Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / FPSC X10 - ButterCutter Compatibility Issues

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 03:54
Ok, I'm hoping there are enough people that own both FPSC X10 and ButterCutter to help out with this.

Basically I installed ButterCutter into my FPSC X10 directory and found all of the regular CSG holes, holes with wooden slats, holes with metal bracing etc worked fine but none of the destroyable segment walls do.

I'm particularly interested in the 'destructable wall' segment which can be destroyed in order to pass with a pre animated mesh that breaks down in 2 stages leaving sections of the wall all over the floor with your custom texture.

I isolated the files required for this feature in buttercutter which are:

Entitybank
plaster.dds
totallydestroyable.bin
totallydestroyable.dbo
totallydestroyable.x
totaltrash.fpe
totaltrash.bin

Meshbank
blocked.x
low3.x
wood.dds

Scriptbank
breakableplaster.fpi

Segments
Solid no cutter.bin
Solid no cutter.bmp
Solid no cutter.dbo
Solid non cutter.fps

When placed into an FPSC X9 installation directory the destroyable segment wall comes into the editor and works perfectly in game.

Using exactly the same files I tried importing into FPSC X10 and got and error message 'Runtime Error 7018 - Could not load 3D object at line 14775'.

Then I tried replacing the .dbo and .bin files created by FPSC X10 with those for FPSC X9 and got a different error message 'Runtime Error 5104 - Could not create memblock at line 11234'.

If anyone has FPSC X10 / ButterCutter and can help with this problem I'd be grateful. Unfortunately I can't upload the files as this would be in breach of the AUP.
crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 02:35
Judging from the help I've gotten on this forum, you seem to know more about this software (x10) than anyone else who posts here. Seems as though nobody has figured out how to even make a simple custom weapon, let alone this. Good luck to you though.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 01:28
Thanks for the comment.

Its looking like I'll be working on this one alone for the time being.

Maybe I'll have made some progress by the time someone else hits this wall. Excuse the pun.
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
I would try to help but I don't have ButterCutter.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 21:59 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2008 23:10
Thanks man

Ok, I've gone ahead and done a bunch of testing on there.

The cutter next level animated wall mesh is compatible with the X10 mesh loader where the buttercutter version does not.

Therefore its possible to use the cutter next level destroyable entity wall out of the box or the buttercutters destroyable segment wall by amending its .fps to reference the entity cutter next level wall rather than its own.

That works great, texture can be customised in the editor, collision is fine i.e. wall has collision if fresh or partially destroyed and no collision if completely destroyed.

Attached pic shows the wall successfully imported into FPSC X10.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 22:03 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2008 22:07
There is however 1 thing which I'm still having to look at.

In FPSC X9 if you place a light source in front of the wall then test in game it looks completely flat as shown in the attached pic.

Attachments

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 22:06 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2008 22:09
Now if you place a light in front of the wall in FPSC X10 then test in game you can see the seams on the wall as shown in the attached pic.

I'm not sure why this is at the moment.

The good news is you can have a functional destructable environment in FPSC X10 and looks fine with ambient light but need to now figure out whats going on with the rendering side of things.

Attachments

game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
I think I have an idea of why the wall is not flat. I think it is because when the light is rendered it treats every single wall chunk as if it is a different entity. So instead of making one bumpmap for the entire wall it is making a different bumpmap for each wall piece.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2008 04:23
Hi game freak16

Thanks for the info. Lee said to me that

Quote: "X10 calculates the lighting on a per pixel basis and takes reference to the direction the surface is facing from the vertex normals and the normal map. It looks like the vertex normals have been smoothed, whereas they should all face forwards (away from the surface). Experiment with normals in the mesh and see how X10 handles them."

Also I realised when importing the .X file Milkshape only imports the mesh and not the animations so when I export again I lose all the animation data.

At least I know what the 2 problems are now but will need to figure out the vertex normals side of things and see if I can get an application which can import .X files and retain the animation data.

Here's how the mesh looks in Milkshape. I found an option under face called reverse vertex order which looked promising but didn't solve the problem.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 07:27:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 07:27:26