Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Game Creation - Large Terrains?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey all, Just here with two quick questions...
Can DarkBasic pro Create and handle large enviroments such as large outdoor FPS levels?
And if not, any optimations i can make use of to achieve this?

And second, Stupid as it may sound, is there a link on the forums to find people to help a project? like recruiting?
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 05:29
Quote: "Hey all, Just here with two quick questions...
Can DarkBasic pro Create and handle large enviroments such as large outdoor FPS levels?
And if not, any optimations i can make use of to achieve this?"

Yeah, you could use advance terrain to make large terrains.

Quote: "And second, Stupid as it may sound, is there a link on the forums to find people to help a project? like recruiting? "

We did have a Team Request board a long time ago but it's long gone now because of the amount of junk in it. So if you did want to get teammates you would have to have a huge amount of progress already on your project, meaning more than just a cube on a matrix.

The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 14:36
Hmm, depends how large you want your terrain to be. If the frame rate gets too slow you might want to check out an LOD algorithm

Being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?
app developer
Years of Service
User Offline
what type of help do you need? graphics designer or programmer?
Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 00:26 Edited at: 28th Aug 2008 00:27
well, for getting help i would make a nicely sized wip, and then often times you wont get in trouble for asking for help. most of our biggest projects here where made by one person about a third to half of big game, then they pulled some people together to help. have fun

What do you get when you combine the 2 coolest things ever? JESUSAURISREX!
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 05:12 Edited at: 28th Aug 2008 05:13
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=110667&b=1

All about LOD Massive terrains. (Level Of Detail)

This would be under the "Optimizing" part of your question.

But, i have no clue how they manage the impressive visuals such as in oblivion. Ontop of a mountain you can see everything for miles... err, "miles"
It'd be possible to use raycasting to see where your player should be able to see, and achieve the same effect, but still.

And, personally, i would use height maps, but thats just me.

Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2008 22:49 Edited at: 29th Aug 2008 22:49
height maps are so difficult to use though. i would use this program called visual terrain maker:
http://www.ungsoft.com/vtm/index.html
lets you build terrains with ease and lets you construct .x files out of them. that way you can easily add more models to it and make caves, ect. if you have any problems with it just post it.

the only bad thing about it is it has no undo button so play around before expecting good results.

What do you get when you combine the 2 coolest things ever? JESUSAURISREX!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 20:23:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 20:23:47