POSSIBLE to make it online, you see my problem is that its not 3d and its text based and needs to save all the data for all players to read, but where would i save this data. It cant be read from another computer without it being sent, and if im offline, i cant recieve what everybody else has done and they cant send thier data to me, is there anyway around this?
Anti Human
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 03:15
full time server (like the different server/worlds you can play in most MMORPG's (EQ,EQ2,FF-XI,WoW,DDO,SW-G,etc.)

most Peer2Peer multi-player games that i'v played (so maybe not all of them ever made) are fast paced, RTS and FPS mostly.

for something like a text-based mutli-player game, i would think you'd need a server that's always online. use it to store the data (player actions, mail boxes (if players can mail each other) and all that other good stuff). then when a player logs on, it sends all the stored info.

the near-worthless book i spend $50 on for DB has some stuff in about server-based vs. P2P-based game coding.

then again the book also says you save and load arrays with the full dimensions value in the command, so i won't bother looking the MP stuff up atm.

another idea you might look in to so mail; if it's a turn based game atleast. i'v played acouple games of Civ2-4 by emailing "turns" back and forth, same with Steel Panthers: world at war.

hope this gives ya some idea's atleast. good luck

Today is a good day, at least compared to tomorrow.
And every day is a good day to die, because then, there is no tomorrow
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks it is a turn based game and will have message system,
How much would a Server cost, Or are there any free?
Destrugter 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 22:25 Edited at: 15th Aug 2008 22:25
Ok, you should look into cattle rustler's mysql dll...idk exactly what it does...if it can store information you can have people register an account...store the information in a database and have them play the game and just store the information in the database everytime the player takes a turn.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 18:17:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 18:17:05